Soi Dog pursue successful case of pet abandonment against Phuket expat

webfact

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why does it cost so much?

Certainly not food costs, my 2 dogs are well fed, chicken bone mince/ rice/ complete  dog food.

Costs me around 30 baht per day for 2 dogs.

So how many staff employed? What are they paid ?

Or is the management of the shelter enjoying a very good lifestyle?

A lot of volunteers get rent free accommodation +

• Like 2

On 10/22/2020 at 8:16 AM, canopus1969 said:

So you think it's ok just to take your pets out and dump them once you have had enough of them ?

Of course not. But what if you come into a situation that you can't have the pet anymore. What options do you have here in Thailand? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/22/2020 at 9:40 AM, johng said:

586866714_WhosDog.jpg.c24c09d2ce9d751e1fc76b6d0cbc905f.jpg

Don't matter whose dog is that. What matter is a guy from civilized country abandons his pet, my pets are my family members, I can't abandon my child. So stop critizise Thais about what they do or what they dont do. 

• Like 2

On 10/22/2020 at 7:31 AM, colinneil said:

That is a laughable comment, dogs are abandoned here almost daily, nothing is ever done to the owners, except of course if they expats.

Or, they are reported by any member of the public, as Mr. Dalley reminds us. 

On 10/22/2020 at 10:22 AM, colinneil said:

LoWhy does it cost so much?

Certainly not food costs, my 2 dogs are well fed, chicken bone mince/ rice/ complete  dog food.

Do your math again. At your quoted rate a dog cost  at least ~500/month in food, leaving 2200/m/dog for care including watering, walking, washing, cleaning pens & poop, dispensing food, possibly medicine, etc. Obviously the staff isn't paid much at ~70/day/dog for labor and rent, electric, utilities, etc. Nobody is getting very rich very fast at that rate. 

I'm guessing that, like many animal shelters there is a lot of time donated by compassionate volunteers. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Phuket Ex pat got more than he bargained for when he took the decision to abandon his pet dog ‘Jonney Cash’ in a heavy storm on the road outside Soi Dog Foundation’s shelter. 

This person is soooooooooo dumb, they can't even spell "Johnny Cash" correctly. ????

Isn't that the money you need to buy a condom?   555

23 hours ago, hotchilli said:

As so many other things are and over-looked in Thailand.

Good point. Better to just abolish all laws that cannot be enforced 100%.

So obvious when you think about it for more than a second. The added benefit is that the crime rate would instantly drop to zero and the police force, jails, and courts could be dissolved. No more brown envelopes. No reason to burden visitors with that pesky immigration thing either as it's not currently totally enforced either. That would leave copious funding for dog shelters. Problem solved. 

Brilliant! This is the kind of mind-boggling progressive thinking that could sweep the world. 

On 10/22/2020 at 3:13 PM, Crusader said:

Seems like another case of, "don't do what I do, do what I say".  Never heard of any Thais being prosecuted for doing the same, but then they just dump their dogs anywhere.

Of course if you haven't heard of it then it must never have happened. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/22/2020 at 5:07 AM, Wuvu2 said:

"considers it costs on average 2,700 THB per month to keep a dog at the shelter"   Say what???   What's the overhead at Soi Dog Foundation?

There are many Thai families that don't enjoy an income of 2,700 per person per month! 

I think the reporter got that wrong. Their website says 27 USD a month

On 10/22/2020 at 3:22 AM, colinneil said:

Why does it cost so much?

Premises, medical equipment, vets and other staff on payroll, awareness programs, construction of new buildings, food, medications, cars (they are mobile and drive around all of Phuket to pick up wounded/sick dogs). All of that costs money. And they are not a small organization anymore. As anyone who has run a company to a certain size knows the overhead will grow surprisingly. Now suddenly you need a full time accountant, HR, pay for lawyers etc etc. There are hundreds of people involved. It's not a small shack taking care of a few dozen dogs. We are talking thousands and thousands of dogs (plus cats) each year.

You can see their financials in their annual report btw https://pub.soidog.org/end-of-year-reports/End of Year Report 2019.pdf Their financials get audited.

I, for one, am very glad that they exist. They are the only one that I know of that's seriously tackling the sad soi dog situation. I've been to their place (to get my dog vaccinated) and seen all the care they provide for dogs in really dire situations. Why suspect always nefarious motives behind everything? Don't be so cynical.

• Sad 1

"I think the reporter got that wrong. Their website says 27 USD a month"

Maybe not. Soi Dog hit the bonanza with the "stop the dog meat trade" fundraising program. According to Guidstar.org SoiDog USA took in over $USD 6Million last year just in USA donations and have an equally active fundraising program in Europe. I have not seen any financial info in their annual reports. I was a donor - but would like a bit more transparency about where the money goes ????

22 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

"I think the reporter got that wrong. Their website says 27 USD a month"

Maybe not. Soi Dog hit the bonanza with the "stop the dog meat trade" fundraising program. According to Guidstar.org SoiDog USA took in over $USD 6Million last year just in USA donations and have an equally active fundraising program in Europe. I have not seen any financial info in their annual reports. I was a donor - but would like a bit more transparency about where the money goes ????

Soi Dog does have a financial paragraph in their annual statement and they have an accountant auditing their statements. In 2019 they had a annual income of about $ 11 million and running expenditures of about $ 10 million. What people don't know is that their program goes far further than only sheltering dogs and cats. They have an educational program for schools. They give aid to other, even government runned shelters. They have mobile rescue teams, et cetera. Looking at their animal hospital, that's state of the art. I'm sure all the donations are well spend!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Would seem Soi Dog is a organization just trying to bleed money from the gullible. 

Don't they look after unwanted dogs? Or they only claim to look after dogs they have rescued from mythical places. Or are they simply annoyed that the guy did it after hours. He left the dog in a place he thought the dog would get looked after but oh no... I'm sure a dog left outside Battersea Dogs' Home would get well looked after and the owner would not be hounded by the organization and the law.

I suspect the action is to stop others doing this and then maybe they would actually have to look after stray or unwanted dogs.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Would seem Soi Dog is a organization just trying to bleed money from the gullible. 

Don't they look after unwanted dogs? Or they only claim to look after dogs they have rescued from mythical places. Or are they simply annoyed that the guy did it after hours. He left the dog in a place he thought the dog would get looked after but oh no... I'm sure a dog left outside Battersea Dogs' Home would get well looked after and the owner would not be hounded by the organization and the law.

I suspect the action is to stop others doing this and then maybe they would actually have to look after stray or unwanted dogs.

Neal, they do look after unwanted dogs BUT what they are against is someone dropping a dog off nearby in rain next to a busy and fast public street where it's extremely dangerous for the dog because he will try to run after the owners car as explained in the article. Wouldn't be the first dog that gets smashed to bits. And Soi Dog know all too well because they are the ones then trying to help wounded dogs. Yes the action is to hopefully stop others from doings this because it's not the right thing to do.

And to the other people in the thread bashing "oh only against farang, what about Thai!"... Soi Dog is run by farangs you numbnuts!

What I do would like to see is a complete breakdown of their finances, much more detailed than what the annual report shows because by now they grew so big that I think it's warranted and to instill confidence in people who are thinking about donating that their funds wont end up in a place they wouldn't want. In fact I think every charity should be required to do so by law. It's the main reason I don't contribute financially but rather do the right thing in my life (take good care of my dog and don't inrease the stray dog problem).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

they are against is someone dropping a dog off nearby in rain next to a busy and fast public street where it's extremely dangerous for the dog because he will try to run after the owners car as explained in the article.

This I understand but litigation? This smacks of self righteousness, which is not something one would expect from a charitable organization, run by charitable people. A simple tut-tut or tsk-tsk would have sufficed. 

This whole litigation thing stinks of social media and self promotion rather than the actual care of animals.

Soi Dogs might currently be a farang organization But wait  until some enterprising local reads about the 10M annual income! 

Sometimes it is better to keep one's head down and avoid publicity.

