decathlon hiking shoes, are they good enough ? anything better with expensive brands ?

samtab

hello,

first time buying ugly hiking shoes, so I am looking at decathlon products which are usually good.

but is there any expert here who could tell me why it's better buying the expensive brands ?

or decathlon shoes are good enough ?

*Commercial link removed*

thank you.

Edited by Scott
Commercial link removed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

I was on a Hash run the other day, at least 10 people were wearing the same Decathlon shoes (Kalenji Trail XT7). I have had my current pair for about 18 months and have another pair in the cupboard for when they blow out.

Unlike a lot of other shoes the sole is direct molded and doesn't split after getting wet. Very comfortable, decent price and a very good grip over most surfaces.  There's a handy little pocket on the tongue to tuck your laces into as well. I've seen others come back from a run in Salomons with the sole hanging off- an expensive alternative. 

At B 1800 a pair they are good value, long lasting and do exactly what I need. Very popular with trail runners I know in Phuket and Pattaya. Obviously not all people's feet are compatible with every shoe but if this shoe fits- wear it. Perfect for most of the terrain you will encounter here and when they do blow out you're only looking at B1800 to replace them as opposed to the more expensive shoes. 

As for the looks- it just looks like a running shoe as opposed to a boot. Personally I would not worry about getting wet feet in Thailand and waterproof boots aren't once water comes in over the top. 

https://www.decathlon.co.th/en/p/8513387_xt7-trail-running-shoes-for-men-blue-and-bronze.html

Shoe looks good - but only sized up to 11.5 U.S......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This ’Thai glue eating bacteria’ (or rather ’Glue eating Thai Bacteria’)... is interesting.... 

So many ‘rubber based’ products here do not last in storage - I’ve always wondered what causes the degradation and always assumed it was related to the heat and humidity, oxygen and pollutants.... 

my mate works for one of the big paint companies and told me that paint has to be adapted for different areas of the world due to varying climatic conditions because of how paint reacts chemically. as glue and rubber are chemically based products you'd think the same would apply. so a product  not designed for certain climatic conditions could well fail. failed my chemistry exam at school so dont take this as gospel but it makes sense...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So many ‘rubber based’ products here do not last in storage - I’ve always wondered what causes the degradation and always assumed it was related to the heat and humidity, oxygen and pollutants.... 

Heat, humidity &/ oxidation - something similar happens in middle eastern climates with hot humid summers even without much pollution. The rubber backing on some doormats deteriorates into black dust over a few years. 

• Like 1

I had to replace the rubber weather stripping in the windows of a house I had in Udon Thani only after a few years.  Replaced it with the fuzzy material that you glue on by removing the strip covering the sticky side.  Lasted twice as long and then disintegrated.  It is called deferred maintenance unfortunately. 

Hell now I have to get back on topic.  Shoes left inside of the house seem to last longer than those left outside in a cabinet.  Must have to do with the temperature and humidity.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 8:32 PM, Mutt Daeng said:

BTW @abonsa It"s ISAAN not ESARN.

Issan, Isarn, Esarn , Isan, Esan...they are all incorrect because there is no universally recognized "correct" transliteration convention for Thai into the Western alphabet. There are consonants that are outside the bounds of accurate representation.  

You want to spell it ISAAN, go right ahead but don't think you are any more correct than another person spelling it ESARN.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/4/2020 at 8:01 PM, Mutt Daeng said:

Yes, I saw those boots you bought, but it was the fact they were "snow boots" that put me off. There's not much snow in Buriram. As for the colour & style, i've never been accused of having any taste, so it's all rock & roll to me man. Not many people around at 5.30 am to take the p**s out of a ting-tong falang with 2 big dogs. Hahaha

My dogs: Chang & Leo

1582462905354.jpg

1582462899368.jpg

I guess it's hard to understand for most, but usually snow boots means that they are better in wet conditions.

I have some "snow" hiking shoes and often walk in flood and they dry so quickly, so I guess these ones are similar.

If people would try to think a little they would understand so many things more...

Edited by samtab
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, samtab said:

I guess it's hard to understand for most, but usually snow boots means that they are better in wet conditions.

I have some "snow" hiking shoes and often walk in flood and they dry so quickly, so I guess these ones are similar.

If people would try to think a little they would understand so many things more...

My concern wouldn't be what I was walking in, it would be the insulation. To me, 'snow boots' probably means extra insulation to repel the cold and that insulation in a tropical climate would make my feet hot and sweaty. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/21/2020 at 12:15 PM, samtab said:

but is there any expert here who could tell me why it's better buying the expensive brands ?

Depends on your hiking requirements and your feet. For me cheaper brands don't suit me, my feet become very sore quickly. I have never been disappointed (besides their high price mark ups in Asia) with the more expensive brands like North Face which last me for years and offer great comfort and insulation/breathing. Need to treat them well, stored appropriately for the tropics or they fall to bits faster.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, dddave said:

Issan, Isarn, Esarn , Isan, Esan...they are all incorrect because there is no universally recognized "correct" transliteration convention for Thai into the Western alphabet. There are consonants that are outside the bounds of accurate representation.  

You want to spell it ISAAN, go right ahead but don't think you are any more correct than another person spelling it ESARN.

Fair enough mate.

• Haha 2

On 10/21/2020 at 12:15 PM, samtab said:

hello,

first time buying ugly hiking shoes, so I am looking at decathlon products which are usually good.

or decathlon shoes are good enough ?

https://www.decathlon.co.th/en/13189-hiking-trekking-shoes?refinementList[nature_id_en][0]=Shoes&sortBy=decathlon_thailand_category_price_asc

thank you.

Depends on  your characterisation of what hiking is and your expectations of the footwear. Haven't come across anything in Thailand  that a pair of approach shoes can't handle, unless you're planning to go higher than HVS  classification.

Approach shoes  may look like clumsy sneakers, but they support your feet and have a robust sole. So, check  how the sole twists and how easily your feet slip inside the shoe.

If you're main concern is about how they look. You're unlikely to need an expensive shoe.

• Haha 1