Thai were proud and center of universe in 19th century

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

You're all discussing a fictional book like it's some kind of historical document

Just using some fitting passages written many years ago, whether fiction or reality some of the words ring true still today, wouldn't you agree.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thailand has been a feudalistic country for centuries, led by a handful of powerful families. And this "elite" of the country has been indoctrinating the people ever since with exactly this xenophobia

Here's the rest of Phineas's letter from the book: ------------------------------------------------ He hoped Andrew would soon receive the letter he had sent this afternoon, without the reve

Reading a book review  from NPR of a book  -Bangkok Wakes to Rain   found this missionary's words poignant still today   "One storyline follows Phineas Stevens, a 19th-century Amer

7 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Some things dont change , Westerners coming to Thailand and thinking that they should be revered and are superior , expecting Thais to bow down In front of them , because they are much better then they are  

Not quite true in all aspects.  A company hires said farang for his knowledge and expertise in today's world, only to still ridicule his/her ideas and to put them at the bottom of the management chain when they were hired as a director. Thai's don't really like change unfortunately and only want to keep doing whats easiest.  When you show and direct people how to make a change that will increase productivity and profits for the company the workers do not see it as being beneficial.  After 6 months I had the corporate directors from the US cash out my option on my 1 year contract and became a private company investigating the same company's security structure and corporate made the changes from the top.  

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

They still are, although that's promoted by the elite. IMO the realization is dawning on younger Thais that it is BS.

Once I took my GF to Australia, and she could see how big and different Australia is to Thailand ( Where are the police? Where are the villages in the outback? ) her mindset did change.

5 hours ago, quake said:

that's way past it's sell by date.

Maibpenrai is ok when you have nothing important to do. It's when you do have something that needs to be done when it becomes toxic. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, quake said:

Go one step more, bin all religions,  they will all go the same way as the dinosaurs at some point in time.  very soon i hope

I don't have a problem with Paganism. At least that worships what can be seen and felt.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Elkski said:

there is  also a chapter on the massacre but not sure I can post it here. 

I sure always got the "not listen to farang treatment.  GF listens to stuff she reads on FB forums before  me"  hopefully that is changing wince a  few of my predictions have come true.

It will never change

21 hours ago, Elkski said:

"They are a proud, even arrogant people, having yet to come under the domain of a more advanced nation."

Whilst we must not forget that this is fiction, perhaps we should assume that the author will have researched opinions, letters and reports from people in a similar position to his character before writing the book.

The quoted excerpt perhaps says at least as much about the character portrayed than it does about the Thai people. However let's look at some of the things he says about the Thais at that time, and the parallels with current Thai society which have been drawn here.

They thought that they were "the centre of the universe", well of course they did. There was no media, little if any education, and the vast majority would have had no knowledge of any life outside their immediate surroundings, or any spiritual or political thoughts beyond the society in which they lived. Exactly the same could have been said of a community of Arkansan farmers, Brazilian plantation workers, or English mill workers at that time. In all societies, apart from the few wealthy and educated who travelled (like the character portrayed), and small numbers who worked as sailors or perhaps (for the colonial powers) soldiers, the vast majority would have had no idea of, or probably interest in anything beyond their immediate community. Most were born, grew up, lived and died within a radius of say 50 miles , often less. Many probably never heard a foreign language spoken during their whole life. The Thai "Sakdina" system was the way in which their society naturally ordered and organised itself. Of course they thought they were the centre of the universe - they were the centre of their universe!

Now if we fast forward 150 years or so to the present day, what is the biggest change? The prevalence of media. In particular film and then television which have shown just about everyone in the last 100 years so much about the wider world. That has lately been expanded by the development of new medias, which are enjoying huge penetration, especially amongst younger people here in Thailand.

The "more advanced" nations matched that increase in knowledge from mass media with the development of more inclusive form of government, in which people had more say and influence in how they were governed, culminating in the various forms of democracy which govern most countries in the 21st Century.

In Thailand the development of government, and the say and influence of the people in how they are governed has been held back by those formerly at the top of the Sakdina pyramid. In fact they have sought to maintain the Sakdina principle, albeit now defined by wealth rather than caste. They had some success in the last decades of the last century, but it is now breaking down rapidly, largely under the influence of new medias, uncontrolled and uncontrollable by "Sakdina", and leading to ideas, demands and political movements which are snowballing especially amongst the young.

Those at the top of this crumbling system still profess Thailand as the centre of the universe, this is because their universe is defined by wealth, and they have managed to accumulate huge, almost unimaginable amounts of wealth; that leads to a particularly avaricious venal pride, in themselves and their society. The general population is also/still proud (of their country) but that pride, especially amongst the younger generation, is because of what they think and wish to do with their country and society. It is what we are seeing on the streets at present. It gives me hope for the future of the country!

Phew, after all that, I'm needing a beer!

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

Below the Thais at the bottom of Sakdina, in the doctrine of the elite, there comes firstly the Thai street dogs, then the "farangs", the Arabs, the Indians, Chinese, Cambodians, Burmese and Africans, in this order. The colour of the skin plays an important role also.

ROFLMAO.

Seriously, ROFLMAO...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Grumpy one said:

The good old missionaries could not have been a bigger curse on the world if they tried

What gave them the right to try and force their beliefs on anyone

The saying goes in Hawaii the missionaries went there to do good, and they did right well.

• Like 1