It's been nearly 8 weeks since I submitted my son's UK passport renewal.  I had hoped it would take much less time than this, although they do say to allow 8 weeks. His annual Thai Extension is due for renewal in the next few weeks, so I'm a little worried something may have gone wrong.  The DHL tracking just shows it was received in Liverpool, UK in early September, but nothing since then.

What is the most cost-effective and/or productive way of chasing HMPO up?  

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Phone number is   +44 300 222 0000   Or try enquiries   https://eforms.homeoffice.gov.uk/outreach/Passport_Enquiries.ofml   Or track application    ht

Did you use VFS in Bangkok? Or did you try doing things on your own? My passport was returned in 4 weeks, submitted on last day of August back in Thailand 4 weeks later.

After a number of emails, I finally got a reply and an apology:   Dear Mr ****   Thank you for your email and bringing this to our attention.  You did indeed make payment on 15 Sep

How do you know about the DHL tracking? Did you not submit your son's passport application through VFS ? If you couriered it yourself direct to Liverpool then I am sorry to say, but you are in for a big delay!

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Did they take the money...just one sign of potential progress.

Yes.  My credit card was debited soon after the application arrived in the UK (nearly 8 weeks ago).

Just now, prakhonchai nick said:

How do you know about the DHL tracking? Did you not submit your son's passport application through VFS ? If you couriered it yourself direct to Liverpool then I am sorry to say, but you are in for a big delay!

VFS supplied the DHL tracking number.  It's shown on the VFS receipt.

Check your email spam folder? They may have an issue with provenance, passport picture or something. Unusual that it should have been hung up for this length of time without any contact.

Isn't there a contact number/email for the Liverpool passport office? I have seen other threads where errant passport application have been tracked down and questions answered.

Also suggest you check with VFS (spam filter again?) as they will only hold on to a passport for maybe two weeks before sending it back to the UK if the applicant doesn't come and get it after being notified.

Edited by NanLaew
30 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Check your email spam folder? They may have an issue with provenance, passport picture or something. Unusual that it should have been hung up for this length of time without any contact.

Isn't there a contact number/email for the Liverpool passport office? I have seen other threads where errant passport application have been tracked down and questions answered.

Also suggest you check with VFS (spam filter again?) as they will only hold on to a passport for maybe two weeks before sending it back to the UK if the applicant doesn't come and get it after being notified.

I check my junk mail daily.  I'm fairly confident that if it had been sent back to VFS, the DHL tracking would show this.

It's the email or phone contact for Liverpool I think I need.

13 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I check my junk mail daily.  I'm fairly confident that if it had been sent back to VFS, the DHL tracking would show this.

The new passport will be sent under a different DHL airwaybill and different tracking number. You only have the number for the package sent from VFS.

16 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I received this from VFS when renewing a few years ago, might still be valid.....

Should you wish to contact HMPO at Liverpool, the email address is : [email protected] and the telephone number is + 44 (0) 300 222 0000.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Did you use VFS in Bangkok?

Or did you try doing things on your own?

My passport was returned in 4 weeks, submitted on last day of August back in Thailand 4 weeks later.

I think maybe the clue to your question might be in the post from the OP, where he said "VFS supplied the DHL tracking number.  It's shown on the VFS receipt" 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The new passport will be sent under a different DHL airwaybill and different tracking number. You only have the number for the package sent from VFS.

I had not realised that.  I had assumed that the DHL tracking number provided by VFS was for tracking it both ways!  

Thanks for the advice and links.

I received a reply from HMPO as below:

To: ********

Re: Track ********
Message_ID:
X-TSID:
-------------------------------------------

Dear Mr *******

Thank you for your reply.

There has been an issue with payment. Please contact [email protected] or 0191 370 7093.

Thank you,

Customer Service E-Mail Team

However, the fee (88.51 GBP) was deducted from my credit card on 16 September by HMPO.  If there was "an issue", why wasn't I contacted, and why are they holding on to my money?

I received an email from HMPO back in September telling me to allow up to 8 weeks for the renewal, due to the Covid situation, which is why I waited before chasing this up.  Now, it seems that HMPO would have just held on to my payment and not issued my son's passport indefinitely, if I had not contacted them.

I've threatened a complaint and demanded an immediate explanation.

I'm about to collect my replacement UK passport next week. Here's a timeline  of my application.

10-9-20. applied for appointment at Trendy. Told there was a three week waiting time and currently a 6 week processing time, with currently only available on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Given an appointment for 2-10-20

Supplied docs, payment details and application, then received a confirmation email from HMPO the same day, on 2-10-20, confirming the application

2-10-20, also had a text message confirming the application had been forwarded to HMPO Liverpool

Payment deducted from my UK band account on 6-10-20

15-10-20 email from HMPO confirming COVID-19 could delay the process by up to 8 weeks

Just four days later, on 19-10-20 had an email to say my new passport had been delivered to HMPO at Trendy already and was available for collection at any time after 21-10-20, between 11.00am - 13.00pm

21-10-20, received at text from HMPO confirming the new passport had arrived at Trendy and was available for collection after 11.00am on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday