When the world shatters…

webfact

When the world shatters…

By The Nation

800_9b17c78e5339f1e.jpg?v=1603265934

Photo Credit to สังคมโรงงาน

Workers at a factory in Samut Prakan suddenly learned they were jobless halfway into their shift on Tuesday, and a photograph of them embracing each other for comfort went viral on the net.

The image was later shared on the “Factory Society” Facebook page with the caption: “The last embrace. It can happen. You’re working as usual and suddenly find you’re unemployed.”

This online community provides support to workers and keeps them updated on the unstable job market. Recent posts on this page say more layoffs are coming next month.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30396550

nation.jpg.54dd5b1de6f11c1f45460d863f36f

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-21

• Sad 5
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, polpott said:

Another conspiracy theory that has been disproved time and again. Even the US government have agreed that this is not the case.

How can anyone say definitively that this has or has not been disproved? Links with absolute authority? Has China allowed the kind of independent investigation that would get closer to certainty one way or the other? Isn't this exactly one of the reasons Australia and China are currently at loggerheads? And as for the US government, governments are a lot of people and departments, some of which are allowed to speak and some not, some of which want to speak and some not, some of which are still trying to figure things out but can't reveal their sources, and so on. 

Post above said no easy answers, but there is one easy answer: Bleep China! Bleep China for the rest of this century! You can blame the leaders of the US and UK and continental Europe all you want, but they didn't start it, and no one will have dealt with it perfectly, some better, some worse.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There are a lot of factories in Thailand cutting overtime and reducing hours in an attempt to delay what may turn out to be the inevitable. 

In addition, workers are being told that annual salary increases planned for April next year are are being reduced or removed altogether.

The global slow down goes well beyond the tourism sector, and I fear things will get worse before they get better. In the mean time, the push to automation marches on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Plus, Long CV19 is a huge problem.  Even if you recover, you may never be the same.  Just not known at this point.

Sounds like BS to me ....... to justify the governments & CDCs & WHOs foolishness.

"OH poop, nobody died and we've destroyed the world, what do we do now? ........ Tell 'em there are future consequences, they're so stupid they'll believe anything."

I wouldn't be surprised if 25% of all factories closed after a year of international restrictions and lockdowns.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, polpott said:

Because eminent virologists have studied the Covid genome and concluded that it occurred naturally. Not man made. This is now accepted by pretty much everyone apart from a few conspiracy theorists armed with zero facts.

I do NOT want to start an argument with anyone here. But I asked for links, not for assertions from another member who to my knowledge is no more of a scientist than I am. 

• Like 2

Yes, this is a picture of the new normal. The world economy is affected by this virus, and

Thailand will not be the only place where businesses are shut down and likely some gone

forever.  Another thing that TAT and the Thai government may want to factor into their

future estimate of future tourist numbers.  Good Luck.

Geezer

38 minutes ago, Enzian said:

I do NOT want to start an argument with anyone here. But I asked for links, not for assertions from another member who to my knowledge is no more of a scientist than I am. 

https://www.newscientist.com/term/coronavirus-come-lab/

"Researchers led by Shan-Lu Liu at the Ohio State University say there is “no credible evidence” of genetic engineering (Emerging Microbes & Infections, doi.org/dpvw). The virus’s genome has been sequenced, and if it had been altered, we would expect to see signs of inserted gene sequences. But we now know the points that differ from bat viruses are scattered in a fairly random way, just as they would be if the new virus had evolved naturally."

Many more links if you care to google it.

• Thanks 1

A conspiracy troll post has been removed please see the following: 

UPDATED NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING ON THAIVISA AMID COVID-19 - 25 MARCH 2020

In addition to the guidelines posted below and those detailed in the Thaivisa forum rules and following the announcement that Thai government will invoke emergency powers in order to help deal with the COVID-19 situation in the country, Thaivisa requests members posting on the forum to abide by the following:

Do not post news or any form of content, including video, audio, images, social media posts that contains messages that may cause people to be afraid or intentionally distort information, causing misunderstanding during the COVID-19 pandemic.   

Any posts or topics which our moderation team deems to be scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed without warning. You may also be subject to a posting suspension or have your profile permanently suspended from the site. 

Thank you for your co-operation.

3 hours ago, Farma said:

Meanwhile as the world suffers China's economy continues to grow. 4.9% July to September.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/18/economy/china-q3-gdp-intl-hnk/index.html

Could that be a consequence of China's draconian lock-down?

South Korea's economy isn't great, but, at least it is growing by 1%. They also adopted measures early.

Coincidence?

6 hours ago, polpott said:

https://www.newscientist.com/term/coronavirus-come-lab/

"Researchers led by Shan-Lu Liu at the Ohio State University say there is “no credible evidence” of genetic engineering (Emerging Microbes & Infections, doi.org/dpvw). The virus’s genome has been sequenced, and if it had been altered, we would expect to see signs of inserted gene sequences. But we now know the points that differ from bat viruses are scattered in a fairly random way, just as they would be if the new virus had evolved naturally."

Many more links if you care to google it.

A Chinese national educated in China working at a US university claims the motherland didn't do anything wrong. No conflict of interest there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

This virus is not man-made, because the nation in question would not create the virus, without also creating a cure, simultaneously, for obvious reasons.

As there is no cure (yet) we can safely assume it was not engineered.

Why create a cure for a virus that isn't all that bad in relation to others. If you're going to create a bio weapon you don't want something that is going to decimate your own population. You want something that is going to kill a few people then let your propaganda machine do the rest of the work. 

15 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Assuming world population is 7 billion. Assuming say 4 billion are working age (allowing for students, oaps, disabled, kids, etc), Assuming that just 1% - just 1% - lose their jobs due to covid - 40,000,000 people have their jobs for the deaths of one million people , most of whom are over 82, obese or ill had other illnesses ! If it starts cranking up to 3% of the world losing their jobs, we are looking at 120,000,000 people for a million deaths. The figures just do not add up to keep destroying the planets working population for the amount of healthy working population deaths.

Is it truly reasonable in any degree to shut the world down for 0.000016% of its population dying ?

Would you still get on that airplane if i said there was a 0.000016% it might crash ?

Your post is plain dumb; right now 1,140,000 people have  died of COVID, officially. But what you are unable to understand, for apparent lack of IQ, is that the lockdowns, that have indeed caused the loss of many jobs have saved many millions of people who would have died if the disease had been left loose..

Just don't try to bring up numbers, when you are totally lacking any analytical sense.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1