Koh Chang ?

Joinaman

hi there

looking at going to Koh Chang in Mid November with my lady  and have seen the recommendations on hotels here

Which is the better ones for being close to a few bars, but nice beach side locations 

Was thinking of maybe a few days in posh resort and then moving the other side to a cheaper place, but would like to be able to walk to a nice bar or two on an evening .

Was also thinking of taking the car on the ferry so i can tour round the island, - good or bad idea ?

Thanks

•  

Hopefully, the rain should have stopped next month. I would take the car, as the roads are not busy now (other than holidays and long-weekends when Bangkok Thais descend here).

Kacha Resort (White Sands beach) is  nice place, especially if you get a beach chalet / bungalow. It is within easy walking distance of good restaurants and bars. For other island locations, I'll let other posters chip in..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It poured down when I was there in August and I saw from a few Youtube videos (Rides4kicks) that it was still raining a lot there last week but hopefully will have cleared up by mid-November. 

We stayed at White Sand Beach & it was dead, I'd say 60% of places were shut (little Pattaya looked completely closed) but the Sabay bar (Fire show, Philippine band) was open as was a nice restaurant next door... Our hotel was pretty poor (There was such a bad damp smell it the room I had to buy a couple of air fresheners, simply because occupancy has been so low) but the 15 Palms (Paddy's is there now so good food) & KC Grande Resort looked good.

We had a trip out which took us past Lonely Beach & that place looked like it had more nightlife going on, I know there's a nice Centera hotel up that way but have never stayed there. 

I personally wouldn't take a car there but plenty of guys do and no problems getting it over on the ferry, just make sure it has some ooommph as the hills can be pretty steep & have some pretty sharp bends

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1

The majority of hotels are on the busier west side of the island ie white sands beach and lonely beach etc, the other side is more remote, you can not drive all around the island, the roads are very hilly, and narrow as you drive south along the west side, but it should be ok now as its going to be really quiet, myself and the wife are thinking of going for a few days around the same time as you, I have been looking for a good deal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stayed at Sangtawan Resort White Sand Beach, top marks as a place right on beach, lots of beach activity last year, fire shows and the like, this year? maybe a 1 km easy walk to main bar area if that is the main bar area. Ferry no problem

• Like 1

Defiantly bring your car, Don't mean to tell you how to drive but forewarned is better. if it is auto no probs on the steep roads, very steep decline make sure your O/D is off. If you drive a manual select a low gear *before* the big inclines a lot of drivers come here and stall on the 8 degree hill. White sand would be my choice, Oodies is  open again with a good live band. Try to avoid arriving on Fri ferry's full of Thai' tourist + cars

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just came back (Oct 25) stayed at The Splash Resort as i was with my 7 year old. Ok resort. Great for my 7 year old. She played on the sliders the whole week everyday.

We normally stay at the Koh Chang Paradise Resort and love it. Great beach, ok pool, decent prices for the mini bars and restaurant. 

If in your budget the deluxe rooms with private pool and separate hot tub are nice. 

Not a bar or party person so have no idea what there is for that on the island.

Sunday thru Thursday was pretty quiet around the island. Not much traffic. We have a Nissan Almera (auto) and absolutely no issue with the roads. Last year we took our Honda Jazz and it whipped around the hills no problem as well.

One issue was the return ferry docked on the right hand side loading area and was riding high. When we, and many others off loaded, we scrapped bottom. Was not impressed. A few of us confronted the admin office. They didnt care.

Had 3 days of rain and then sunny, sunny, sunny!

First time ever we were the only car in the Big C parking lot. One other person in the store, 3pm. Think many stores are really quiet. Our favourite noodle shop by the V-mart near Coconuts Beach Resort stated she was lucky she had a good lease on her shop otherwise she would be in trouble. Have known her for quite a few years. Difficult to see how things have changed these past 12 months.

Went around the other side of the island and passed half a dozen cars. Very quiet. 

Now is a good time to spend a bit more as the room prices are great. We paid less than 1400baht for a deluxe room. Normally double that. 

As stated many places we drove by are closed now. Our hotel was packed. Mostly with Thai families. There were a few mixed couples like us but not many singles or couples. Restaurant was expensive still. Probably cause of how busy they were. 

Things really have changed since our last trip. Try and call a few places to see how busy they are. Next month there is a school break so things should be a little busier.

Good luck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, phutoie2 said:

Went to KC in 2005, was charged 200 Baht to climb some waterfall. 

Never went back, **** em. 

Sad to ignore one of the most beautiful islands here just because of that.  If so, you could pretty much eliminate all of Thailand.