Beheaded teacher Paty will get France's highest honour - minister

Beheaded teacher Paty will get France's highest honour - minister

2020-10-20T071944Z_2_LYNXMPEG9J0HF_RTROPTP_4_FRANCE-SECURITY-PATY.JPG

FILE PHOTO: People gather at the Place de la Republique in Paris, to pay tribute to Samuel Paty, the French teacher who was beheaded on the streets of the Paris suburb of Conflans-Sainte-Honorine, France, October 18, 2020. Placard reads "I am a Samuel". REUTERS/Charles Platiau/File Photo

PARIS (Reuters) - Samuel Paty, the 47-year old history teacher beheaded by a suspected Islamist last week, will posthumously get France's highest award, the "Legion d'Honneur", education minister Jean-Michel Blanquer told BFM TV on Tuesday.

Paty was murdered on Friday in broad daylight outside his school in a middle-class Paris suburb by an 18-year-old of Chechen origin. Police shot the attacker dead.

The teenager sought to avenge his victim's use of caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad in a class on freedom of expression. Muslims believe that any depiction of the Prophet is blasphemous.

The murder shocked France, and carried echoes of the attack five years ago on the offices of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo. Public figures called the killing an attack on the Republic and on French values.

A national ceremony in honour of Paty will be held at Paris' Sorbonne university on Wednesday.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-10-20

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They should honor him by plastering the cartoons everywhere

The copper who slotted the oik should be honoured rather than the victim IMO.

There are 2 million indigenous Moslems in Thailand and 2 million immigrant Moslems. The problems in the extreme south aren't really a religious issue, more a separatist issue, same as N. Ireland.

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, nausea said:

Interesting the headline now says beheaded and not knifed.

The headline has always been beheaded in the majority of western media

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Susco said:

Missed that. I saw the initial reports. 

42 minutes ago, UB40 said:

What a freaking joke to give a medal "postume" to that man. He won't return to life and his family doesn't care about such "honor"

They're trying to send a message. But, like, if you have to deserve a

Légion d'honneur to criticise Islam, what message is that sending.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Susco said:
2 hours ago, nausea said:

Interesting the headline now says beheaded and not knifed.

2 hours ago, Susco said:

The poster is clearly referring to this article in TVF.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The poster is clearly referring to this article in TVF.

Yes, and my point was that the headline used in the initial TVF report always was wrong, because the teacher was beheaded, and should have been reported like that.

Why Reuters downplayed the terrorist attack is unknown to me, but the majority of news sources in the world wrote what really happened.

this one is INTERESTING.  Close the Mosques....  and I can see France going more the way of Thailand.  Much more nationalistic, and the test will be "if you cannot assimilate with the French people, leave."

Because of COVID and what's been happening in many countries, this will become BIG very soon......it sort of it already.   I mean 100x.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
1 minute ago, Ventenio said:

this one is INTERESTING.  Close the Mosques....  and I can see France going more the way of Thailand.  Much more nationalistic, and the test will be "if you cannot assimilate with the French people, leave."

Because of COVID and what's been happening in many countries, this will become BIG very soon......it sort of it already.   I mean 100x.  

There’s no place for a religion that endorses violence in such a beautiful country like France. I fear it’s too late though. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, nausea said:

They're trying to send a message. But, like, if you have to deserve a

Légion d'honneur to criticise Islam, what message is that sending.

you're totally out of topic

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1