Thai were proud and center of universe in 19th century

Elkski

all this stuff doesn't mean too much anymore.   

1.  money in the 21st century rules it all

2.  money, again

3.  money

4.  maybe power, but probably money

5.  i mean, there isn't another option... money

in other countries......people value education, health, etc...because they aren't too worried about money as much.  money would be #1, but then would go to #3 as they get older.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Elkski said:

there is  also a chapter on the massacre but not sure I can post it here. 

I sure always got the "not listen to farang treatment.  GF listens to stuff she reads on FB forums before  me"  hopefully that is changing wince a  few of my predictions have come true.

So a guy with an imaginary friend has an opinion, well impressed. (rofl)

3 hours ago, Elkski said:

"They are a proud, even arrogant people, having yet to come under the domain of a more advanced nation. They seem to regard our own purpose as merely to serve and sustain them in their lifelong pursuit of frivolity."

Some things dont change , Westerners coming to Thailand and thinking that they should be revered and are superior , expecting Thais to bow down In front of them , because they are much better then they are  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

You're all discussing a fictional book like it's some kind of historical document

From an interview with the author here: https://www.prestigeonline.com/th/pursuits/art-culture/exclusive-interview-pitchaya-sundbanthad/

In the book the character Phineas Stevens says that the Siamese “live as if they have been born sea nymphs that only recently joined the race of man” and they “have neither the capacity nor the desire for literacy”. Do you think Thailand’s literary scene is improving?

"Those words reflect the views of 19th century missionaries whose accounts I came across during my research. The truth is that there has long been a writing tradition in Thailand but much of it remains largely unread beyond the Southeast Asia region. I think that’s changing, but making Thai literature more widely read in the world will require stronger organizational support, much like what I’ve seen in Japan and Korea. I think it’s time."

1 minute ago, Genmai said:

I've yet to run into one of these arrogant all-knowing farangs that some posters here claim are running around the country telling "Thais to bow down in front of them". 

The more likely situation is that the following chain of events is constantly being played out:

1 - Westerners pay a local for a product/service

2 - Observe that it's all done half-assed

3 - Make suggestions based on their own observations/experience of the same thing being done properly in their own country

4 - Locals stubbornly refuse to adopt the suggestions because reasons xyz

5 - Nonsense ensues. The foreigner either gives up and does it themselves or everyone's panties get twisted

I long for the day when like you I no longer have to depend on other people to get important things done. Then I can go online and berate others for having a superiority complex.

Yes, its a more relaxed attitude , thats why we come to live here .

Like , Westerners coming to live in Thailand and trying to convince them how to live 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Some things dont change , Westerners coming to Thailand and thinking that they should be revered and are superior , expecting Thais to bow down In front of them , because they are much better then they are  

Because a  Thai education is so damned  good they are queueing up like Oxford Uni's to get in here

• Haha 2