New questions about PR

I'm a Singaporean sort of thinking to apply for Thai Permanent Residence in 2 years time due to because my mum is from Thai,

so can I ask if is this an advantage to apply because of her nationality? 

Edited by macallan

Because your Mum is Thai then you are automatically seen as a Thai citizen, you just need the paperwork to prove it. You need to go to your local embassy to obtain a Thai birth certificate firstly. I have recently done this process, you can check my post history to see what's involved.

Good luck

• Like 2

sorry i didn't indicate that I'm actually a Singaporean and my mum Thai mother but i wish to apply for Thai PR

so still is it an advantage to apply because of her nationality? 

Edited by macallan
duplicated

10 minutes ago, pazienza said:

Because your Mum is Thai then you are automatically seen as a Thai citizen, you just need the paperwork to prove it. You need to go to your local embassy to obtain a Thai birth certificate firstly. I have recently done this process, you can check my post history to see what's involved.

Good luck

sorry i didn't indicate that I'm actually a Singaporean and my mum Thai mother but i wish to apply for Thai PR

9 minutes ago, macallan said:

6 minutes ago, saakura said:

Are you a biological child of your mum who has Thai nationality? I mean born from her womb? Then you are already a Thai national, just need to process the application.

I think Singapore does not allow dual citizenship, I presume that is the whole issue in this case.

• Like 1

I'm guessing what the OP means is that as a Singaporean he is only allowed to have 1 Citizenship (Singapore doesn't recognise multiple Citizenships) but as a child of a (any) Thai Parent he is allowed to have Thai CItizenship (Thailand will also let him have Singaporean Citizenship). 

OP, I don't believe you can get PR on the grounds of being a Thai "Child" but you can get Thai Citizenship & they will not ask you to revoke your Singaporean Citizenship.  It's really only a problem when you're doing it the other way round & getting Singaporean citizenship as you would then be asked to renounce your existing citizenship(s)

Get your Thai Birth certificate, and a Thai passport & enjoy both citizenships 

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singaporean_nationality_law#:~:text=The position of the Singapore,in the Constitution of Singapore.&text=However%2C such persons must renounce,reaching 22 years of age.

Dual citizenship[edit]

The position of the Singapore Government is that dual citizenship is not allowed.[9] The laws regarding Singapore citizenship are found in the Constitution of Singapore.

A dual citizen may have acquired citizenship by birth in a foreign country, by descent from a foreign citizen parent, or by naturalisation. Singapore citizens who voluntarily and intentionally acquire citizenship of a foreign country after the age of 18 may be deprived of their Singapore citizenship by the Government.[10] Foreigners who naturalise as Singaporean citizens are required to renounce all foreign citizenships.[11] Persons who are born outside of Singapore and have at least one parent who is a Singapore citizen may register with a Singapore consulate within a year to acquire Singapore citizenship by descent. However, such persons must renounce their foreign citizenship, if any, before reaching 22 years of age. The Constitution of Singapore is silent on a Singapore citizen who acquired citizenship by birth and is a foreign citizen by descent. So long as such a person refrains from exercising the rights of foreign citizenship, the Government has no grounds for depriving them of his Singapore citizenship and they may hold on to dual citizenship.[12]

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I'm guessing what the OP means is that as a Singaporean he is only allowed to have 1 Citizenship (Singapore doesn't recognise multiple Citizenships) but as a child of a (any) Thai Parent he is allowed to have Thai CItizenship (Thailand will also let him have Singaporean Citizenship). 

OP, I don't believe you can get PR on the grounds of being a Thai "Child" but you can get Thai Citizenship & they will not ask you to revoke your Singaporean Citizenship.  It's really only a problem when you're doing it the other way round & getting Singaporean citizenship as you would then be asked to renounce your existing citizenship(s)

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singaporean_nationality_law#:~:text=The position of the Singapore,in the Constitution of Singapore.&text=However%2C such persons must renounce,reaching 22 years of age.

Dual citizenship[edit]

The position of the Singapore Government is that dual citizenship is not allowed.[9] The laws regarding Singapore citizenship are found in the Constitution of Singapore.

