Replaces slashes / with hypens in my Thai address?

Hal65

I'm coming on 7 years here and when mail from the US doesn't make it, I've traced the problem to the Thai street address which has a slash. Like 123/45.

Sometimes a company will not be able to retain a record of the slash. so they'll send to 12345 or 123 45 which isn't good enough. The mail gets lost, returned if I'm lucky.

I've tried seting the street address with spaces: 123 / 45. That has helped but not fully

I think hyphens may be a better fit. 123 - 45.

Question is, is the Thai post office able to parse 123 - 45 to be 123 / 45? Anyone know?

10 minutes ago, elwood said:

Write it as 123 Moo 45. Moo means group.

Never had a problem in 25 years.

My address is 123/65 Moo 3.

So I'm not sure that the 45 in the op's address is Moo 45.

I'm thinking that 45 is the village or estate number - not sure at all.

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

My address is 123/65 Moo 3.

So I'm not sure that the 45 in the op's address is Moo 45.

Whoops, you've got me there????

I hope it is his Moo, at least his problem will be solved!

9 minutes ago, elwood said:

Write it as 123 Moo 45. Moo means group.

Never had a problem in 25 years.

a little confused here as mine is 143/44 Moo 5 meaning street house number 143 , apartment number 44 and Moo 5.... how can he write moo 45, I do type 143-44 Moo5 and didn't had any problem

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

a little confused here as mine is 143/44 Moo 5 meaning street house number 143 , apartment number 44 and Moo 5.... how can he write moo 45, I do type 143-44 Moo5 and didn't had any problem

I'm confused also now - seems I replied before pausing to think.

When the OP returns we can find out.

From Wikipedia: Thai Addressing System

Plot, house and village

Main article: Muban

Thai muban (หมู่บ้าน) correspond only loosely to actual settlements, which may well have separate names, but these are not used for addresses. They are divided into groups mu (หมู่), often transliterated moo or abbreviated "M", which are divided into numbered plots (บ้านเลขที่ ban lek ti), which may (or may not) contain multiple houses. All numbers are assigned in the order they were originally registered, and generally do not follow any geographical or logical sequence.

In cities, a large named building often plays the role of "village", which is then followed by the apartment number.

A typical address in Phuket might be:

7/22 M.5, Soi Ta-iat, Chaofa West Rd., T. Chalong
A. Phuket 83130 Thailand

This corresponds to house 22 on plot 7, Mu 5, Ta-iat lane, Chaofa West Road, Chalong Sub-district, Mueang Phuket District.

...also, a ThaiVisa Topic blast from the past:

Writing an address with a dash instead of a slash
By rideswings | March 1, 2015 in General topics

• Like 1

I'm in pattaya on Soi Buakao. My address is something like

Sender Name

415 / 92 Soi Buakao

Apartment Name, Room Number

Pattaya, Chon Buri, 20150

Thailand

Real numbers not used. Are you guys saying it would be safe to change The street number and name line to:

415 Soi Buakao, Moo 92

On 10/22/2020 at 4:26 PM, Hal65 said:

I'm coming on 7 years here and when mail from the US doesn't make it, I've traced the problem to the Thai street address which has a slash. Like 123/45.

Sometimes a company will not be able to retain a record of the slash. so they'll send to 12345 or 123 45 which isn't good enough. The mail gets lost, returned if I'm lucky.

I've tried seting the street address with spaces: 123 / 45. That has helped but not fully

I think hyphens may be a better fit. 123 - 45.

Question is, is the Thai post office able to parse 123 - 45 to be 123 / 45? Anyone know?

Could try getting a friend in the other end of Thailand to give it a test.

The use of "-" has worked for me but believe most senders can now accommodate the slant (although know that was not the case several decades ago from USA mailers).  

The first number is the land plot number followed by the house number.  Has nothing to do with the moo (village - which is normally written as a name rather than number).  Here in Bangkok there was an attempt some years ago to eliminate the land plot number and assign house numbers according to location in mooban.  Although officially used most mail still is the old system.  But at least in Bangkok you do have the option to use just a house number for address now and not need the slant bar (but number is different from the number assigned with land plot so we have to have two number systems on gate).

Edited by lopburi3

8 hours ago, Hal65 said:

415 Soi Buakao, Moo 92

I doubt there is a Moo 92 anywhere in Pattaya - but I could be wrong......

As @chickenslegs the moobaan I live in all the houses start with the no. 450/xx (the individual house number) in Moo 9 which covers a wider area. 

Quite common for an address to have a slash in to separate entirely from the Moo number. Mine does.  It is  XXX/XXX Moo XX. I usually write out the full village address by name, not number.

Most of my mail can accomodate the slash. But in the cases of things that cannot, I have no found a solution. I very much doubt writing "House XXX, Plot XXX, Village XX" would work especially since it would further lengthen an address that is already too long for many US mailing systems.

10 hours ago, Hal65 said:

I'm in pattaya on Soi Buakao. My address is something like

Sender Name

415 / 92 Soi Buakao

Apartment Name, Room Number

Pattaya, Chon Buri, 20150

Thailand

Real numbers not used. Are you guys saying it would be safe to change The street number and name line to:

415 Soi Buakao, Moo 92

No, this would be a different address.

The house number is 415/92, if you take it apart you change the house number.

A correct Thai address (outside of Bangkok) always looks like this:

[House number] Moo [Village number]

[Subdistrict (Tambon)] [District (Amphoe)] [Provice (Jangwat)] [Postal code]

A house number can be either just 123 or it can be 123/45.

If somebody builds a Moobaan or a Condo, all the houses or units get the same base house number, and different numbers after the slash.

Inside Bangkok the system is a bit different, they use "Ket" instead of Amphoe and "Kweng" instead of Tambon. Instead of "Moo X" they use the name of the street as part of the address.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

No, this would be a different address.

The house number is 415/92, if you take it apart you change the house number.

A correct Thai address (outside of Bangkok) always looks like this:

[House number] Moo [Village number]

[Subdistrict (Tambon)] [District (Amphoe)] [Provice (Jangwat)] [Postal code]

A house number can be either just 123 or it can be 123/45.

If somebody builds a Moobaan or a Condo, all the houses or units get the same base house number, and different numbers after the slash.

Inside Bangkok the system is a bit different, they use "Ket" instead of Amphoe and "Kweng" instead of Tambon. Instead of "Moo X" they use the name of the street as part of the address.

Thank you. In that case, is the hyphen the safest option when the slash is a risk?

415 - 92 Soi Buakao

On 10/22/2020 at 4:26 PM, Hal65 said:

I've traced the problem to the Thai street address

On 10/23/2020 at 12:23 AM, ChristianBlessing said:

I believe that the / (known as solidus) is not a permissible special character in street addresses in the US.

One solution might be to actually write the address. Ie. House 22, plot 7 etc or Apt. 44 , 143 Moo 5.

Instead of trying to be clever with "-" or "/"

Also add your what 3 words location in brackets somewhere to aid Thai Post.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

One solution might be to actually write the address. Ie. House 22, plot 7 etc or Apt. 44 , 143 Moo 5.

Instead of trying to be clever with "-" or "/"

Also add your what 3 words location in brackets somewhere to aid Thai Post.

is Thai Post using what 3 words?