Current in-country OA visa extension insurance and paperwork requirements

It looks like I’m going to have to extend my OA visa in-country (at Chiang Mai IO), rather than hop in and out of the country as I’d hoped to do. I know I have to have 800,000THB in my Thai bank account for two months before I apply. My questions now are:

1. What are the current insurance requirements please?

2. Is the paperwork still:

TM7

Passport, with signed copies of all pages

Passport photos

Copy of bank book

Letter from bank confirming status

3. Do I need a residency certificate? 

Thanks in advance

1. You have to get the insurance from one of the companies listed here. https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

The insurance must start on the day you apply for the extension at many offices. 

2. Most offices only want a copy of your passport photo page, visa, most recent entry stamp. Also a copy of both sides of your TM6 departure card.

The photos must be 4 X 6 cm or 2 X 2 inch passport photos.

Letter from the bank must be dated no older than the day before you apply at many offices. Bank book updated on the day you apply and copies of it.

3. No needed but many offices will want proof of residence such a rental agreement and signed copies of the owner house book and ID card.

Best to visit your IO beforehand to get the full requirements, these differ from IO to IO ( for example, mine asked for a 12 month bank statement also ).

Regarding insurance: LMG is the cheapest if you are looking for insurance just to enable your extension and not an actual worthwhile insurance.

@Peter Denis , can provide you with a guide for this.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Best to visit your IO beforehand to get the full requirements, these differ from IO to IO ( for example, mine asked for a 12 month bank statement also ).

As Andy already indicated > the specific requirements for a 1-year extension of stay application will vary per IO, so it is recommended to either

- visit your IO before doing the actual application to get an up-to-date and complete overview of what they actually require; OR

- check the Forum (or open a thread) for info from those that recently applied at same Chiang-Mai IO for similar 1-year extension based on a Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement.

>> I did PM you a Guideline document with Tips & Caveats on how to apply for the LMG Insurance Plan-1 policy (mandatory for Non Imm O-A retirement extensions).

And also provided some info re TM-30 which will often be required when applying for the 1-year extension of stay.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Letter from the bank must be dated no older than the day before you apply at many offices. Bank book updated on the day you apply and copies of it.

I have to do mine next week at Chaengwattana - is the bank letter dated one day before accepted there? It would be convenient if I could get it a day before at my local branch.

I also understand a bank transaction and bankbook update has to be made on the day of attending immigration - is there a problem that the amount in the book is different to the letter (due to the transaction)? Bank is Krungsri. 

5 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I also understand a bank transaction and bankbook update has to be made on the day of attending immigration - is there a problem that the amount in the book is different to the letter (due to the transaction)? Bank is Krungsri.

Since you are proving a minimum balance at the time of application it should not. If right on the wire... put 100 baht into the account. Personally I do it all the same day to avoid such pedantic possibilities.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To confirm the bank balance for the previous 12 months, PathumThani office now requires

• the bank letter
  • copies of the updated bank passbook
  • a one-year bank statement

They also require you to return with an updated passbook 90 days after the visa extension approval to confirm the balance after the extension.

PathumThani no longer requires a TM30 at the time of the visa extension.  However, they require a TM28 to be submitted along with all the property owner's documents and a 60-baht fee to process the TM28.  The TM28 is a change of address form which now must be submitted even if your address has remained the same for over a decade, and even if you have consistently filed 90-day address reports reporting the same address.  Upon completion of the TM28 procedure, a receipt is inserted in your passport.  Without this receipt, your TM7 Visa Extension application will not even be considered.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, pablo el sueco said:

PathumThani no longer requires a TM30 at the time of the visa extension.  However, they require a TM28 to be submitted along with all the property owner's documents and a 60-baht fee to process the TM28.  The TM28 is a change of address form which now must be submitted even if your address has remained the same for over a decade, and even if you have consistently filed 90-day address reports reporting the same address.  Upon completion of the TM28 procedure, a receipt is inserted in your passport.  Without this receipt, your TM7 Visa Extension application will not even be considered.

Wow, so they basically re-introduced the TM-28 at Pathum Thani IO while as good as all other Imm offices scrapped the TM-28 and replaced it with a one-time-only (as long as staying on the same Visa on which you entered) TM-30.

And while you can do the TM-30 on-line (uploading the property owner's  documents), that is of course not possible with TM-28.  Obviously the low fee (60 THB) is not an issue, but the hassle of having to do this TM-28 with required documents is, so applicants for the 1-year extension of stay at Phatum Thani IO that do not know about this, will be rejected and have to come back later with the property owner documents to do that TM-28 first.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

so applicants for the 1-year extension of stay at Phatum Thani IO that do not know about this, will be rejected and have to come back later

That does seem to be their approach.

I went to the PathumThani office several days before I submitted my application for extension of stay.  I showed the supervisor my passport and passbook.  I inquired whether there were any new requirements.  The officer inspected my passport and bank passbook and said the requirements were the same except that I needed to have the proper health insurance this year.  She gave me a packet of blank forms to take home; they were the standard forms from several prior years, except there was no TM30 form.  She showed me a bunch of forms that a previous applicant had just submitted; everything looked familiar.  She reminded me that I should be sure to bring a bank letter and updated passbook as I've done in the past.  Since I regularly read postings on ThaiVisa, I was aware that some IO's require a bank statement as well, so I asked whether a bank statement was necessary.  She asked my translating friend what is a bank statement, and he told her in Thai.  She said Oh Yes!  You will need a bank statement, too.  I was flabbergasted that I had to pry this info out of her; she hadn't mentioned it until I specifically asked about it.  She also made no mention of the TM30.  So I asked whether the TM30 was no longer required.  Again, it was a good thing I asked.  She said she didn't know, I had to inquire about the TM30 requirements in a different room.  I learned from the officer in the other room that the TM30 was scrapped, and I had to bring a TM28 with all the supporting property owner's documents.  She handed me a blank TM28 Change of Address form, and I mentioned that my address hadn't changed. She said it doesn't matter, still needed.

