3.8% of dishes at vegetarian festival test positive for meat

snoop1130

10 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

4. Vegetables and fruit (bok choy, kale, long beans, celery, sweet peppers, radish, white cabbage, cabbage, oranges and rose apple): 20.8% of samples exceeded safe levels of chemical residue.

If these are pesticides that accumulate, long term this cause some real problems - especially if this isn't unique to the veggies from the veggie festival...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

3.8% of dishes at vegetarian festival test positive for meat

By The Nation

Very odd article to be writing and publishing. Usually sites try to PROMOTE Thai Festivals using encouraging and positive enticements to get more people to attend.

18 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The test results were as follows:

[...]

3. Noodles (rice noodle, vermicelli, etc): 34.5% of samples contained sorbic acid

??? 

Wikipedia: Sorbic acid (natural organic compound used as a food preservative)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

Another fear mongering article. I just went to the vegetarian festival and bought some food. No problem at all.

Good for you. As you enjoyed your recent tasty snack, I will be sure to completely ignore the report issued by the notoriously transparent  Thai government indicating one third of products contain sorbic acid and 20% contains high levels of pesticides. 

7 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

3. Noodles (rice noodle, vermicelli, etc): 34.5% of samples contained sorbic acid and 20% contained synthetic organic colouring – additives banned by the Public Health Ministry because they can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.

If previous stories on TV are correct, potentially urine too

Not surprised as I worked as a Chef in LOS.....I took a cutie to a shop for "Jok"...she was a vegan(ugh), but cute enough for me to tolerate her veganism.......she order the vegan jok, which meant the thai workers just scooped the jok out of the big pot avoiding the pork balls that simmer in there 24/7/365......is why Im very suspicious of vegan places in CM, as working with thais and food safety was a "experience"....I recall if I made a recipe at 6pm today then tomorrow at 6pm was 2 days to thais..(24 hrs)..hence always finding my food discounted as it was "old"...nope

Or using albacore tuna and thais ordering me chunk lite aka cat food and saying same same!...nope..it is NOT same

• Haha 2

TIT

As you enter Phuket there are colourful back drops which resemble harvest festival fare.

Take a stole along the streets in Phuket town to the wafts of boiling fat and displays of dirty looking profiteers offering deep fried everything bought with one intention, as much mark up as possible.

????

• Like 2

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Dr Supakit Sirilak, acting chief of the Medical Sciences Department under the Public Health Ministry, said vegetarian foods are imported as well as being produced domestically, but not all products were labelled. Some also contained dairy products or were even contaminated with meat because producers failed to properly clean machines usually used to make meat products, he added.

Who'd have thought that would happen.

• Like 1

Basic hygiene in Thailand not high on the list of things to do took me ages to get the wife to understand cold water never cleans anything, If i wash up I like to use hot water and leave the dishes soaking every so often I sterilize the cutlery with boiling water we got there eventually.

Im not Thai bashing but they never wash their hands after using the toilets

5 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Basic hygiene in Thailand not high on the list of things to do took me ages to get the wife to understand cold water never cleans anything, If i wash up I like to use hot water and leave the dishes soaking every so often I sterilize the cutlery with boiling water we got there eventually.

A bit of dirt/bacteria builds your immune system.

I think your wife is right and you are wrong, the west suffers from cleanliness OCD.

As for vegans ....... a bit of meat won't hurt them, shhhhhh ....... they'll never know.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

A bit of dirt/bacteria builds your immune system.

I think your wife is right and you are wrong, the west suffers from cleanliness OCD.

As for vegans ....... a bit of meat won't hurt them, shhhhhh ....... they'll never know.

True.

I went to visit a friend in a village.

What they were eating, I could not touch. The meat was looking "challenging" and the green stuff, hmm, at home, I would have probably treated it as weeds ????

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Same as washing their clothes with cold water in bathroom sink even when a washing machine is available.

This underwear must be hanging outside every night ????

3 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Same as washing their clothes with cold water in bathroom sink even when a washing machine is available.

This underwear must be hanging outside every night ????

That would do my head in, I dont have that problem the washing machine gets used in our house