Nonthaburi Retirement Extension Report

First extension on an O-A visa. Had updated bank book and bank letter from this morning. Upon arrival, told I needed a three month statement to verify even though all transactions clearly represented in updated bank book. Off the bank...30 minutes away in traffic. Lunch and back for the 1pm opening. 2 1/2 hours of waiting before seeing IO. Checked insurance database for my LMG policy. Another 1 hour wait for passport and bank book return. Interesting too..they actually took the bank book down to the update ATM outside and did a one line update to verify balance. Too funny. Not told I need to come back in 3 months to check balance but asked to sign a register verifying that I understand the rules of keeping the balances topped off at proper intervals. All in all not too bad but the ATM update kind if shocked me given all the other evidence presented. About 3 1/2 hours total in office.

Hi. Tony,

Thanks for sharing your post just now about your experience renewing your OA visa.

If you wouldn't mind sharing details about the insurance policy. you obtained from LMG that would also be helpful to me as I will be preparing an OA application packet shortly.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tonray said:

First extension on an O-A visa. Had updated bank book and bank letter from this morning. Upon arrival, told I needed a three month statement to verify even though all transactions clearly represented in updated bank book.

Hi,

You wrote that your IO required a three month bank statement.

But did they also want that the funds (800K) were seasoned for 3 months?  I always understood that the requirement for a first time application is TWO months of seasoned funds at the moment of application.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jackson2513 said:

Hi. Tony,

Thanks for sharing your post just now about your experience renewing your OA visa.

If you wouldn't mind sharing details about the insurance policy. you obtained from LMG that would also be helpful to me as I will be preparing an OA application packet shortly.

HI, I did PM you a Guideline document with Tips & Caveats on how to subscribe to the LMG Insurance Plan-1 policy.

> To check your PM-messages just click the letter icon next to your profile when logged-in to the Forum.

I renewed my extension of stay based on an OA ( retirement ) a month ago and visited the IO ( Ayutthaya ) a couple of weeks previously to get the requirements.

A similar event to yours other than a 12 months bank statement was requested from IO.

Initially Bangkok Bank said 1 week for the statement but when I went on a Tuesday it was ready by Friday am , so 3 days actually.

I recommend a quick visit to your IO before extending to get required docs as can vary.

The LMG policy was very quick and easy to obtain, when the IO requested proof I plonked the whole policy on the desk, still in its envelope, she gave it a cursory glance and nodded her head.

Should be in the database anyway so proof I felt was a little unnecessary.

6 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi,

You wrote that your IO required a three month bank statement.

But did they also want that the funds (800K) were seasoned for 3 months?  I always understood that the requirement for a first time application is TWO months of seasoned funds at the moment of application.

The lady at the front desk requested a 3 months statement...although the IO did in fact mention the proper 2 month seasoning in reading the money rules to me. Had to go to the bank anyway....so might as well...I got a 6 month statement whilst there....never know what they ask for next. I think she saw that I had transferred the money in July (3 months ago) and used that as her reflex reaction guide...no sense in arguing...need a statment anyway.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I renewed my extension of stay based on an OA ( retirement ) a month ago and visited the IO ( Ayutthaya ) a couple of weeks previously to get the requirements.

A similar event to yours other than a 12 months bank statement was requested from IO.

Initially Bangkok Bank said 1 week for the statement but when I went on a Tuesday it was ready by Friday am , so 3 days actually.

I recommend a quick visit to your IO before extending to get required docs as can vary.

The LMG policy was very quick and easy to obtain, when the IO requested proof I plonked the whole policy on the desk, still in its envelope, she gave it a cursory glance and nodded her head.

Should be in the database anyway so proof I felt was a little unnecessary.

My IO guy actually left the room and came back with a printout from the database as verification...and they took my bank book down to the ATM to update the balance to make sure It wasn't counterfeit I guess...ha ha ha

Just now, tonray said:

My IO guy actually left the room and came back with a printout from the database as verification...and they took my bank book down to the ATM to update the balance to make sure It wasn't counterfeit I guess...ha ha ha

Ha ha doesn’t surprise me.

Although i had provided a bank letter along with the 12 month statement they still photocopied every page of my bank book and attached the bank book, and passport, to the pile of papers and sent it on its journey round the IO.

I sat there pokerfaced as 5 different people had a good nosey through my bank book.

5 disappointed faces at not finding any infraction it appeared to me .

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 9:45 AM, jackson2513 said:

Hi. Tony,

On 10/21/2020 at 10:12 AM, Peter Denis said:

HI, I did PM you a Guideline document with Tips & Caveats on how to subscribe to the LMG Insurance Plan-1 policy.

> To check your PM-messages just click the letter icon next to your profile when logged-in to the Forum.

