Able to entering to Thailand married abroad but not in Thailand??

I would be happy if someone who knows, can tell me what is valid for having the chance of going from Sweden to Thailand and be welcomed in.

I know that married to a thai is one of the conditions... But lets say I am married in Sweden but NOT in Thailand.... Do they refuse me to enter Thailand??  Must I be married inside Thailand???

glegolo

As UJ already confirmed > When married to a Thai national (or having Thai dependent children) you are eligible for the CoE which is currently required to enter Thailand.  And when applying at the Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home-country it does not matter where that marriage took place (as long as you can show the marriage certificate).

But once you are in Thailand and wanting to extend your stay for reason of marriage, you would need to have the foreign marriage certificate approved as Thai Immigration requires a Thai certificate of marriage registration.  There is much information on that topic on the Forum, and it is recommended to check that out as soon as you are in Thailand and not wait till your extension of stay is due (when you want to do that for reason of marriage) as it is not an overnight process but can take quite some time.

56 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

But once you are in Thailand and wanting to extend your stay for reason of marriage, you would need to have the foreign marriage certificate approved as Thai Immigration requires a Thai certificate of marriage registration. 

It is registering a foreign marriage at a Amphoe and they issue a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry form that immigration requires. It is not a approval of the marriage certificate.

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2020 at 3:34 PM, glegolo said:

I would be happy if someone who knows, can tell me what is valid for having the chance of going from Sweden to Thailand and be welcomed in.

I know that married to a thai is one of the conditions... But lets say I am married in Sweden but NOT in Thailand.... Do they refuse me to enter Thailand??  Must I be married inside Thailand???

glegolo

My wife (Thai) and I were married in the US. For the visa to enter Thailand last month I had to submit our marriage certificate to a Thai consulate in the US. Here it was an original marriage certificate signed by officials in the county where the marriage took place - not fully legalized by state and federal agencies.