VIDEO: First foreign tourists arrive in Thailand after more than 6 months

webfact

7 hours ago, 2long said:

Not wanting to appear racist, but surely a Thai immigration official wearing a mask and shield would have trouble properly identifying a Chinese person also wearing a mask and shield from his/her passport photo.

Please note that I am not saying 'they all look the same,' but purely highlighting the risk/opportunity to travel on someone else's passport.

Ah...... a way in for "The Stranded"......

7 hours ago, 2long said:

Not wanting to appear racist, but surely a Thai immigration official wearing a mask and shield would have trouble properly identifying a Chinese person also wearing a mask and shield from his/her passport photo.

Please note that I am not saying 'they all look the same,' but purely highlighting the risk/opportunity to travel on someone else's passport.

Or are they Chinese tourists? Perhaps repatriated Thais sworn to secrecy.... how can we tell through all these masks, shields and very professional body PPE.

• Like 1

I've seen some older Caucasian people in some of these pics.  Could this have been a backdoor way to get back into Thailand when you have a retirement visa (currently not allowed) so that you show up on a tourist visa but still have your valid retirement visa/extension so when your "vacation" is over you still get to stay?

7 hours ago, mickymouse1 said:

I wonder how much these poor guys were paid for this circus like poor acts.

No sane person will go through this unless they were either forced to or got paid to do it.

You can bet there will be a big financial interest somewhere.

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Its great to see them all being protected from the Rain, and the great gobs of Phlegm that will now be flying everywhere by those Rain Smocks.

Are the "all you can eat" buffets staying open?

Reports on the number varied from 39 to 41 but they were all Chinese. 

I'd keep all diseases away from my loved ones. Did they forget that the virus originated in China?

What a crazy world we live in. I'm so happy that I'm already a bit older. Being a teen now would be a horror for me.

The tourists who brought the big cash to Thailand will not come back.

Of course, will a few people come, but that's not even worth mentioning. 

15 hours ago, Henryford said:

Why would any tourist want to put themselves through this.

Chinese scramble for Thailand's new special tourist visa

One visa agent told Nikkei Asia that entering Thailand on a special tourist visa will cost at least 150,000 baht. Before the pandemic, individual tourists visiting Thailand could spend as little as 10,000 baht on a round-trip flight, while sharing a four-night hotel with their partner for 5,000 baht each.

But many Chinese are still applying for the special visas, as they have existing Thai connections -- some want to supervise their business activities here, some have children studying in international schools, while others want to manage their property portfolios -- and would like to return soon to deal with such matters, according to three persons familiar with the situation.

An e-commerce businessman from eastern Zhejiang province, who gave his name Wu, is an early applicant for the special visa and expected to come to Thailand by the end of October.

"Thailand is my business focus for the second half of the year," he said. "I wanted to go back as soon as possible or else I am losing half a million yuan in revenue this year."

1 hour ago, Selatan said:
17 hours ago, Henryford said:

Why would any tourist want to put themselves through this.

Chinese scramble for Thailand's new special tourist visa

One visa agent told Nikkei Asia that entering Thailand on a special tourist visa will cost at least 150,000 baht. Before the pandemic, individual tourists visiting Thailand could spend as little as 10,000 baht on a round-trip flight, while sharing a four-night hotel with their partner for 5,000 baht each.

But many Chinese are still applying for the special visas, as they have existing Thai connections -- some want to supervise their business activities here, some have children studying in international schools, while others want to manage their property portfolios -- and would like to return soon to deal with such matters, according to three persons familiar with the situation.

Expand  Expand  

An e-commerce businessman from eastern Zhejiang province, who gave his name Wu, is an early applicant for the special visa and expected to come to Thailand by the end of October.

"Thailand is my business focus for the second half of the year," he said. "I wanted to go back as soon as possible or else I am losing half a million yuan in revenue this year."

Looks like all us TV cynics were right .. not tourists but Chinese 'investors' come back to take care of their investments ..

Didn't see any children coming on this holiday.  This is either a TAT publicity stunt to justify their questionable existence or a group of well-heeled business men who are going to scoop up cut-price Thai businesses/properties like prawns at a buffet.

10 hours ago, Mickeem said:

Looks like all us TV cynics were right .. not tourists but Chinese 'investors' come back to take care of their investments ..

Even if Thailand doesn't impose a 14-day quarantine, it still doesn't make sense for a Malaysian like me to go on a tour or holiday during this time because of the 14-day quarantine upon returning home. 

Before the pandemic, we Malaysians often fly to Bangkok, Phuket or Chiang Mai, or drive to Hat Yai for a short weekend getaway. Malaysian men who have married Thai women are more likely to take them back to live in Malaysia. It makes more sense to live in Malaysia because foreign spouses can get long term social visit passes (up to 5 years) and are allowed to work legally. And after 5 years, foreign spouses are eligible to apply for PR status.

• 2 weeks later...