19 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

This I understand but litigation? This smacks of self righteousness, which is not something one would expect from a charitable organization, run by charitable people. A simple tut-tut or tsk-tsk would have sufficed. 

This whole litigation thing stinks of social media and self promotion rather than the actual care of animals.

Soi Dogs might currently be a farang organization But wait  until some enterprising local reads about the 10M annual income! 

Sometimes it is better to keep one's head down and avoid publicity.

I get where you are coming from. But not sure how realistic a tsk-tsk is given that they had to rely on the police to find out who that person was. At that point you already started the process. They can't stop it easily anymore because it's not "them against him". It's him against the law so there is no way to settle. They probably also know that the fine is pretty low and I can also totally see them having tried many-a-tsk-tsk before which didn't achieve much. After all it still happens. They have a strong stance that such behaviour is not ok and the law agrees.

It's like a charity that helps with the litter problem by going around and cleaning up the side of the road, saw someone littering and reported them to the police. I would suspect not many people would see an issue with that.

I don't think they run a risk of being taken over by a local. Not after being endorsed royally and having entities in a few other countries. But I do think the numbers are pretty big and therefor the risk that someone tries to etract profit for themselves is very very real. Only thorough transparency can combat that and that's currently missing.

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Don't they have doorbells in Ireland? Couldn't he knock on the door instead of throwing the dog out in front of their door without leaving any notice and drive away as fast as possible? Afraid it would cost him money? Why blaming Soi Dogs for somebody else breaking the law? And all you can do is complaining about al these barking soi dogs,  while your fellow countrymen are throwing them on the streets when they start to cost real money! What a joke!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eisfeld said:

I get where you are coming from. But not sure how realistic a tsk-tsk is given that they had to rely on the police to find out who that person was. At that point you already started the process. They can't stop it easily anymore because it's not "them against him". It's him against the law so there is no way to settle. They probably also know that the fine is pretty low and I can also totally see them having tried many-a-tsk-tsk before which didn't achieve much. After all it still happens. They have a strong stance that such behaviour is not ok and the law agrees.

It's like a charity that helps with the litter problem by going around and cleaning up the side of the road, saw someone littering and reported them to the police. I would suspect not many people would see an issue with that.

I don't think they run a risk of being taken over by a local. Not after being endorsed royally and having entities in a few other countries. But I do think the numbers are pretty big and therefor the risk that someone tries to etract profit for themselves is very very real. Only thorough transparency can combat that and that's currently missing.

Better have a look at their site. Transparency isn't missing. They produce annual and audited statements. Why you people all keep shouting nonsense. To much trouble to investigate a bit?

On 10/23/2020 at 4:10 PM, sencelebi said:

Can you abandon your child , or can you say that you came into situation that you can't have the child anymore to take care? can you abandon your pet in your own country and say you can't  have it anymore?

Not in their own country, but in Thailand they suddenly think it's no problem!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hilfinad said:

Better have a look at their site. Transparency isn't missing. They produce annual and audited statements. Why you people all keep shouting nonsense. To much trouble to investigate a bit?

I have read the annual review but there is only a very high level breakdown, not much detail. The general public cannot see the audited statements. In fact I am the one to mention that they write a financial overview in their annual report that I also linked to right in this topic! I also mentioned the audited statements so it's unclear to me why you'd tell me that. It's definitely a good thing that they publish these figures. I just personally think there can be done more. I don't know why you are so aggressively barking at me, I was defending the Soi Dog Foundation ????

54 minutes ago, hilfinad said:

Why blaming Soi Dogs for somebody else breaking the law?

What law did he break?

54 minutes ago, hilfinad said:

And all you can do is complaining about al these barking soi dogs

I have never complained about barking dogs who live on the street. They are God's creatures as well. OK if you are Buddhist you may believe they were bad people in a previous life but they also live here.

From what I can glean from this news story. Soi Dogs does not actually want any dogs. They would actually be happier without dogs as long as supporters pay 10M a year.

As I intimated earlier a real animal charity would be more interested in the welfare of the animal than the antics of the previous owner.

• Haha 1