Thailand welcomes back tourists after April virus ban

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thirty-nine tourists from Shanghai

Thailand's saved by gum. All they have to do is get them to spend as much as the millions pre corona did.

One wonders what tourist attractions they will get to enjoy.

Watching the protestors get wet, perhaps, or take a stroll down Pattaya's closed Walking Street.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

2 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

1st, the retirees aren't doing multi million baht developments and 2nd, they're all sitting in countries with new waves and spikes in covid cases.

As for the prediction of 6.7 million tourists this year they would have to fully open by Nov 1st and instantly receive 111,666,666 tourists per day.

Given the current situation in BKK I can see that escalating 10 fold if the government announced they were throwing open the doors to the pandemic so the rich and elite could get richer. :wai:

Not another maths teacher.? 

19 minutes ago, rumak said:

All "tourists" will now be required to wear a special costume.... called a PeeSate Suit .

Comes in 6 different colors !!   Now added to the "list".   

Note:  just humor (as of this posting) 

ในภาพอาจจะมี 2 คน, ข้อความพูดว่า "New w Ne New ShieldPod $79.99 ShieldPod Mini $69.99 sale WalkingPod Pro from $109.99 $119.99 WalkingPod from $99.99"

LOL. There's always someone wanting to profit from disasters.

Re the lower left- I guess they found that there is a limit as to what people will do, even in the worst of situations.

I think after it's all over they could market sound proof child ones for children that shout a lot in public.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. There's always someone wanting to profit from disasters.

Re the lower left- I guess they found that there is a limit as to what people will do, even in the worst of situations.

I think after it's all over they could market sound proof child ones for children that shout a lot in public.

I can see some guys getting it for one niters ,  with an add-on shade that can be pulled down to cover the face

• Haha 1

First group of Chinese under STV scheme arrive

By THE NATION

800_37b9bf65f2227f6.jpg?v=1603244555

Thailand on Tuesday evening welcomed the first group of Chinese tourists, who arrived under the special tourist visa (STV) scheme at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

14197.jpg

The 41, who came from Shanghai, underwent strict checks by public health officials before being sent to state quarantine for 14 days.

14196.jpg

The second group, comprising more than 100 tourists from Shanghai and Guangzhou, are expected to arrive on October 26 and 28.

14194.jpg

Tourism Authority of Thailand governor Yuthasak Supasorn said officials were still considering where flights carrying future STV tourists from Europe would land, as it would depend on where the tourists have booked their 14-day mandatory quarantine.

14199.jpg

“I confirm that all foreigners who arrive will have to strictly comply with health measures. They will be allowed to travel around the country only if they are clear of infection once the quarantine period is over. However, each tourist will be required to have a tracker app,” Yuthasak said.

14195.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30396512

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-21

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

OMG 39 dirty farangs arrive oops sorry there Chinese they cannot be dirty farangs I doubt that number would of even covered the wages of the flight crew let alone the cost of fuel . Question is how many tested positive no doubt that will be kept very quiet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These are not tourists.  The headline should read "Thailand welcomes back a few long-stay visitors who have agreed to a 14 day quarantine and have set up accommodation to stay in Thailand after they get out of quarantine."   That's not a tourist.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

39 ...  ?   it was suppose to be 41 coming , so two of them didn't have their docs ready or already had COVID.   

No. Originally we were told it was 120 coming in each 'batch'. Reality strikes, with the real numbers 0 from the first (cancelled) flight and now 39 from the second. That makes them 101 down so far on the original TAT claim.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

However, the unrest has not impacted interest in the country, Tourism Authority of Thailand governor Yuthasak Supasorn told Reuters.

39 from Shanghai, doesn't seem like much interest to start with.

"No. Originally we were told it was 120 coming in each 'batch'. Reality strikes, with the real numbers 0 from the first (cancelled) flight and now 39 from the second. That makes them 101 down so far on the original TAT claim."

No, you are misinformed. The 120 was a total fake. That was, admitted by the Thai government after the fact, the number of INQUIRIES on the program. No one had paid anything for the scheme. 

Indeed, the number officially released was 41. Now we have lost 2 people. Where are there? Are they still in the wheel well of the "chartered flight"? 

More interestingly, who are these people? Who can take 14 days off work plus whatever "holiday" follows? 

I'm hearing (as rumor) that Thailand has subsidized this trip in some way. I don't know if this is true or false, but it would certainly not surprise me (or anyone, I think). 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, newnative said:

These are not tourists.  The headline should read "Thailand welcomes back a few long-stay visitors who have agreed to a 14 day quarantine and have set up accommodation to stay in Thailand after they get out of quarantine."   That's not a tourist.

Quite true. However, TVF Immigration holds that Thai Immigration defines all foreigners as tourists, no matter the visa. We're constantly warned that your visa could be instantly cancelled, most probably right after you've bought a 10 million baht property, hee.

Unless you're a Thai citizen, there's only short-term tourist and longer term tourist. So what we have here among our posters is a reversal of our official TVF narrative for bashing purposes. It's fun, innit?

• Like 2

I can quite find the right words. Is it silliness? Is it living proof that Thailand is a vassal state to China? Is it confirmation that decision makers should not come from the ranks of Generals? I am at a loss. While Vietnam gobbles up businesses leaving China by being business friendly and having sane visa laws, Thailand focuses on rebuilding a failed business model of prosperity through mass tourism. The wonderful people of Thailand deserve more forward thinking and enlightened leadership.

• Like 1