Beheaded teacher Paty will get France's highest honour - minister

snoop1130

Beheaded teacher Paty will get France's highest honour - minister

2020-10-20T071944Z_2_LYNXMPEG9J0HF_RTROPTP_4_FRANCE-SECURITY-PATY.JPG

FILE PHOTO: People gather at the Place de la Republique in Paris, to pay tribute to Samuel Paty, the French teacher who was beheaded on the streets of the Paris suburb of Conflans-Sainte-Honorine, France, October 18, 2020. Placard reads "I am a Samuel". REUTERS/Charles Platiau/File Photo

PARIS (Reuters) - Samuel Paty, the 47-year old history teacher beheaded by a suspected Islamist last week, will posthumously get France's highest award, the "Legion d'Honneur", education minister Jean-Michel Blanquer told BFM TV on Tuesday.

Paty was murdered on Friday in broad daylight outside his school in a middle-class Paris suburb by an 18-year-old of Chechen origin. Police shot the attacker dead.

The teenager sought to avenge his victim's use of caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad in a class on freedom of expression. Muslims believe that any depiction of the Prophet is blasphemous.

The murder shocked France, and carried echoes of the attack five years ago on the offices of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo. Public figures called the killing an attack on the Republic and on French values.

A national ceremony in honour of Paty will be held at Paris' Sorbonne university on Wednesday.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-10-20

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, UB40 said:

What a freaking joke to give a medal "postume" to that man. He won't return to life and his family doesn't care about such "honor"

They're trying to send a message. But, like, if you have to deserve a

Légion d'honneur to criticise Islam, what message is that sending.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Susco said:
2 hours ago, nausea said:

Interesting the headline now says beheaded and not knifed.

2 hours ago, Susco said:

The headline has always been beheaded in the majority of western media

The poster is clearly referring to this article in TVF.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The poster is clearly referring to this article in TVF.

Yes, and my point was that the headline used in the initial TVF report always was wrong, because the teacher was beheaded, and should have been reported like that.

Why Reuters downplayed the terrorist attack is unknown to me, but the majority of news sources in the world wrote what really happened.

this one is INTERESTING.  Close the Mosques....  and I can see France going more the way of Thailand.  Much more nationalistic, and the test will be "if you cannot assimilate with the French people, leave."

Because of COVID and what's been happening in many countries, this will become BIG very soon......it sort of it already.   I mean 100x.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ventenio said:

this one is INTERESTING.  Close the Mosques....  and I can see France going more the way of Thailand.  Much more nationalistic, and the test will be "if you cannot assimilate with the French people, leave."

Because of COVID and what's been happening in many countries, this will become BIG very soon......it sort of it already.   I mean 100x.  

There’s no place for a religion that endorses violence in such a beautiful country like France. I fear it’s too late though. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Susco said:

Why Reuters downplayed the terrorist attack is unknown to me, but the majority of news sources in the world wrote what really happened.

You do understand Reuters is viewed as supportive of the centre right wing - conspiracy allegations are so boring. Very likely at the time of the initial report Reuters were not aware the man had actually been decapitated. Later Reuter's reports do refer to the decapitation e.g.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-security/tribute-planned-for-beheaded-teacher-in-france-11th-person-arrested-idUSKBN2730DH

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, polpott said:

There are 2 million indigenous Moslems in Thailand and 2 million immigrant Moslems. The problems in the extreme south aren't really a religious issue, more a separatist issue, same as N. Ireland.

I live within earshot of 2 mosques and see no animosity locally. They have integrated seamlessly.

Actually the 2015 Thai census showed a population of 2.8 million Thai Muslim citizens, nearly all being Sunni.

https://www.google.com/search?q=thai+muslim+population&oq=thai+muslim+population&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30l5.8966j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

As a comparison to France, the Thai State supports funding for the maintenance of mosques and contributes 50% of the funds if the local community raised 50% of the cost of a new build. Additionally there is a Thai Muslim advisor, representing all Thai Muslims, to the Deleted. As you say Thailand, excepting the deep South conflict due to non representation in the past, has done a good job with integration - any lessons to be learnt for France? Perhaps very difficult due to the Wahabi influence which has taken a strong hold within some French Muslim groups. France has commenced deportation of Salafi Imams, but how do French authorities transition the resultant resentment?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Susco said:

Yes, and my point was that the headline used in the initial TVF report always was wrong, because the teacher was beheaded, and should have been reported like that.

Reuters is often the first news media to break stories on the media. A lot of their income is from syndication, so they need to be quick.

So they will have reported what they had been told at the time. And if the initial press release said that a teacher had died in a knife attack, then that is what they would have said. And let's face it, it wasn't wholly inaccurate was it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sirocco said:

The immigrants brought, in this country, only violence, incivility, non respect of the values, of the laws specific to France.

It appears you forgot to preface that comment with the word "Some of..."

The again, maybe you are a broad brush style painter?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sirocco said:

simple1

As your specialty is "knowledge of France, its customs and traditions", can I allow myself a contribution to expand your knowledge:

I quote excerpts from your very constructive post:

"In comparison with France, the Thai state supports the financing of the maintenance of mosques and contributes 50% of the funds if the local community has raised 50% of the cost of a new construction
  Thailand has done a good job on integration - lessons for France? "

My right to express myself:

In comparison with Thailand, foreigners in France benefit from multiple aids, ranging from housing, family allowance, social protection, free canteens for children, free schools, various vouchers, reimbursement of their Arab festivals. , and I forget some, because the list is very long.
All these advantages without working.
As an option, France provides very substantial assistance in the construction of schools, hospitals, wells ... to countries which have requested their independence for more than 60 years.
But yes, France has done a "good" job in terms of integration.
The immigrants brought, in this country, only violence, incivility, non respect of the values, of the laws specific to France.
Lessons to be learned for Thailand ?????

I do wish some members, including yourself, cease making false assertions regards my self. I have never posted or insinuated my specialty is "knowledge of France, its customs and traditions". If you are using sarcasm, likely, I'll remind you 'sarcasm is the lowest form of wit'.

Sure there are members of the French Muslim community who subscribe to and act upon Salafi ideology, do they represent the majority? No, not even close, so why express vilification against all Muslims, it is totally unproductive, as counter terrorism professionals inform.

You well know France, in a number of instances did a terrible job of transitioning ex colonies to independence; immediately coming to mind are Vietnam, Syria and Algeria. To infer a country can never learn from another, is extreme hubris. IMO what does not help France is the extremist hatred  represented by some French member posts on this forum.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, kensawadee said:

If they want to be seperate from Thailand then why don't they go where things please them.... They are in Thailand, WHY should they expect Thailand to give them their land for their own selfish religious reasons?????????

<SNIP>

It's Off Topic so don't know if Mods will permit to address countering lack of factual info.

Thai Muslims have been resident nationals for centuries. BTW, the deep South provinces were transferred to Thailand, against the will of the locals, by the British to get then Siam onboard to assist with stopping French influence in the region: refer....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Siamese_Treaty_of_1909

• Like 1

15 hours ago, evadgib said:

The copper who slotted the oik should be honoured rather than the victim IMO.

The murdered French teacher will get his nation's highest honor.

Meanwhile, his murderer has already obtained his extreme religious belief's highest honor of martyrdom.