When the world shatters…

When the world shatters…

By The Nation

800_9b17c78e5339f1e.jpg?v=1603265934

Photo Credit to สังคมโรงงาน

Workers at a factory in Samut Prakan suddenly learned they were jobless halfway into their shift on Tuesday, and a photograph of them embracing each other for comfort went viral on the net.

The image was later shared on the “Factory Society” Facebook page with the caption: “The last embrace. It can happen. You’re working as usual and suddenly find you’re unemployed.”

This online community provides support to workers and keeps them updated on the unstable job market. Recent posts on this page say more layoffs are coming next month.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30396550

nation.jpg.54dd5b1de6f11c1f45460d863f36f

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-21

• Haha 1
  • Sad 5
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Assuming world population is 7 billion. Assuming say 4 billion are working age (allowing for students, oaps, disabled, kids, etc), Assuming that just 1% - just 1% - lose their jobs due to covid - 40,0

Theres gonna be a hell of a lot more of this, worldwide...

Sadly, this is how we will start to see the polls shift away from most Thais thinking that the country remaining closed is a good thing. Most do not yet understand that, even though their own

I managed 12 hours two weeks ago here in the UK before being terminated without severance pay not even a goodbye back on the dole with some outstanding under 4 quid Asda red 🤔  

• Confused 2
12 hours ago, lujanit said:

Unfortunately a sign of the times.  Hope the employees get 100% of their entitlements.

they get to keep the hats...uniformed can be left in the break room.....the river continues to run dry in LOS...

15 minutes ago, polpott said:

Another conspiracy theory that has been disproved time and again. Even the US government have agreed that this is not the case.

How can anyone say definitively that this has or has not been disproved? Links with absolute authority? Has China allowed the kind of independent investigation that would get closer to certainty one way or the other? Isn't this exactly one of the reasons Australia and China are currently at loggerheads? And as for the US government, governments are a lot of people and departments, some of which are allowed to speak and some not, some of which want to speak and some not, some of which are still trying to figure things out but can't reveal their sources, and so on. 

Post above said no easy answers, but there is one easy answer: Bleep China! Bleep China for the rest of this century! You can blame the leaders of the US and UK and continental Europe all you want, but they didn't start it, and no one will have dealt with it perfectly, some better, some worse.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There are a lot of factories in Thailand cutting overtime and reducing hours in an attempt to delay what may turn out to be the inevitable. 

In addition, workers are being told that annual salary increases planned for April next year are are being reduced or removed altogether.

The global slow down goes well beyond the tourism sector, and I fear things will get worse before they get better. In the mean time, the push to automation marches on.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Plus, Long CV19 is a huge problem.  Even if you recover, you may never be the same.  Just not known at this point.

Sounds like BS to me ....... to justify the governments & CDCs & WHOs foolishness.

"OH poop, nobody died and we've destroyed the world, what do we do now? ........ Tell 'em there are future consequences, they're so stupid they'll believe anything."

I wouldn't be surprised if 25% of all factories closed after a year of international restrictions and lockdowns.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, polpott said:

Because eminent virologists have studied the Covid genome and concluded that it occurred naturally. Not man made. This is now accepted by pretty much everyone apart from a few conspiracy theorists armed with zero facts.

I do NOT want to start an argument with anyone here. But I asked for links, not for assertions from another member who to my knowledge is no more of a scientist than I am. 

• Like 2

This virus is not man-made, because the nation in question would not create the virus, without also creating a cure, simultaneously, for obvious reasons.

As there is no cure (yet) we can safely assume it was not engineered.

• Like 1