Thanks for sharing your Guideline document, it was very helpful.  Full disclosure , I've been a member for quite some time but never posted before, just followed relevant topics as best I could.  

I'm married to a Thai now for 10 years as of the 27th of this month.  I decided to retire after several years of consultancy in the UAE and work in the USA.  We arrive in BKK a couple of weeks ago and will end our quarantine on Sunday and finally get to go home.  We built a home in Ratchaburi 2015-16 and will now have time to enjoy it.  I obtained a one year Immigration visa Non-O multi entry from the Thai embassy in Abu Dhabi and received an entry stamp that's good until 7th Jan 21? Three months from my arrival.  Does this represent the 90-Day visa I read about in the many posts? The visa in my passport has dates covering a year from the issue day?

I know I have to report to the IO in Ratchaburi and declare my residence address and plan on doing that the day after we leave quarantine.  Could anyone here in the Forum share what I should expect are the next steps?  Will I have to apply for an extension of stay as discussed herein toward the end of my first 90-days even though my visa is dated a year long?  Do any of the members have any specific experience with the IO office in Ratchaburi they would be willing to share?

Lastly, I seek member advise and counsel on whether applying for an O-A or 5 year visa is a good idea?  I'll be 62 in Jan-21, I have a yellow book in my name as I own a condo in Bangkok; I have a truck also in my name and a bank account which I opened las Dec-19 with well more than the 800k mentioned herein as well as a joint account with my name as primary and my wife's name secondary.  Outside of the insurance policy, noting the aforementioned, will I also have to prove a monthly income (transfer from overseas ) into my bank account ?

Sorry for the long message and appreciate and clarity from any of the senior members.  

Cheers!

40 minutes ago, jackson2513 said:

Thanks for sharing your Guideline document, it was very helpful.  ...

I'm married to a Thai now for 10 years as of the 27th of this month.  I decided to retire after several years of consultancy in the UAE and work in the USA.  We arrive in BKK a couple of weeks ago and will end our quarantine on Sunday and finally get to go home.  We built a home in Ratchaburi 2015-16 and will now have time to enjoy it.  I obtained a one year Immigration visa Non-O multi entry from the Thai embassy in Abu Dhabi and received an entry stamp that's good until 7th Jan 21? Three months from my arrival.  Does this represent the 90-Day visa I read about in the many posts? The visa in my passport has dates covering a year from the issue day?

Hi,

From what you write you are presently here on a 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O marriage Visa.

That Visa is valid for a full year from date of issue, but it only provides you with a 90-day permission to stay on entry.

Normally those on that type of Visa do a quick same-day border-hop just before their 90-day permission to stay expires, and then are stamped in for 90-days again (or combine that border-hop with a holiday trip abroad).  Alternatively you can also apply in-country for a 60-day extension of stay at the end of the permission to stay of your 90-days. 

When timed right that - very popular - Visa can thus provide you with almost 17 months of stay in Thailand, with no need for parking/transferring money to a Thai bank-account or doing 90-day reports.

HOWEVER - with borders currently closed (or with quarantaine and other measures when exiting/entering) it will probably still not be convenient for you to exit Thailand at the end of your current permission to stay (7 January 2021).

So you have 2 options then:

1 - Applying for the 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife, which will provide you with a permission to stay till 7 March.  Note: You can only apply once per entry for such 60-day extension.  So it is only a short term solution when wanting to stay in Thailand.

2 - Applying for a 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa.  You can apply for reason of marriage or for reason of retirement (different requirements, but basically the application for reason of marriage is way cheaper re financial requirements to be met, but requires quite some administration surely the first time to provide evidence of you still being married to your thai wife).

Depending on your nationality you might be eligible for the embassy income-method when you can prove foreign income in excess of 40K or 65K monthly.  But that option is not available anymore for US, UK and Australian citizens, and in that case you need to make use of the fund-in-bank or monthly income transfer method to meet the financial requirements for your 1-year extension of stay application.  Be aware that you would need to prove seasoning of those funds two or twelve months before application date.

Note: The info which I did sent you re the LMG Insurance Plan-1 policy will not be applicable in your case, as such insurance is ONLY required when applying for the 1-year extension of stay based on  an original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement. 

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jackson2513 said:

Lastly, I seek member advise and counsel on whether applying for an O-A or 5 year visa is a good idea?

You can only apply for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country (or country of permanent residence).  But yes, it is a very worthwhile option to do so when visiting your home-country as it can provide you with almost 2 years of IO hassle-free stay in Thailand with no need to park/transfer money to a Thai bank-account.
The 5-10 year Non Imm O-X Visa is not recommended as it is a very expensive Visa for the little benefits it provides.