UK scientific advisor says coronavirus unlikely to be eradicated

snoop1130

UK scientific advisor says coronavirus unlikely to be eradicated

2020-10-21T094353Z_1_LYNXMPEG9K0QU_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS.JPG

Small toy figures are placed on a chalkboard near "Social distancing - COVID-19" words printed on paper in this illustration taken May 27, 2020. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration

LONDON (Reuters) - The coronavirus will be around for "evermore" as it is unlikely it will be eradicated, a British scientist on the government's advisory committee for the pandemic said on Wednesday, although a vaccine would help improve the situation.

Britain, like other countries in Europe, is currently in the grip of a resurgence in COVID-19 infections, with much of the country under local restrictions and more than 21,000 daily cases reported on Tuesday.

"We are going to have to live with this virus for evermore. There is very little chance that it's going to become eradicated," John Edmunds, a member of Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE), told lawmakers.

Although the coronavirus will be around indefinitely, Edmunds said that the prospect of a vaccine towards the end of the winter should impact the government's strategy now.

"If vaccines are just around the corner then, in my view, we should try and keep the incidence as low as we can now, because we will be able to use vaccines in the not too distant future," he said.

He said the UK had played a "clever game" in investing in different coronavirus vaccines. Britain has signed supply deals for six different COVID-19 vaccines, with 340 million doses secured across different types of technologies.

"I think we will be in a reasonable position in months," he said. "I don't think we're going to be vaccinating everybody but to start, maybe the highest risk people, healthcare workers and so on."

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-10-21

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Britain has signed supply deals for six different COVID-19 vaccines, with 340 million doses secured across different types of technologies.

Hopefully , at least some of them will work , and not make people suffering any side - effects ...

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

"We are going to have to live with this virus for evermore. There is very little chance that it's going to become eradicated,"

No back to the ' old normal ' then . Never .

There is very little chance that many small businesses will survive this ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Khun Paul said:

Well what a wonderful honest statement, what did he have an epiphany, you cannot kill a virus.

FACT , therefore it will be around for centuries,only a vaccine will reduce the death rate and the sickness rate  .

I love it when so-called experts tell us something we all know ( or those of us that have a thinking brain ) .

Sometimes even truth telling can be misleading. Imagine if the grandfather of this expert were to tell the population in 1919 that the flu would never be eradicated, bearing in mind that this flu was killing more people than the First World War that ended a year earlier. Instead, the expert should also say (and maybe this has been edited out by the media) the following:

1. That like the flu, we will probably have a Covid jab for those who need it every year. And like the flu jab, it won't guarantee you won't get the flu but if you get it if is highly likely to be much milder and it reduces vastly the probability of getting it. So not being able to eradicate Covid will not be an issue.

2. Even if we were not able to generate a vaccine, eventually the virus would change over time (I am not talking about herd immunity - the only examples of herd immunity in history resulted from vaccine). The Spanish Flu eventually changed and stopped killing the numbers it did. Same with covid if we were just to let it run (which I do not recommend!). So while we are highly unlikely to erradicate covid, we are likely in a no-vaccine scenario to eventually end up with a virus that we can live with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Proboscis said:

1. That like the flu, we will probably have a Covid jab for those who need it every year.

That is the key point: for those who need it.

Almost every country rushed hysterically to quarantine the entire population when, from the very start, we should have been directing real resources at shielding the vulnerable while everyone else continued their work so that we could pay for it.

What Professor Edmunds is saying is that we don't need to vaccinate everyone and, with dibs on six different vaccines, it is likely that one of them will give the vulnerable enough protection for the rest of us to be able to return to our normal lives.

My personal hunch is that the governments are aware that this situation cannot continue but they need a plausible narrative to return to normal without admitting that the entire basis under which they destroyed their economies was errant nonsense. A vaccine gives them that plausible narrative regardless of its actual effectiveness. To save our economies from disaster, some of the vulnerable will be sacrificed but, in Western electoral politics, it is not possible to actually say that. 

So, prepare to watch, "within months", the governments and media in every country embrace one or two vaccines wholeheartedly. Any questions about the effectiveness will be brutally suppressed as "anti-vaxxer" blasphemy and deleted from social media. There is so much at stake now. No dissent will be tolerated.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

That's simply common sense. 

That is what past generations used to do, use common sense.

Sadly in todays electronic world, common sense is falling by the wayside. It is being replaces by electronic gizmos that can be reached by billions of people, spewing endless <deleted> out along with some common sense. Leaving us to sift through it all looking for real information. 

• Like 2

The day COVID spread in Europe like no other – 'The situation has become very serious'

Was this the day COVID-19 spread across Europe like no other?

On Wednesday, at least 22 European countries recorded their highest ever number of daily infections.

At the top of that list was the UK, which recorded 26,688 cases – though far more coronavirus tests are now being conducted than during the first wave of the pandemic, during which it is thought there were 100,000 infections a day at one point.

Spain also had a record daily figure – 16,973 – as it became the first European country to pass a symbolic threshold of one million cases since the start of the global pandemic.

The country’s health minister, Salvador Illa, had warned on Tuesday: “Some very hard weeks are coming.”

James Morris
·Senior news reporter, Yahoo News UK

9 hours ago, pookondee said:

Exactly.

So, If this opinion is right and we cant eradicate the virus,

and it will be with us forever, regardless,

then what we have done is essentially shut the whole world down for absolutely nothing.

Time to open up,

get life back to normal before more lives are lost and people everywhere suffer more trauma as a result of the ridiculous

over-reaction to it. 

"If vaccines are just around the corner then, in my view, we should try and keep the incidence as low as we can now, because we will be able to use vaccines in the not too distant future," he said.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

That is what past generations used to do, use common sense.

Medieval Cures for the Black Death

A healthy chicken was taken and its back and rear plucked clean; this bare part of the live chicken was then applied to the swollen nodes of the sick person and the chicken strapped in place. When the chicken showed signs of illness, it was thought to be drawing the disease from the person. It was removed, washed, and strapped back on and this continued until the chicken or the patient died.

https://www.ancient.eu/article/1540/medieval-cures-for-the-black-death/

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Not to be a negative nelly, but the thing everyone seems to be forgetting here, is that the vaccines will not be 100% effective on everyone anyway.

This is what makes Thailands (and other countries) crazy hoop jumping process even more silly..

Right now they want zero risk of infected people entering,

but even when everyone is vaccinated, there will still be those who the vaccine won't work on.

Therefore, there will still be a chance that a certain % of people will be infected and crossing through borders anyway...

well, that is of course, unless they accept the vaccinated folks  

AND keep all the crazy hoops and restrictions in place on them anyways.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, pookondee said:

Not to be a negative nelly, but the thing everyone seems to be forgetting here, is that the vaccines will not be 100% effective on everyone anyway.

This is what makes Thailands (and other countries) crazy hoop jumping process even more silly..

Right now they want zero risk of infected people entering,

but even when everyone is vaccinated, there will still be those who the vaccine won't work on.

Therefore, there will still be a chance that a certain % of people will be infected and crossing through borders anyway...

well, that is of course, unless they accept the vaccinated folks  

AND keep all the crazy hoops and restrictions in place on them anyways.

It depends on what you mean by "there will still be those who the vaccine won't work on." If you mean that they will come down with covid, certainly. But as the flu vaccine has shown, even those who do come down with flu after being vaccinated tend to get milder symptoms.

Edited by placeholder

21 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Hopefully , at least some of them will work , and not make people suffering any side - effects ...

No back to the ' old normal ' then . Never .

There is very little chance that many small businesses will survive this ...

the obvious response is to ban schools, resturants,

and any businesses that causes humans to interact, for good

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, placeholder said:

Medieval Cures for the Black Death

A healthy chicken was taken and its back and rear plucked clean; this bare part of the live chicken was then applied to the swollen nodes of the sick person and the chicken strapped in place. When the chicken showed signs of illness, it was thought to be drawing the disease from the person. It was removed, washed, and strapped back on and this continued until the chicken or the patient died.

https://www.ancient.eu/article/1540/medieval-cures-for-the-black-death/

Should we therefore use medieval cures to deal with Covid?

When I got the flu/measles and other childhood diseases, my Mum would pack me off to bed with hot water and lemon juice and make some of my favourite foods etc. She kept me off school so that I didn't infect my classmates or catch anything from them. Most childhood diseases of the 40s/50s and 60s weren't too bad but there was always TB, polio and a few other nasty bugs about most of which have been eradicated or so rare hardly anybody gets them any more, at least in the west.

44 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Should we therefore use medieval cures to deal with Covid?

When I got the flu/measles and other childhood diseases, my Mum would pack me off to bed with hot water and lemon juice and make some of my favourite foods etc. She kept me off school so that I didn't infect my classmates or catch anything from them. Most childhood diseases of the 40s/50s and 60s weren't too bad but there was always TB, polio and a few other nasty bugs about most of which have been eradicated or so rare hardly anybody gets them any more, at least in the west.

Personally, I recommend eye of newt and I don't care much whether it's medieval or Elizabethan.