Glue advice

HashBrownHarry

56 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I thought about screws but was concerned about it cracking?

Your biggest risk is when drilling the sign. You could get the sign maker to drill it or use an old, blunt, drill, new drills tend to catch and wind through, cracking the sign on the way.

When you do up the screws don't tighten them fully, just enough to stop things moving in the breeze.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Your biggest risk is when drilling the sign. You could get the sign maker to drill it or use an old, blunt, drill, new drills tend to catch and wind through, cracking the sign on the way.

When you do up the screws don't tighten them fully, just enough to stop things moving in the breeze.

That's why i never drilled it, all the reasons you mention.

It's on with 3M, i'll see how that pans out.

A mate's had a sign on for years like this, so he tells me,.....

• Like 1

Wood is a bit tricky, because it is porous. Also depends on density and how well it is seasoned.

I'd be inclined to use either a two-part epoxy or cyanoacrylate, also known as superglue. Straight acrylic and silicone adhesives are weaker.

The adhesion improves as the interstitial layer between the two surfaces decreases. As an adhesion lecturer once told a class I was attending, thin is in.

The more pressure that can be applied to bond the two surfaces together, the better the result will be in terms of adhesion.

Roughening both surfaces sometimes helps.

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I've used 3M double sided tape in the mean time to see how that pans out.

The red extra strong waterproof tape should be OK.

Have had house numbers stuck on varnished wood for over 3 years now and still holding.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Wood is a bit tricky, because it is porous. Also depends on density and how well it is seasoned.

I'd be inclined to use either a two-part epoxy or cyanoacrylate, also known as superglue. Straight acrylic and silicone adhesives are weaker.

The adhesion improves as the interstitial layer between the two surfaces decreases. As an adhesion lecturer once told a class I was attending, thin is in.

The more pressure that can be applied to bond the two surfaces together, the better the result will be in terms of adhesion.

Roughening both surfaces sometimes helps.

I'm only putting up a sign, this sounds way over thought.

Mods - you can close this, thanks to all for the input, i have my answer.