Soi Dog pursue successful case of pet abandonment against Phuket expat

webfact

8 hours ago, hilfinad said:

The problem would be far bigger without organizations like Soi Dog! And if you think you can control this by having laws: America has animal abuse laws end still they have an estimate of 4 million+ stray dogs roaming the streets! Houston alone has about 1 million stray dogs! 

And yet, for a big chunk of $1,000, you can order a dog from the SDF to be put on an airplane and adopted to the USA.  Or any one of a dozen other countries that already have their own stray dog problem.  Seems like that money could be better spent caring for dogs in situ, as opposed to making a Thai problem into someone else's problem.

I'm not against the SDF, and won't claim that I've analyzed their financials.  But I don't understand how their international adoptions are anything besides a very expensive way to shift a problem from one country to another.  Wouldn't it be better to tell Americans (or Canadians or... or... ) to go to the local pound and adopt one of their own?  Sure would be a better allocation of $$$ resources...  Unless, of course, efficient and economical solutions aren't the objective.

And I'm living in Houston (currently a Covid refugee) and have never been accosted by stray dogs like I was in Thailand.  Not once in 20+ years of living here on and off since 1978.  Unlike every day of my life in BKK and around Thailand.

Edited by impulse

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Wouldn't it be better to tell Americans (or Canadians or... or... ) to go to the local pound and adopt one of their own?  Sure would be a better allocation of $$$ resources...  Unless, of course, efficient and economical solutions aren't the objective.

Agree! I don't understand that either, as i don't understand people buying dogs in Thailand while most villages and cities have a over-population of street dogs. I know first time dog owners who rather start with Rottweilers, German Shepherds and Husky's; not the easiest dogs to handle.  Most of them end up in troubles and the dog ends up on the street or, when he;s lucky, in a shelter.

I know from sources of the SPCA that Houston has 1 million stray dogs. Probably (and hopefully) most of them are in shelters. Talking about costs: Adopting a dog from a shelter in America will cost you an average of $400-$500 too (adoption fee/spay or neuter/vaccination).

8 hours ago, eisfeld said:

I don't know why you are so aggressively barking at me, I was defending the Soi Dog Foundation

Sorry about that! I just don't understand why a lot of people here keep bashing Soi Dog. Probably never been there and for sure they don't know what Soi Dog is doing. It's not just a shelter! It's a well runned organization with a state of the art (in Thailand) hospital, an educational program and they have a great marketing team that brings in a lot of money. Money they need! Probably it's all jealousy.

• Like 1