4000 thb for tooth filling?

Adam219

I had a tooth filling done at Saint Louis, I was kinda shocked when I was given my 4000 thb bill. 

I've never had dental work outside of the UK so no idea of what things should cost, but I had been told Saint Louis was good value.

I need to have a tooth removed, for which they say will cost between 5500 and 11000 depending on difficulty/time to remove. 

Is this the going rate?

In their favour, the place seems very professional and very skilled, so I would be confident that they would do a good job and could handle any complications.

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

300-500bht for a tooth out in Thailand.

You see lots of Thais with missing teeth because it's the cheapest fix.

I had 2 teeth completely rebuilt a while back, 800bht each.

In this case its an impacted wisdom tooth right at the back, theres no fix for it, it shouldnt be there, but I understand what you're saying.

I think I'll cancel the appointment and ask around. 

A filling should be 500 to 900 baht and extractions about the same, these are prices recently paid.

You could perhaps double the above at a very nice private hospital, but the price you paid and have been quoted seems very excessive.

If offered antibiotics afterwards at a private hospital  you can often be charged  five of six hundred baht for the same pills that you can buy yourself in the local pharmacy for 50/60 baht etc.

4 minutes ago, Adam219 said:

In this case its an impacted wisdom tooth right at the back, theres no fix for it, it shouldnt be there, but I understand what you're saying.

https://www.whatclinic.com/dentists/thailand/wisdom-teeth-extraction

Lists loads of places, your quote seems to be 3x-5x the most expensive listed.

Edited by BritManToo

7 minutes ago, Adam219 said:

That's probably more expensive, often done in hospital if general anesthetic required

Edited by scubascuba3

About 14 years ago I got stung for 6k for x rays, a consultation with some snotty cow who wanted me to crown all wisdom teeth and one front filling. This was at dental Hospital in the Sukumvit area. I declined the price for the major work and never have had that done, now I always ask the price, most decent dentists will tell you anyway and not do unnecessary work, the couple of other Hospitals I went to were the same, seem under pressure to get as much out of the patient as they can, small one man businesses are best.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adam219 said:

If anyone can recommend somewhere around chong nonsi, I'd appreciate it.

Mahidol Dental centre near vic monument walk able from the BTS station is cheapish and loads of dentists, x ray was 100 baht last year!

19 minutes ago, Adam219 said:

I paid 500 thb for removal wisdom tooth at dentistry faculty Chulalongkorn University (not same as Chulalongkorn M. Hospital).

Edited by orchis
spelling
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

300-500bht for a tooth out in Thailand.

You see lots of Thais with missing teeth because it's the cheapest fix.

I had 2 teeth completely rebuilt a while back, 800bht each.

just had 1 done last week 1,000 baht

I had to have a second root canal on the same tooth, (the second canal). The filled canal was with metal, (about 10 years ago). Anyway, whole procedure, removal, cleaning, new filler plus new crown about THB50k...at the Dental Hospital.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, samtam said:

I had to have a second root canal on the same tooth, (the second canal). The filled canal was with metal, (about 10 years ago). Anyway, whole procedure, removal, cleaning, new filler plus new crown about THB50k...at the Dental Hospital.

I would've had it pulled.

• Like 1

It seems many hospitals now want to look like 5 star hotels. And that's what they charge.

My dentist, who I see in her clinic, used to work in BNH. Recently she told me what I did in her clinic would have cost in the hospital about 3000B. And she, the doctor doing the work, would receive about 500B from that money. That's why she does not work in the hospital anymore.

It seems many doctors (dental and others) work sometimes in one or more hospitals and also in their own private clinic. You can get the same doctor for huge price differences depending on where you go.

If you want a recommendation about a good and reasonably priced dentist in Bangkok send me a PM.

"In their favour, the place seems very professional and very skilled, so I would be confident that they would do a good job and could handle any complications."

Well that all that matters then isn't it?

If you are having a wisdom tooth removed and you are put under general anesthetic you will need a qualified anesthetist in attendance plus nurse and dentist. 

Edited by Chris.B

Extraction of impacted wisdom tooth is altogether different from a routine extraction. And price differences may reflect different levels/types of anesthesia so be sure to ask about that as you might otherwise be comparing apples and oranges. You won't get knocked out except at a hospital and that is IMO worth paying more for.

That said, 4000 for a filling alone is unusual and I question it. Specifically:

- were there no Xrays done first, that would acocunt for part of the cost?

-no cleaning done at same time (ditto)

-was this a composite filling or amalgm? Composite fillings do cost more and easily 2000 if a large one.

If it was Xrays, cleaning and composite filling then 4000 would make sense. Possibly even just Xray and composite alone, given the inevitable hospital charge which is part of every bill.

But not 4000 for the filling alone. That can't be right.

It would help if you could post a pix of the bill (block out your name first)

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It would help if you could post a pix of the bill (block out your name first)

1 periapical film - 150

doctor fee periapical film - 50

filling - 1313

doctor filling fee - 2187

medical equipments - 350

I did have an x-ray and the filling was actually a repair to an existing filling (composite/white) , it took him about 10 minutes. I didnt ask for an x-ray but it was done before I even realised. That being said, the x-ray appears to have cost me 200.

27 minutes ago, Adam219 said:

1 periapical film - 150

doctor fee periapical film - 50

filling - 1313

doctor filling fee - 2187

medical equipments - 350

I did have an x-ray and the filling was actually a repair to an existing filling (composite/white) , it took him about 10 minutes. I didnt ask for an x-ray but it was done before I even realised. That being said, the x-ray appears to have cost me 200.

That is high. The Dental Hospital, which is what I always use and is far from low end in price, runs only about 1500 - 2500 for a composite filling with no seperate charge for the dentist.