Criminal Court hands a very lenient sentence to pistol-wielding civil servant

webfact

Criminal Court hands a very lenient sentence to pistol-wielding civil servant

By THE NATION

800_f6bd41f030cdc30.jpg?v=1603180505

Piset Nakapan, assistant to the National Anti-Corruption Commission’s secretary-general, was on Tuesday given a jail sentence and a Bt31,000 fine for threatening a Bangkok cabbie in 2018.

On October 10, 2018, the 54-year-old jumped out of his black Honda to point a pistol at a taxi behind him, yelling: “Why are you following me? Use other routes!” 

The incident in the Government Complex in Bangkok’s Lak Si was recorded by the cab’s dashboard camera and later became viral on the internet. 

Piset faced charges of carrying a firearm in public without good reason, threatening others and violating the criminal code.

Full story: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30396489

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-20

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

I can't for the life of me understand why civil servants here all need guns. They have brochures for guns handed around the office and get discounts. My wifes sister husband is a civil servant and also drives a taxi on the weekends. He is always trying to sell me guns. 

Just an extension of their manhood

• Like 2

The bit I don't get is, that this gun touting nutter overtook the taxi (rather dangerously) then blocked the road to stop him. And asked 'why are you following me?' Huh?

Thank goodness the female was there to calm the situation.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

" Why are you following me " are words coming from a very paranoid fool with a gun

I hope his prison sentence is more than a few weeks

Has any one of you stopped to think that the Taxi had been following too closely and for too long .... Maybe this guy was 'in the right' to yell at the taxi............ AND his 'ONLY OFFENCE' was waving the gun around........... But he didn't use it...........

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, katana said:

There was a bit more info on his sentencing from an article in the Thaipost.net of 20/10/20.
He was found guilty of threatening someone with a gun for which he was imprisoned for 2 years and fined 60k Baht. He was also fined 2000 Baht for possession of a weapon in a built up area.
Due to his confession, the punishment was halved to 1 year in prison and 31k Baht.
He was of previous good character and had compensated the injured party so the sentence was postponed and he was put on probation for 2 years with the stipulation he had to report every 4 months of the 1st year to the authorities.
So in summary, he escaped any custodial sentence.

Not bad for pointing a gun at someone in the street.

22 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

I can't for the life of me understand why civil servants here all need guns. They have brochures for guns handed around the office and get discounts. My wifes sister husband is a civil servant and also drives a taxi on the weekends. He is always trying to sell me guns. 

To protect themselves from our civil servants with guns. Protection of your position in the low level troughs is also dangerous.

Edited by Reigntax
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, kensawadee said:

Has any one of you stopped to think that the Taxi had been following too closely and for too long .... Maybe this guy was 'in the right' to yell at the taxi............ AND his 'ONLY OFFENCE' was waving the gun around........... But he didn't use it...........

You did watch the video in post #10 did you?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kensawadee said:

Before mentioning that some needed to stop and think - well please stop and check the video, the taxi was in  front of the taxi until the Honda undertook the taxi and then slowd down and stopped in the road. Another novel idea from a Thai taxi driver - follow them by being in front of the car you are following. Maybe a good tactic for the BiB.

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2020 at 3:10 PM, webfact said:

Piset Nakapan, assistant to the National Anti-Corruption Commission’s secretary-general, was on Tuesday given a jail sentence

Really?  One hour?  The article says nothing.  My guess is the jail sentence is nothing as well.  Given the lack of details it seems as though it's still being buried.

On 10/22/2020 at 9:40 AM, rkidlad said:

Amazing!

These are the kind of sentences you can expect when you're one of the 'good guys'. 

These are the kind of sentences you can expect when you're one of the 'wise guys'.