A dual citizen may have acquired citizenship by birth in a foreign country, by descent from a foreign citizen parent, or by naturalisation. Singapore citizens who voluntarily and intentionally acquire citizenship of a foreign country after the age of 18 may be deprived of their Singapore citizenship by the Government.[10] Foreigners who naturalise as Singaporean citizens are required to renounce all foreign citizenships.[11] Persons who are born outside of Singapore and have at least one parent who is a Singapore citizen may register with a Singapore consulate within a year to acquire Singapore citizenship by descent. However, such persons must renounce their foreign citizenship, if any, before reaching 22 years of age. The Constitution of Singapore is silent on a Singapore citizen who acquired citizenship by birth and is a foreign citizen by descent. So long as such a person refrains from exercising the rights of foreign citizenship, the Government has no grounds for depriving them of his Singapore citizenship and they may hold on to dual citizenship.[12]

back and forth it seem so messy to me though. I just wish to apply Thai PR as what i posted early on.

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, macallan said:

back and forth it seem so messy to me though. I just wish to apply Thai PR as what i posted early on.

I'm not sure you're eligible as you are considered a Thai citizen by Thailand but if you were then it would mean "ignoring" your Thai parent so you would need to go down the normal route of working in Thailand for 3 years 

Not sure what the "Back & Forth" problem is as you're a Singaporean Citizen by birth & a Thai Citizen by decent so "the Government has no grounds for depriving them of his Singapore citizenship and they may hold on to dual citizenship"

There would be a problem if you had "Earned" either Citizenship... e.g. Moved to somewhere like the UK & "Earned" citizenship or were a UK Citizen & "Earned" Singaporean Citizenship (I use the UK as I looked into SG CItizenship from this lens) in which case you would need to give up one, but you're entitled to both by birth so there's no problem.   

If you're unsure, go to see an immigration lawyer in Singapore (I'm sure there will be one at Golden Mile who can help you from the Thai side of things). 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Dual citizenship[edit]

So reading this again on the bold sentence. how can I hold on dual citizenship by descent?

9 hours ago, macallan said:

So reading this again on the bold sentence. how can I hold on dual citizenship by descent?

Because your farther is Singaporean & your mother is Thai... As long as you "Do not exercise any Foreign Citizen Rights" in Singapore (The obvious one being trying to use your foreign citizenship status to avoid National Service) then you retain your Singaporean citizenship 

Best thing to do would be to speak to somebody at the Royal Thai Embassy (https://www.thaiembassy.sg/contact-us), explain your situation & ask them.  If you can, take along a copy of your birth certificate, your mum's Thai ID Card & her Blue Book in Thailand (Do you know if your birth has been registered in Thailand and whether she put you on her "Blue Book" there) 

If you have any interest in living in Thailand in the future then having Dual Nationality would bring immense benefits that a lot of guys (myself included) on here would invest some serious money/effort to obtain so well worth a conversation with the Embassy.

13 hours ago, Upnotover said:

I think Singapore does not allow dual citizenship, I presume that is the whole issue in this case.

Then OP could have said so. People are not mind readers. As far as I know,having a Thai mother is no advantage when applying for PR. 

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Then OP could have said so. People are not mind readers. As far as I know,having a Thai mother is no advantage when applying for PR. 

To the OP:

Do you work in Thailand with a Thai work permit WP? And if so have you held the WP for at least 3 consecutive years.

Also have you submitted a personal taxation return in Thailand for the 3 years and do you have proof that your Thai tax returns have been processed and payment has been finalized?

These are items in being eligible to apply for Thai PR.

6 minutes ago, brianp0803 said:

I would think it is more complicated than that, or there would be many more people applying for permanent residency.
What am I missing?

He was writing about the basic requirements for permanent residency. There is more to it than what he wrote.

This  file has the requirements for the categories of PR applications. Permanent Residency Requirements June 2019.pdf

• Like 1

20 hours ago, macallan said:

Get a Thai Passport just never show it to Singapore Immigration.  

You can use your Thai passport to enter and exit Thailand (and never need a visa) 

When you want to enter or exit Singapore use your Singapore Passport.   

What you cannot do is when in Singapore, claim that you are Thai and that the Singapore Govt can't force you to join the military (but I guess you already did your Singapore military training).  

• Like 1