Immigration asking for 1 year bank statements - bank is slow in providing them, what to do?

Asking this for a friend who is doing a 1 year retirement renewal using monthly pension (60k + difference in bank) from overseas with Embassy letter. The documents are all okay but Immigration asked for 1 year bank statements. Last year they asked only for 2 months bank statements. The bank said it takes 7-10 days to get them done but the visa is expiring in 3 days. What to do? Is there any sort of temporary extension to get while waiting for the bank statements?

Edited by patrickl

They are wanting proof this year that full the full amount of the money in the bank stayed in the bank for 3 months and then half of it for the remainder of the year.

Apparently that is Bangkok Bank since they are the only one needing a week to get them as far as I know. If it is Bangkok Bank and he is near Bangkok he could go the to the main office on Silom Road and get it while he waits.

There is no extension he can apply for. But there would be no overstay fine until after the 31st. But he needs to talk to the office where he is applying about doing his extension a few days late.

• Like 1

They probably also require evidence of regular monthly pension transfers (1 per calendar month) into his Thai account as part of the "combo" method. I use the 65k monthly income method for my retirement extension applications in its entirety, and what I do is to obtain Bangkok Bank statements over the counter (with no waiting period) every 6 months for this purpose. While these have proved acceptable in the case of my immigration office (Rayong), I would strongly advise your pal to check with his office whether 6-monthly statements would also be acceptable in their case (as part of a conversation with them about the possibility of delaying his retirement extension application) should he be minded to follow suit.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OJAS said:

They probably also require evidence of regular monthly pension transfers (1 per calendar month) into his Thai account as part of the "combo" method.

That is not needed since he has proof from his embassy.

9 hours ago, patrickl said:

Asking this for a friend who is doing a 1 year retirement renewal using monthly pension (60k + difference in bank) from overseas with Embassy letter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Apparently that is Bangkok Bank since they are the only one needing a week to get them as far as I know. If it is Bangkok Bank and he is near Bangkok he could go the to the main office on Silom Road and get it while he waits.

Joe…. Normally your spot on with your advice/information, but sorry to advise you that on this occasion the part of your statement which I have highlighted above is not correct.

Bangkok bank HQ (on the Silom Road in Bangkok) are not able to issue a statement covering the past years transaction while you wait.  Like their branches, you must order the statement and then collect it, which in the case of HQ is two days later - cost 200 THB.

I have a foreign deposit account and a standard THB savings account registered with Bangkok bank’s HQ.  Last year for my extension of stay I requested the past year’s statement for my foreign deposit account in order to show transfer of funds from overseas.  I was surprised that they could not produce the statement there and then, it had to be ordered and the request sent to another department within HQ to be process.  I had to collect it two days later.

As someone has already pointed out, Bangkok bank HQ can produce a statement covering the previous six months while you wait – cost 100 THB.  So, for this year’s renewal I obtained two statements, one six months before the extension renewal date and a second statement covering the previous six months a couple of weeks before I submitted my renewal of extension.  My local immigration office (Nakhon Pathom) accepted the two statements without any questions.

There is an alternative for those who have a foreign deposit account with Bangkok bank HQ.  If you have signed up for notification of deposit of funds from overseas you will receive an email from the bank confirming receipt of transferred funds.  Attached to the email there is a pdf copy of your credit advice note which provides all the details of the transfer.  If you save the twelve months credit advice notes and then print these out and take them to the bank (HQ), they will produce a letter/statement itemising the twelve transaction which is also accepted by my local immigration office – cost 200 THB.

FYI – Bangkok bank HQ will also provide you with a letter for immigration confirming the account holder’s details and balance at that date – cost 100 THB.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

Bangkok bank HQ (on the Silom Road in Bangkok) are not able to issue a statement covering the past years transaction while you wait.  Like their branches, you must order the statement and then collect it, which in the case of HQ is two days later - cost 200 THB.

I can recall somebody stating they got one quickly. Two days is still be better than a week or more in the OP"s case.

20 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

There is an alternative for those who have a foreign deposit account with Bangkok bank HQ.  If you have signed up for notification of deposit of funds from overseas you will receive an email from the bank confirming receipt of transferred funds.

He is not doing transfers to prove his income. He needs the statement to prove his money in the bank never went below the required amount since his last extension.

I got a six month statement at my local Bang Yai, Nonthaburi branch in about 10 minutes. Next year however, I will go to Silom a week early to get my twelve month. Too many variables. You almost really need a 12 month + to include both last year's application month and this year's latest. I'm guessing you can ask for 13 months ?

9 minutes ago, tonray said:

I'm guessing you can ask for 13 months ?

Yes you can.

I use the income option but the 13 months don't help me due to the week delay puts me closer to my extension ending date than I feel comfortable with. I get the one year statement the month before and then a one month statement to show my transfer for the month I apply,

• Like 2

IME. CW  - ext stay/ret/inc. - asked for copies, and the originals, of my BBL passbooks for the previous 12 months. (I did have two sets of six-month statements in hand, not asked for.) The originals were returned with my passport.

I guess I would see if passbooks will be sufficient, assuming the "friend" has them.

My experience with BBK bank is that it depends on the branch.  I don't need a letter confirming annual deposits but the main branch in Buriram will produce a letter on the day confirming my foreign account (at head office) balance on the day.  Yes, the usual 100 baht charge applies.  I have had less happy experiences with other branches, other towns,  in the past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

I guess I would see if passbooks will be sufficient, assuming the "friend" has them.