So if I hadn't pressured the officer to give me COMPLETE information, I would have left the office unware of the need for a bank statement and the TM28.  Let other people be wary of this when they ask their IO for current requirements.  One may have to really press them for complete details.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, pablo el sueco said:

So if I hadn't pressured the officer to give me COMPLETE information, I would have left the office unware of the need for a bank statement and the TM28.  Let other people be wary of this when they ask their IO for current requirements.  One may have to really press them for complete details.

> As you mentioned that the officer told that you need to meet the health-insurance requirement, I understand that you will be applying for a 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement.

In case you do not have such insurance yet, I did PM you some info on how to apply for the cheapest possible IO-approved health-insurance.

Also provided you with some info on TM-30, as Phatum Thani might have scrapped the requirement for foreigners to provide evidence that a TM-30 has been filed of the place where they are staying, it is absolutely sure that such a TM-30 STILL has to be done to be in compliance with thai law.

> In order to access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

Edited by Peter Denis

Thanks for the info you PM'ed.  I purchased health insurance from LMG costing 11400 Bt.  Because I had to sign the application for insurance, I could not justify lying about pre-existing conditions.  So my policy has a few coverage limitations (though no reduction in policy price).  PathumThani Immigration accepted my insurance and issued my extension of stay.

I have a history of filing paper TM30's at PathumThani Immigration; the last one was filed October 2019.  And now that they no longer require me to file a TM30 for extension of stay, I must assume I've complied with my IO"s TM30 requirements without the need to register on the TM30 website. 

8 minutes ago, pablo el sueco said:

I have a history of filing paper TM30's at PathumThani Immigration; the last one was filed October 2019.  And now that they no longer require me to file a TM30 for extension of stay, I must assume I've complied with my IO"s TM30 requirements without the need to register on the TM30 website. 

Even though Pathum Thani IO does not require YOU anymore to provide evidence that a TM-30 has been filed from the place where you are staying when applying at the IO for a service that needs your address, it is STILL required by Thai law that the local Imm Office is notified within 24 hours of a foreigner staying at a place in their province.

So you - as a foreigner - might not be harassed anymore by IO to show that it has been done, but the 'owner' of the place where you are staying (the Hotel manager, your landlord, your wife or yourself) is still required to do it, and can be fined when not complying.

E.g. when you are staying in the house/condo/appartment owned by your wife or yourself, you need to file a TM-30 from that place notifying that you are staying there.  Since June 30, this only needs to be done only ONCE (if you stay on the same Visa on which you entered Thailand).

Note: And obviously you also need to notify IO when you have foreign guests staying at your place, hence it is still useful to register on the IO TM-30 website when you or your wife are owning the place where you are staying.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Even though Pathum Thani IO does not require YOU anymore to provide evidence that a TM-30 has been filed from the place where you are staying when applying at the IO for a service that needs your address, it is STILL required by Thai law that the local Imm Office is notified within 24 hours of a foreigner staying at a place in their province

All of that has been mostly eliminated. That is why they brought the TM27 back to life to report a change of address only.

The TM28 has the reporting if you stayed in another province for more than 24 hours and that was eliminated back in February.

On 10/22/2020 at 12:44 PM, ubonjoe said:

All of that has been mostly eliminated. That is why they brought the TM27 back to life to report a change of address only.

The TM28 has the reporting if you stayed in another province for more than 24 hours and that was eliminated back in February.

Am I correct that the the TM27 does not apply to those of us on retirement extensions?

8 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Am I correct that the the TM27 does not apply to those of us on retirement extensions?

It applies to everybody if they change their registered address that immigration has. That is the only time it is needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

I take it we have to go in person, no online filing method?

It can only be done in person.

Many offices only want a TM30 report when you change your address and that is the only time they need to be done now.

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone from Chiang Mai is looking for the same information, I visited the airport IO today and spoke to a volunteer about requirements for extending my OA visa. He directed me to the attached notices, which detail what paperwork is required over and above the approved insurance. He told me that the bank statement and the bank letter can both be up to 7 days old at the date of application. He also gave me a copy of the TM7 form. The volunteers at the office are very helpful and well worth consulting. 

IMG_6152-1.jpg

IMG_6153-1.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2020 at 7:50 AM, ubonjoe said:

It can only be done in person.

Many offices only want a TM30 report when you change your address and that is the only time they need to be done now.

Hi UJ, when relocating and your IO uses TM-30 instead of TM-27 for your relocation notice, do you then have to do that TM-30 notification in person at the IO, or can it be done using the IO-TM30 website?

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi UJ, when relocating and your IO uses TM-30 instead of TM-27 for your relocation notice, do you then have to do that TM-30 notification in person at the IO, or can it be done using the IO-TM30 website?

It would need to be done in person at most offices. Some might also want a TM27 or TM28 form.

• Thanks 1