Thailand lifts emergency measures aimed at stopping protests

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wonder what the catch is, there's always a catch.  

They were 100% army in yellow shirts last night at govt house, the rest are civil servants made to turn out and a few old brainwashed die hards. Very few of the former middle class yellows for reasons

Well for once Prayut has done something sensible, had he left the emergency measures in place, it would have lead to major unrest and probably violence.

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Artisi said:

So, nobody is travelling here anyway..... 

I am not dumb I know that but how much of a chance is there of even a minor increase in travellers if the additional hurdle of a travel advisory is in place. Even  though the Emergency Decree was lifted today the protests won't stop. 

Edited by JusticeGB
Typo
9 hours ago, donnacha said:

Impressive kids too. Whoever came up with these techniques is a genius. PR-aware and disciplined. If they end up hurting these kids world opinion will be outraged.

Completely mistranslated in the video. Its not "I hear too" , its ai hia Tuu. Roughly translated as "F*** off Prayout.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, donnacha said:

Yeah, I really love that one too. After watching the Thai soul under the boot for so long, I find much of the protest symbolism very moving.

Here's a terrific one I came across today, quite soon after having a discussion in which a friend observed that is was strange how the monks, after being so prominent in the Myanmar mass protests a few years back, are apparently avoiding the Thai protests. The HDR color range really makes this solitary monk's shawl all the more poignant:

bkk-protest-monk.jpeg.bc4b57ff98360d16a7f8f759f9d2a209.jpeg

Oh, is the word Deleted banned? That's amazing.

Interestingly, this emoji is still permitted: 👑

I noticed that the other day when I quoted the name of a company with that 4 letter word and it deleted it so yes

• Like 1

I'm still amazed at how much leniency they have allowed, almost open discussion about constitutional issues affected the institution.

It does make me wonder if the elite/military may be re-addressing that fundamental tenant of how they retain power. That relationship has been a fundamental of the whole power structure for decades. But you would be an idiot not to recognize that the current institution doesn't quite provide the reverence that the previous one did

They will do whatever it takes to hold on to power, so it'll be interesting to see who gets jettisoned, or whether they go down the full repressive road

• Like 2
2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

They will do whatever it takes to hold on to power, so it'll be interesting to see who gets jettisoned, or whether they go down the full repressive road

To be honest, I think everyone realises the truth. You'd have to be very, very, stupid not to realise why the status quo is breaking down. Like I've said before, a compromise is needed. Nobody wants an Arab Spring situation, where anarchy rules. A twist there, a tweak here, and happy land is restored. Both sides, the patricians and the plebs, are gonna have to give something. This one way road pursued so far by the powers that be is going nowhere.

• Like 2
On 10/22/2020 at 1:03 PM, Mavideol said:

international community was making not so friendly comments about his (no democratic) actions

Doubt it .

If the big boss , will loose any sleep over the comments , of the International community ..

On 10/22/2020 at 5:07 PM, Mavideol said:

maybe not, I am going with @Crossy comment, there's a catch 22 somewhere, they always have a catch 22

And it probably involves a .22, .38, .45 and the metric  equivalent 

Edited by Reigntax
  • Haha 1

Countless coups, constitutions like mayflies. The peasants just don't stand a chance. Let's hope they one day do what the French civilians did in 1789.

I sometimes wish the Burmese had finished the job.

Maybe déjà vu, but with no indication of how the current protests will likely soon pan out, it brought to mind a novel I had to read for English Lit at school many years ago.  Maybe we are heading for an Orwellian conclusion? - the plot summary of Animal Farm on Wiki bears a scary parallel to the current escalation of rebellion in Thailand.  If you've read the book, it's not difficult to put names of the book's characters to those involved in the current strife in Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Farm#Plot_summary

Civil war or compromise? These guys need to get their act together, and fast. I'm sure one or two elite units can hold the masses back for a while, but long term, it ain't gonna happen baby.