Even for an Extension based on Bank deposit I am wondering if Jomtien will be happy with my bankbooks, rather than a 12 month statement, as likely I will have to show I retained the 800/400/800 kbaht as specified.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

IME. CW  - ext stay/ret/inc. - asked for copies, and the originals, of my BBL passbooks for the previous 12 months. (I did have two sets of six-month statements in hand, not asked for.) The originals were returned with my passport.

Yes, if you regularly updated your BBL pass-book, it will feature all the transactions you made on that account and thus provide exactly the same information as on the 12-month statement.

Surely if you don't make many transactions on your account, you would think that would be acceptable.  But unfortunately some IOs now insist on the 12-month bank-statement on top of the pass-book copies (even with little or no transactions), so you would need to check whether IO would accept the pass-book when the delay in getting the 12-month bank-statement would push you over the permission to stay expiry date.

I use BKK bank and have always had my passbooks copied onto BKK bank headed paper .

Stamped at the bottom and signed by someone at the bank.

I was told by the bank a few years ago that it would take 2 weeks to get a bank statement , but by then it would be out of the 24 hr time limit the Imm. office imposed.

I explained that to the Immi. officers and have used the former method ever since.

I hope it hasn't changed.

Is there any bank that does an on the spot bank statement ?

Would be nice to know for future reference.

Edited by NE1

10 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, if you regularly updated your BBL pass-book, it will feature all the transactions you made on that account and thus provide exactly the same information as on the 12-month statement.

Surely if you don't make many transactions on your account, you would think that would be acceptable.  But unfortunately some IOs now insist on the 12-month bank-statement on top of the pass-book copies (even with little or no transactions), so you would need to check whether IO would accept the pass-book when the delay in getting the 12-month bank-statement would push you over the permission to stay expiry date.

In addition some will take your passbook to an ATM to update the balance just to check if you are not a master countefeiter....even after providing bank letter and statements !

• Like 1

15 hours ago, patrickl said:

Asking this for a friend who is doing a 1 year retirement renewal using monthly pension (60k + difference in bank) from overseas with Embassy letter. The documents are all okay but Immigration asked for 1 year bank statements. Last year they asked only for 2 months bank statements. The bank said it takes 7-10 days to get them done but the visa is expiring in 3 days. What to do? Is there any sort of temporary extension to get while waiting for the bank statements?

The lesson is don't do your extension at the last moment. I usually do mine 40 days before the expiry date just in case something goes wrong.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonray said:

In addition some will take your passbook to an ATM to update the balance just to check if you are not a master countefeiter....even after providing bank letter and statements !

Well not an ATM but a passbook update machine, a different beast and certainly not as commonly found as ATMs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The lesson is don't do your extension at the last moment. I usually do mine 40 days before the expiry date just in case something goes wrong.

excepy for people who need to show insurance...your policy needs to start (in many IOs) the day you apply...leaving you with little leeway as the extension only goes to last effective day of the policy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

Is there any bank that does an on the spot bank statement ?

Would be nice to know for future reference.

I am with TMB and I got a 12 month statement on the spot, but had to give 2 days notice for the letter.

The teller stamped and signed the statement but apparently only managers can issue letters on behalf of the bank.

• Like 1

Hey guys...

I myself like many others I am sure keep up to date with all requirements for our extensions each year. I prepare what is requested 30 days out and make sure all is ready to go for said time.

It is only common sense to keep up to date with whats needed and if you get caught out...well, more fool you.

I have never ever had a problem over the past 10 years of renewal of my extensions as its not hard to read the forums thanks to Thai visa and UbonJoe's very imformative updates.

I did have had the same problem, just went back to the immigration office and told the immigration officer my problem. the grab the phone and after that the Immigration Officers told me that I could pick up the documents the next day

The next day I went to the bank and all was signed stamped and ready.

It takes me 4 days to get a 12 month copy of my bank book from Bangkok Bank in Ratchaburi.  I do not know if it takes longer if you live farther away from Bangkok.  But why would the person wait until 3 days were left to do his extension when you could do it 30 or in some cases 45 days early.  Go to immigrations when they open.  I am sure they will be closed on Friday for the holiday so you lose that time.  As immigrations if you can copy your  bank book and use it now and get the 12 month statement to them when your the bank gets it.  I still don't understand why anyone would wait so late to do their extension.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They are wanting proof this year that full the full amount of the money in the bank stayed in the bank for 3 months and then half of it for the remainder of the year.

There is no extension he can apply for. But there would be no overstay fine until after the 31st. But he needs to talk to the office where he is applying about doing his extension a few days late.

He is not talking about that, he is talking about monthly proof of transfer from overseas.... 

1 hour ago, Mango Bob said:

It takes me 4 days to get a 12 month copy of my bank book from Bangkok Bank in Ratchaburi.  I do not know if it takes longer if you live farther away from Bangkok.  But why would the person wait until 3 days were left to do his extension when you could do it 30 or in some cases 45 days early.  Go to immigrations when they open.  I am sure they will be closed on Friday for the holiday so you lose that time.  As immigrations if you can copy your  bank book and use it now and get the 12 month statement to them when your the bank gets it.  I still don't understand why anyone would wait so late to do their extension.

Immigration in Hua Hin require 12 monthly statements specifically showing that the monthly income has come from overseas. They absolutely do not accept a bank book as substitute. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1