decathlon hiking shoes, are they good enough ? anything better with expensive brands ?

On 11/4/2020 at 8:01 PM, Mutt Daeng said:

Yes, I saw those boots you bought, but it was the fact they were "snow boots" that put me off. There's not much snow in Buriram. As for the colour & style, i've never been accused of having any taste, so it's all rock & roll to me man. Not many people around at 5.30 am to take the p**s out of a ting-tong falang with 2 big dogs. Hahaha

My dogs: Chang & Leo

1582462905354.jpg

1582462899368.jpg

I guess it's hard to understand for most, but usually snow boots means that they are better in wet conditions.

I have some "snow" hiking shoes and often walk in flood and they dry so quickly, so I guess these ones are similar.

If people would try to think a little they would understand so many things more...

Edited by samtab
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, samtab said:

I guess it's hard to understand for most, but usually snow boots means that they are better in wet conditions.

I have some "snow" hiking shoes and often walk in flood and they dry so quickly, so I guess these ones are similar.

If people would try to think a little they would understand so many things more...

My concern wouldn't be what I was walking in, it would be the insulation. To me, 'snow boots' probably means extra insulation to repel the cold and that insulation in a tropical climate would make my feet hot and sweaty. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 10/21/2020 at 12:15 PM, samtab said:

but is there any expert here who could tell me why it's better buying the expensive brands ?

Depends on your hiking requirements and your feet. For me cheaper brands don't suit me, my feet become very sore quickly. I have never been disappointed (besides their high price mark ups in Asia) with the more expensive brands like North Face which last me for years and offer great comfort and insulation/breathing. Need to treat them well, stored appropriately for the tropics or they fall to bits faster.

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, dddave said:

Issan, Isarn, Esarn , Isan, Esan...they are all incorrect because there is no universally recognized "correct" transliteration convention for Thai into the Western alphabet. There are consonants that are outside the bounds of accurate representation.  

You want to spell it ISAAN, go right ahead but don't think you are any more correct than another person spelling it ESARN.

Fair enough mate.

• Haha 2
On 10/21/2020 at 12:15 PM, samtab said:

hello,

first time buying ugly hiking shoes, so I am looking at decathlon products which are usually good.

but is there any expert here who could tell me why it's better buying the expensive brands ?

or decathlon shoes are good enough ?

https://www.decathlon.co.th/en/13189-hiking-trekking-shoes?refinementList[nature_id_en][0]=Shoes&sortBy=decathlon_thailand_category_price_asc

thank you.

Depends on  your characterisation of what hiking is and your expectations of the footwear. Haven't come across anything in Thailand  that a pair of approach shoes can't handle, unless you're planning to go higher than HVS  classification.

Approach shoes  may look like clumsy sneakers, but they support your feet and have a robust sole. So, check  how the sole twists and how easily your feet slip inside the shoe.

If you're main concern is about how they look. You're unlikely to need an expensive shoe.

• Haha 1