Film Scouting Search: Beautiful Double Doors

Brightly

Hello all,

I’m looking to shoot a short video intro that features a backdrop of massive, carved/gilded/bejeweled or otherwise stunning double doors.  The perfect doors will reflect classic Thai or Lanna architecture, and do not need to be ancient.  In fact, I’m shying away from temples and sacred sites, and instead envisioning something adorning a local hotel, resort or public space.

Old or new, I’m looking for a rich, opulent, probably colorful entrance..

Can anyone recall seeing the “perfect Chiang Mai doors “ around town?

If so, please share!

Bonus points for pics if you have them!

Thanks to everyone in advance.  I appreciate your eagle eyes.

I don't think this is exactly what you are looking for, but there is a boutique hotel on Nmmen Soi 5 that has a door feature in their garden/front yard. The doors aren't attached to anything, but they are rather nice. Probably less than 50 meters away from Nimmen,, but I don't remember the name of the place. It is a single storey structure, I believe.  After that, walk around the Nimmen area for other options.

RichCor,

I did indeed do the Google image search last night, and there was one photo that truly caught my eye...

But there was no location info to be had.  Boo!

But thank you for your input, R.C.. Much appreciated.

I know my perfect doors exist in more than one location, so “townies:” please keep your eyes peeled!

Lunch is on me for the winning entry!

Boycie,

Good idea to set our comrades on a scavenger hunt for the elusive doorway!

But taking second look at my fancied Google image, it lacks a certain symmetry I need.  So my quest continues.

But beyond the search for the perfect door....

We’re all ultimately here on TV to unselfishly support, uplift, inspire and inform our fellow expats, yes?

Nah, you’re right: It’s the free lunches...

That and our daily doses of snipe and snark...!

(Not including you, Boycie, or anyone on this thread - yet!  

You’ve each been lovely).

So, still lookin’ for that door...

Let the games begin!

• Like 1

I walked around many parts of Chiang Mai, but of opulent double doors I remember naught.

On 10/22/2020 at 9:46 AM, Brightly said:

The perfect doors will reflect classic Thai or Lanna architecture,

One would imagine that such would be found more easily outside Chiang Mai where the only nice buildings are temples.

13 minutes ago, rebo said:

Along the road from Ban Thawai entrance to Hang Dong (#2001), several big wood working factories/shops, both sides.

Will take you probably several hours but I think at the end you may be successful.

Narrow road that Hang Dong Highway 2001.

Link to Google Maps Street View

https://www.google.com/maps/@18.6882374,98.9271023,3a,90y,21.06h,83.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srQJ8q-SPi0DsBwUzdyT2AQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

...and what is it with people and the wooden indians (feather, not dot, native americans)??

https://www.google.com/maps/@18.6884773,98.9303307,3a,77.7y,151.82h,92.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1bDG7enMKWfhTL8JFhhpgA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

...and one could get very lost walking through the Baan Tawai furniture and wood carving village

RichCor,

I think you might just be onto something with the woodworking factories!

I will let you know!

The only drawback might be framing the right doors correctly, as they are likely tightly spaced together; what’s more, the doors must be filmed whilst opening.

But this is the BEST lead I’ve gotten thus far!

And I haven’t forgotten about lunch (!)

Thanks.

(And I’m still open to suggestions!)

I googled "beautiful doors in Bangkok" and got this Pinterest page:  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/466685580108787431/

And "beautiful doors in Chiang Mai"   https://www.pinterest.com/pin/413486809529551394/

Also:  https://www.pinterest.com/averythai/thailand-door-inspiration/

Might help.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Brightly said:
2 hours ago, rebo said:

Along the road from Ban Thawai entrance to Hang Dong (#2001), several big wood working factories/shops, both sides.  Will take you probably several hours but I think at the end you may be successful.

I think you might just be onto something with the woodworking factories!

I will let you know!

The suggestion was Rebo's (the poster above mine). 

I'm just 'that guy' that keeps posting unwanted google search, google map search, and google image search results across the forum.  ????

Edited by RichCor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rebo,

I read your post in reverse order from RichCor’s, so am late in thanking your for the *original* super tip on the woodworking factories.  Thank you.

If this pans out, I might be buying two lunches(!)

And I love the idea, as RichCor suggested, of getting lost while “walking” in Ban Thawai. However, as a wheelchair user that involves all the expected challenges...

BUT I am hale and hearty and have capable friends to help, and in the words of the immortal Chet Baker, I embrace the sentiment of “Let’s get lost.”

For any of you still mulling over additional suggestions, my ideal double doors would be attached to an edifice and open INWARDS.

I’m planning a video tight shot with the camera then panning back to reveal the doors opening.

I’m enjoying and appreciating all the feedback I’m receiving! 

Especially as I am in a w/c, it’s harder for me to just to head out on random searches.  Assisting me home in on my target helps more than you might realize.

Thanks to everyone who’s written so far!

• Thanks 2