Position of new immigration minister regards foreigners living in Thailand on ret visas .

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

Do you think this phenomenon whereby previously poor uneducated and - crucially -  deferential people get ideas above their station is welcome or repellent to the Bangkok establishment who decide on policy?

Poorly educated compared to whom?

I only see rich people who bought their way through and copied every exam.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 9:27 AM, Lacessit said:

I wasn't aware of that, a friend of mine was asked for a copy of his passport at a hotel up here. Or was that just to make sure he did not leave without paying?

According to Thai law the 'owner' of a place where a foreigner is staying, is required to notify the local IO within 24 hours of the arrival of that foreigner.

That's why as good as all Hotels and guesthouses ask for your passport on check-in, as they need the passport-number and TM-6 entry/departure card-number to fill in that required TM-30.

5 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Simply a matter of keeping them polished my friend, and I have somebody that is highly skilled at that fortunately.????

Besides that it makes for interesting pillow talk. Some ladies like scars too. Everybody is kinky, some just haven't found their kink yet!

Touche.  Well played.

On 10/22/2020 at 3:10 PM, RubbaJohnny said:

You do understand immigration is an internal matter while visas are issued by MFA.

In practice the application of the law seems to be interpreted very widely depending on the office person r mod of the day.While this is unsatisfactory for planning nobody is obliged to live here except those in prison.To be fair to Thailand teh requirments are far easier than many countires and some are almost impossible to live in without very substantial cash and language skills.

Most of us would appreciate consistent rules applied equally but don expect that any time soon.Depending on your age the paperwork and low cash threshold becomes less significant the access and quality cost of healthcare becomes more of an issue.

Speak for yourself about consistency..or move to Switzerland.  You DO NOT SPEAK FOR US.Thatis just presumptuous 

13 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

According to Thai law the 'owner' of a place where a foreigner is staying, is required to notify the local IO within 24 hours of the arrival of that foreigner.

That's why as good as all Hotels and guesthouses ask for your passport on check-in, as they need the passport-number and TM-6 entry/departure card-number to fill in that required TM-30.

It may be the law, but I have stayed with my girlfriend at hotels on numerous occasions and the only ID required was hers. Once, I offered my passport and the desk clerk.pointed at her and smiled.I appreciate a healthy disdain for stupid laws.

52 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

It may be the law, but I have stayed with my girlfriend at hotels on numerous occasions and the only ID required was hers. Once, I offered my passport and the desk clerk.pointed at her and smiled.I appreciate a healthy disdain for stupid laws.

Yes, happened to me also many times, but also stayed at many hotels where they insisted on me providing my passport at check-in, and would not accept my girlfriends thai ID-card. 

But it's no matter of concern for me if they are fine with my girlfriends thai ID-card and don't ask for my passport (and hence they will not be able to make a TM-30 of me staying there).  It is the Hotel/Guesthouse that is then not complying with the law and for which they can be fined.

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

Yes me too as I walk through the jammed open fire doors, the missing hydrants and defective smoke detectors. I guess they are told to apply TM30 reporting to foreigners checking in, and it is less work to check in the Thai person instead. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 2:07 PM, BritManToo said:

Cambodia, Vietnam, The Philippines all way way easier.

What Asian countries do you know where the requirements are harder?

Back to the OP,

CM Immigration has become easier the past few months, (I can't speak for other offices) what it'll be like after the amnesty ends, and when they allow Chinese back in is anyone's guess.

Al Kuweit,Russia Israel Uzbekistan Bhutan and Japan of those I have visited , it is also quite hard in China to retire if not married to a citizen