Trump campaign's coffers shrink in September; Biden has cash advantage

webfact

Trump campaign's coffers shrink in September; Biden has cash advantage

By Jason Lange and Grant Smith

2020-10-21T030427Z_1_LYNXMPEG9K05S_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION-TRUMP.JPG

A supporter of U.S. President Donald Trump holds a flag as he arrives to wait in line to attend his campaign event at Erie International Airport in Erie, Pennsylvania, U.S. October 20, 2020. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

WASHINGTON/NEW YORK (Reuters) - President Donald Trump's re-election coffers shrank in September as he fell behind Democratic challenger Joe Biden in the campaign's money race, putting him at a disadvantage in the final weeks before the Nov. 3 election.

In a financial disclosure filed on Tuesday night with the Federal Election Commission, the Trump campaign said it had about $63 million in the bank at the end of September after spending about $139 million that month.

A month earlier, the Trump campaign reported having $121 million in cash.

Biden's campaign has yet to report its cash holdings at the close of September. But the former vice president's campaign said this month that together with the Democratic Party, it had $432 million in the bank.

Trump and his Republican Party had just $251 million in the bank, his campaign manager said this month.

Biden has held a significant lead over Trump in national polls for months, although Reuters/Ipsos polling shows a somewhat closer race in the battleground states likely to decide the winner.

Trump has fallen far behind the Democrat in recent months at fundraising and spending. Trump spent less than $56 million on television and radio advertising in September, compared with nearly $148 million by Biden, according to Advertising Analytics LLC, a market research company.

Including online ads, the president's campaign spent at least $91 million on advertising in September, according to the disclosures filed on Tuesday.

(Reporting by Jason Lange and Grant Smith; Editing by Sandra Maler, Peter Cooney and Gerry Doyle)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-10-21

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Time for Trump to make good on his promise to put his own money into his campaign.

He dont have any, don't even have money to pay tax! Republican Party have less money coz all know they policy is one for me , other to friend and what is left can give where it belongs!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Maybe Russia will lend him some more money,or the oligarchs are

going to lose a good friend ????

regards Worgeordie

If the Russians think of funding Trump, will they be able to match the millions, or maybe billions, China has to fund the Bidens?

Not a good time to be an American.

3 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Ads are for those who haven't made their mind up yet and they will make all the difference when it is a close call.  In the meantime Trump doing his bit on the campaign trail, cutting his rally short in Eerie Pennsylvania saying "Nobody wants me" and storming out of an interview with CBS (60 minutes). 

Maybe he thinks his supporters admire him for his infantile tantrums?

Donald didn't want to go to Erie. He didn't even want to be there. Melania didn't even bother to show up claiming some lingering COVID-19 symptom excuse. Yeah, what a way to treat a valuable swing state. It is like Donald isn't even trying anymore.

Trump told a rally crowd in swing-state Pennsylvania that he was only there because of how badly his campaign is going

"Before the plague came in, I had it made. I wasn't coming to Erie. I mean, I have to be honest, there was no way I was coming," Trump said Tuesday night.

• Like 2