Pope says same-sex couples should be covered by civil union laws

webfact

5 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Silly that anyone cares what this man has to say about anything. Who cares?

It’s a big deal because until now the church has been against it big time. A lot of religious people are holding the Bible against gays in quite a lot of countries. Especially in Asia and Latin America, but finally a pope came to his senses and so hopefully the religious discrimination against gays will come to an end in the near future! 

• Haha 1

Not a Catholic (thank god) so I don't really care but to me this is kind of like going from being banned from the bus to being allowed to the back of the bus and gay people are now expected to be like thank you so much Mr. Pope for acknowledging that we're human beings. 

Now I will don my trusty flak jacket.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not a Catholic (thank god) so I don't really care but to me this is kind of like going from being banned from the bus to being allowed to the back of the bus and gay people are now expected to be like thank you so much Mr. Pope for acknowledging that we're human beings. 

Now I will don my trusty flak jacket.

This is actually a fairly big move, and a positive one, on the part of the Catholic Church.   Considering the attitude in many of the predominantly Catholic countries, it may prevent a fair amount of discrimination and even deaths of gays.   

I'll take riding in the back of the bus for the time being.   Baby steps are better than no steps.   

I don't agree , First comes the priest imop! I hope he  considers his brethren ,they've been shut off for centuries !

The roots of celibacy requirements go back to Jesus Christ: According to the Bible, he was an unmarried virgin. In the Bible, Jesus is often likened to a bridegroom whose bride is the Church. ... Because of this practice, the Church formally banned the practice of priests marrying about 1,000 years ago, Shea said".

https://www.livescience.com/39898-why-catholic-priests-cant-marry.html#:~:text=The roots of celibacy requirements,whose bride is the Church.&text=Because of this practice%2C the,1%2C000 years ago%2C Shea said.

Edited by riclag

7 hours ago, Credo said:

This is actually a fairly big move, and a positive one, on the part of the Catholic Church.   Considering the attitude in many of the predominantly Catholic countries, it may prevent a fair amount of discrimination and even deaths of gays.   

I'll take riding in the back of the bus for the time being.   Baby steps are better than no steps.   

It may indeed be a positive move but it really isn't as big a move as it may superficially appear. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/10/22/pope-francis-same-sex-unions/

Pope Francis’s position on same-sex unions is more conservative than it seems

Ultimately, he still believes that social life should be organized along heteronormative lines.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It may indeed be a positive move but it really isn't as big a move as it may superficially appear. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/10/22/pope-francis-same-sex-unions/

Pope Francis’s position on same-sex unions is more conservative than it seems

Ultimately, he still believes that social life should be organized along heteronormative lines.

Well, in the past 3 years, we've seen the needle on gay rights move mostly in the wrong direction and in the past year, we've had very little good news on anything.   So, I am going to give this a positive in rather negative time.   

On 10/22/2020 at 10:11 AM, Proboscis said:

Well, not quite. They have moved from the late middle ages into the twentieth century by allowing civil union but not marriage. Civil union does not necessarily allow all the rights of marriage. It is a bit like the catholic church allowing for the control of fertility (through the rhythm method) but the banning of the use of contraceptives, including condoms.

But I suppose we should look on the bright side. The pope is far more liberal than the latest candidate for the USA supreme court.

Exactly! I was wondering if the Pope's announcement would influence Mrs. Bennett's views on this issue.

On 10/22/2020 at 10:52 AM, herfiehandbag said:

Two points, from the Catholic perspective.

The Pope said that gay couples  and any children, however conceived, should be free (and protected) to enjoy a family life, as they are all "children of God". Good, but that is not the same as endorsing same sex marriage, as marriage is, in Catholic belief, a sacrement gifted by God, and therefore cannot be amended or qualified by man.

Secondly, he is a Jesuit , and you never quite know what a J is going to do next!

Yes ....all children of god ... but unless baptised, will go to hell, or has the Pope softened on this one as well.

5 hours ago, peterpop said:

Yes ....all children of god ... but unless baptised, will go to hell, or has the Pope softened on this one as well.

I don't want to get dragged into theological arguments, but it is my impression that eternal damnation for the non baptised is a "hard line Protestant doctrine" rather than a Catholic one. It certainly does not stay in my memory from my childhood studies of the Catechism. I am comforted by Johns reporting of Our Lords words 'In my Fathers House there are many rooms".

I'm also reminded of the story about the atheist, who was surprised to find himself in heaven. The archangel showing him around took him to a high point. "Of course, we have everyone here, look over there, those minarets, that is where the Muslims are, over there, those golden roofs, that is the Buddhists, down there, those people tilling the fields and clutching bibles, they are the protestants."

"Who are behind that high wall?"

"Oh those are the Catholics, we don't want to disappoint them, you see they think they are the only people here!"

• Like 1