Vacationers on cruise ships will be allowed to disembark in Thailand, CCSA says

webfact

Doing the maths 60 boats each with 650 passengers = 39000 divided into 2.1b = would be 53,846 each . But it says revenue generated not spent by passengers so it takes into account Docking fees and logistics for the 60 boats. So I can see it easily being 2.1 Billion baht.

• Like 1

Cruise ships are COVID incubators. Clearly, the walls are beginning to crumble around the margins. Governments everywhere are beginning to prepare to let things go. Some governments, of course, will emerge from this slightly realigned in their political alliances, rationalizing the entry of only certain nationalities that fit either their totalitarian preferences or more democratically inclined ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

You added an extra place holder, your way would have Thailand estimating they would take in 20,800,000,000 Baht from 650 tourists, not the 2.1 Trillion the OP stated.  

Oops even I made a faux pas, its 2.1 Billion

So where are  these cruise ships sailing from given most of Europe is in the grip of this second wave?NO ONE from Australia and NZ can actually fly anywhere to access one of these fore mentioned cruise ships for starters..let alone then be allowed home afterwards.That probably leaves CHINA I'm guessing as the great savior in all of this..and what could possibly go wrong I wonder given these floating tin cans are nothing more than giant floating oversized  incubators.More a fabric of someone's imagination at TAT I'm guessing plucking at straws!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You raise a valid point are they private yachts or cruise ships.  I do not believe any cruise ship companies are currently operating.  8f the ships are still sailing it is only with very limited crew on them. However, I may be totally wrong and The billionaire yaht club might be on tour, but they sure as hell will not stay in an ASQ, and they definitely never stay for an extended period of time in one place.

Yes, you are totally wrong.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Oldie said:

"The Tourism and Sports Ministry has said some 60 boats carrying 650 foreigners have asked for permission to enter the country. They are expected to generate revenue of up to Bt2.1 billion." 

2.1 billion divided by 650 foreigners is 3.230.769 Baht per foreigner. Please correct me if this is wrong. If not the tourists might be billionaires only... The new very very high quality tourists are coming. 

It's not just what the passengers spend, it's total revenue from all sources. So add in food, fuel ( up to 2 million gallons for the bigger ships !), docking fees, etc.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MikeN said:

It's not just what the passengers spend, it's total revenue from all sources. So add in food, fuel ( up to 2 million gallons for the bigger ships !), docking fees, etc.

I understand. But it still doesn't fit. The passengers have to pay for all these costs in the end. And I don't know m(any) cruise ship holidays where you spend about 100.000 USD for a holiday. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So they expect that the 

So each of the 651 passengers are expected to spend over 3 million baht each while here in Thailand after there 14 day quarantine.  Wow such high fliers they are courting.  Not gonna happen I am afraid. Where are there cruise ships still sailing by the way?

Yes of course. The fist 1 milion they spend for quarantine, the second is by ripoff by hungry Thais and the third million is shopping in malls... can doooo !

Edited by P100

5 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

these are not princess/carnival cruise ships.  on average 10 foreigners (not passengers) per boat?  assume that includes the crew.  nope, they're counting on billionaires arriving aboard super yachts, doing their quarantine on board their own vessels.  i betcha they get to count sailing time since the last port as part of the quarantine period as well.

You may have a valid point...but have you ever seen one of these luxurious play things in Thai waters?  Little own 60!  

I've worked for the Caribbean Cruise Line. They never stay in any port for more than a day. Maybe they'll try a system where they drop the guests off, then continue cruising to other places, and come back after the guests have had their fill of LOS. And as I type this I realize there's no WAY they can do that. The scheduling would be a pure nightmare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sounds like the concept of going on a cruise has changed. on a cruise people used to stay on the boat, the boat visited various destinations where the passengers disembarked for a few hours. now they disembark for a few weeks? interesting business model.

but... who is going on cruises in a pandemic?

• Like 2

Which kind of cruise ship will wait 2 weeks in a pier without win money and paid tax to park on dock ? No one...

How long to cross ocean to go to a country full closed for foreigner ?

The first one who will went back to Thailand and know Thailand good to let money and live there is retiree, expatriates, family linked interested and some businessmen (which can really do business). People who already have a life in Thailand and are waiting to be able to come without loose all their life with an incredibly expensive gold jail for fear mind problem around a season flue virus.

Forget this other strange idea... they, again, are speaking to quick about something unreliable.

The real problem there is that no one can tell them factual true without scare about they would loose their face... so it can go for a long because they have to realize alone that it was stupid. Incredible, but true.

Edited by jerolamo
  • Like 1