Soi Dog pursue successful case of pet abandonment against Phuket expat

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is a laughable comment, dogs are abandoned here almost daily, nothing is ever done to the owners, except of course if they expats.

Embarrassed that an Irish guy did this. I can sort of understand why Thais do it, most have no idea how to handle a dog (or, indeed, most aspects of life), but I'd expect more of a fellow Irishman.

Because Thais care so much about their animals right ? ... give me a break...

Posted Images

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why does it cost so much?

Certainly not food costs, my 2 dogs are well fed, chicken bone mince/ rice/ complete  dog food.

Costs me around 30 baht per day for 2 dogs.

So how many staff employed? What are they paid ?

Or is the management of the shelter enjoying a very good lifestyle?

A lot of volunteers get rent free accommodation +

• Like 2
On 10/22/2020 at 8:16 AM, canopus1969 said:

So you think it's ok just to take your pets out and dump them once you have had enough of them ?

Of course not. But what if you come into a situation that you can't have the pet anymore. What options do you have here in Thailand? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
On 10/22/2020 at 9:40 AM, johng said:

586866714_WhosDog.jpg.c24c09d2ce9d751e1fc76b6d0cbc905f.jpg

Don't matter whose dog is that. What matter is a guy from civilized country abandons his pet, my pets are my family members, I can't abandon my child. So stop critizise Thais about what they do or what they dont do. 

• Like 2
On 10/22/2020 at 7:31 AM, colinneil said:

That is a laughable comment, dogs are abandoned here almost daily, nothing is ever done to the owners, except of course if they expats.

Or, they are reported by any member of the public, as Mr. Dalley reminds us. 

On 10/22/2020 at 10:22 AM, colinneil said:

LoWhy does it cost so much?

Certainly not food costs, my 2 dogs are well fed, chicken bone mince/ rice/ complete  dog food.

Do your math again. At your quoted rate a dog cost  at least ~500/month in food, leaving 2200/m/dog for care including watering, walking, washing, cleaning pens & poop, dispensing food, possibly medicine, etc. Obviously the staff isn't paid much at ~70/day/dog for labor and rent, electric, utilities, etc. Nobody is getting very rich very fast at that rate. 

I'm guessing that, like many animal shelters there is a lot of time donated by compassionate volunteers. 

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Oldie said:

Of course not. But what if you come into a situation that you can't have the pet anymore. What options do you have here in Thailand? 

Same option you have anywhere. Act responsibly. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Phuket Ex pat got more than he bargained for when he took the decision to abandon his pet dog ‘Jonney Cash’ in a heavy storm on the road outside Soi Dog Foundation’s shelter. 

This person is soooooooooo dumb, they can't even spell "Johnny Cash" correctly. 🤭

Isn't that the money you need to buy a condom?   555

23 hours ago, hotchilli said:

As so many other things are and over-looked in Thailand.

Good point. Better to just abolish all laws that cannot be enforced 100%.

So obvious when you think about it for more than a second. The added benefit is that the crime rate would instantly drop to zero and the police force, jails, and courts could be dissolved. No more brown envelopes. No reason to burden visitors with that pesky immigration thing either as it's not currently totally enforced either. That would leave copious funding for dog shelters. Problem solved. 

Brilliant! This is the kind of mind-boggling progressive thinking that could sweep the world. 

On 10/22/2020 at 3:13 PM, Crusader said:

Seems like another case of, "don't do what I do, do what I say".  Never heard of any Thais being prosecuted for doing the same, but then they just dump their dogs anywhere.

Of course if you haven't heard of it then it must never have happened. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 10/22/2020 at 5:07 AM, Wuvu2 said:

"considers it costs on average 2,700 THB per month to keep a dog at the shelter"   Say what???   What's the overhead at Soi Dog Foundation?

There are many Thai families that don't enjoy an income of 2,700 per person per month! 

I think the reporter got that wrong. Their website says 27 USD a month

On 10/22/2020 at 3:22 AM, colinneil said:

Why does it cost so much?

Premises, medical equipment, vets and other staff on payroll, awareness programs, construction of new buildings, food, medications, cars (they are mobile and drive around all of Phuket to pick up wounded/sick dogs). All of that costs money. And they are not a small organization anymore. As anyone who has run a company to a certain size knows the overhead will grow surprisingly. Now suddenly you need a full time accountant, HR, pay for lawyers etc etc. There are hundreds of people involved. It's not a small shack taking care of a few dozen dogs. We are talking thousands and thousands of dogs (plus cats) each year.

You can see their financials in their annual report btw https://pub.soidog.org/end-of-year-reports/End of Year Report 2019.pdf Their financials get audited.

I, for one, am very glad that they exist. They are the only one that I know of that's seriously tackling the sad soi dog situation. I've been to their place (to get my dog vaccinated) and seen all the care they provide for dogs in really dire situations. Why suspect always nefarious motives behind everything? Don't be so cynical.

• Sad 1