3.8% of dishes at vegetarian festival test positive for meat

snoop1130

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

A bit of dirt/bacteria builds your immune system.

I think your wife is right and you are wrong, the west suffers from cleanliness OCD.

As for vegans ....... a bit of meat won't hurt them, shhhhhh ....... they'll never know.

Nothing wrong with my humane system

Oh dude I ate the food and feel fine this article is bs.   Well pesticides don't usually have an instant effect.    I knew a school  director  who would not let me eat watermelon.   She knew a watermelon farmer who told her not to eat any in Thailand because him and  most  farmers use so many pesticides even injecting  red dye inside. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Not surprised as I worked as a Chef in LOS.....I took a cutie to a shop for "Jok"...she was a vegan(ugh), but cute enough for me to tolerate her veganism.......she order the vegan jok, which meant the thai workers just scooped the jok out of the big pot avoiding the pork balls that simmer in there 24/7/365......is why Im very suspicious of vegan places in CM, as working with thais and food safety was a "experience"....I recall if I made a recipe at 6pm today then tomorrow at 6pm was 2 days to thais..(24 hrs)..hence always finding my food discounted as it was "old"...nope

Depending on the trust of the restaurant and how serious you are about ensuring the meal is meat-free, I would watch the food being distributed.

It's best to go to places that have dedicated vegan dishes or just 100% vegan.  Or with a local restaurant that already knows your vegan preferences.   

Of course going to a new restaurant and trying to assert your vegan preference can be interesting on the first or second go.

37 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Oh dude I ate the food and feel fine this article is bs.   Well pesticides don't usually have an instant effect.    I knew a school  director  who would not let me eat watermelon.   She knew a watermelon farmer who told her not to eat any in Thailand because him and  most  farmers use so many pesticides even injecting  red dye inside. 

I know a guy that does hydroponic/aquaponic farming locally.  I get muskmelons from him, and he also does tomatoes, lettuce, and occasionally watermelons.   No dye injections or pesticides.   But 1kg is like ฿60.  There may be other places that are cheaper.   Try to see if you can find a local farmer and buy direct.  Or you can buy from someone you trust and have them ship it to your house.

It seems some people make a big issue out of nothing.

My gf told me that for the vegetarian festival the chefs are not allowed to use the pans and pots which they used already for meat. This is not about that a chef makes one meal with meat and the next one with vegetable in the same pan. It's about that a pan which was ever (i.e. last week, then cleaned) used with meat can't be used now for vegetarian food. I think that's crazy.

And let's not forget that many people who eat now for a couple of days vegetarian food were eating meat a month ago and they will eat meat again sometime later this year. What's the point of taking it so serious for a couple of days or weeks?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And let's not forget that many people who eat now for a couple of days vegetarian food were eating meat a month ago and they will eat meat again sometime later this year. What's the point of taking it so serious for a couple of days or weeks?

So true, part time vegetarians

and lets not forget the 99% part time Buddhists of Thailand. 

Ps good job they never checked the special sauce supplied by

Harry and the Monks, :shock1:

Edited by quake

Some good points from other replies and self-important embellishments :

A bit of meat doesn't change the overall intent or value of eating less meat. Not using pots previously used for meat? Ridiculous. 

Pesticides in vegetables? Of course there are. And very few people have any choice in this. Remember the hormones and dyes in your meat though. 

Hot water doesn't really affect bacterial load unless it's very very hot; basic fact. Cold water with soap and air drying is very effective. Bacteria (not viruses) can only survive with some moisture present. Hence dried meats, vegetables, especially salted, last for years if kept dry. If you want cutlery that's nearly 100% microbe-free just leave it the direct sunlight for a few minutes regardless of how it's washed.  You can also buy a cheap nail polish curing light, UV, and do it almost instantly. Better yet soak them in whiskey as one guy suggested! ????

It is undeniably true that our immune systems benefit from minor but frequent challenges from common AND emerging microbes. Sanitizing everything in sight will make you sick. The USA CDC has been warning Americans for years about this. 

Finally, most Thai people DO practice BASIC hygiene or we, and they, would all be constantly sick. It's true they don't prep as if for surgery every time they eat. Also, see paragraph above and thank them for immunizing you against microbes common in the local food and water. 

On 10/22/2020 at 12:41 PM, Elkski said:

Probably true. A couple of year ago in Bangkok there was a scandal when chemical residue were found in 2 of 10 samples marked as "organic" in the big supermarkets by the National Bureau of Agricultural Commodity and Food Standards.