“The Stranded”: Highlighting the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand: #5 “From retirement dream to pariah”

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

“The Stranded”: Highlighting the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand. #5 “From retirement dream to pariah”   File photo   Today we continue our series of articles ab

It seems most are tired of these sob stories...it's a global pandemic, the first in 100 years. When it has passed, all will return to normal.

Oh, please; to compare Thailand’s lockdown with the Khmer Rouge is so disgusting it defies sensible comment, as does “if I’d anticipated the lockdown I would’ve given away my condo and possessions”...

Posted Images

• webfact changed the title to “The Stranded”: Highlighting the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand: #5 “From retirement dream to pariah”
6 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

True, I would like to say if Authorities were to look a little closer at retirees abroad, married or NOT, given what's required to keep a Non O retired extension yearly, I've said for months, we have a substantial balance in your banks, wake up ! 

We, you and all have 2 hopes for early return.

And one is Bob Hope, the other is .. hope!!🙄🙄🙄🙄😷😷😷😷

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'm certainly sympathetic that he's not currently able to follow through on his long-planned retirement, but it sounds as though he's never had any status here other than tourist. If he really wants to enter as a retiree, isn't the Thai Embassy in London theoretically taking applications for O-A visas at the moment? It may not be ideal, but it seems like an easier course than selling off all of his property in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Guderian said:

If Thailand had a formal retirement programme then people would be right to complain, but it doesn't and most retirees will be living here on one-year extensions of stay which are just a temporary permission to remain in the country for a little while longer.

And it's no different in many countries that do..."Malaysia My Second Home" program participants haven't been able to enter the country since the start of Malaysia's border closure. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 2