new number plates

quake

Hi 

Anyone know how much and how long to get a new set of number plates for me car.

The ones i have are now faded,  just want to avoid giving the Police Farce of Thailand  any money if stopped.

This is in pattaya. I take it it,  is down stairs at the driving licence center near regents school ?

thanks 

Quake

• Like 1

1 minute ago, quake said:

Hi 

Anyone know how much and how long to get a new set of number plates for me car.

The ones i have are now faded,  just want to avoid giving the Police Farce of Thailand  any money if stopped.

This is in pattaya. I take it it,  is down stairs at the driving licence center near regents school ?

thanks 

Quake

Don't think the BiB would give you a problem because by law you are not allowed to touch the plates with paint. Go to your local Land Traffic office with a plate, see what they say...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Don't think the BiB would give you a problem because by law you are not allowed to touch the plates with paint. Go to your local Land Traffic office with a plate, see what they say...

Thank you for your reply

I would not put anything pass the cops here.

that's why i need new ones. from the transport office or who ever deals with it. :jap:

• Haha 1

OP

Got the same issue with my plates

Go to the Main Transport Department near the Regents School.

Explain the problem, and they will book you in to have your plates repainted / renewed for a charge of about 200 baht and a wait of 6 weeks

You then take the car back to them after that time and they do what is needed.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

OP

Got the same issue with my plates

Go to the Main Transport Department near the Regents School.

Explain the problem, and they will book you in to have your plates repainted / renewed for a charge of about 200 baht and a wait of 6 weeks

You then take the car back to them after that time and they do what is needed.

thank you for that.

will do. :thumbsup:

56 minutes ago, transam said:

They pulled me over one night on Highway 2 and politely advised me to get them replaced because they're unreadable. No fines (not my fault the paint faded after all) but I dropped by the local LTO the following week with rego book, ordered the replacements and paid 200 baht. Meanwhile, the LTO clerk stapled the receipt with delivery date (30 days hence) on a copy of the rego in case I got stopped again.

A month later, I drove back to the LTO, removed the faded ones, went inside, swapped them for the new ones, paid 200 baht, signed a big book, stuck the new plates on and that was it.

But @transam is right; if you decide on a DIY paint job, the cops can and will ticket you.

• Like 2

Years back I cut all my bike number plates down to the size of the old smaller style.

When I went for the new 1 year sticker recently, I was told they can not do it, I will first need a original number plate with correct size.

You will need a certificate of residence and for a bike, the green book, without the sticker being expired. 105 Baht sounds right. If the plate is lost, a police the report is needed. Where I go, it takes about 6 weeks. To pick up the number plate, bring the old one, off course if not lost.

All above applies for Mae Hong Son traffic office, it might be different where you live.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 8:21 PM, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

See many brand new cars with black removed on purpose to avoid cameras.

So why bother.

????????????

Yes.  Seen many with black paint removed. Wonder whether the BiB will fined them ?

• Haha 1

I needed new plates for my bike for a different reason - change of province and owner. I changed ownership to myself and changed the province from Chiang Mai to Korat at the main DLT office in Korat on a Wednesday and was told to come back on Friday for the new plates - I did and they were ready.

Fair enough its a different reason but I can't think of any reason (other than corona) why it should take 8 weeks to get new plates.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Haha 1

On 10/22/2020 at 8:21 PM, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

See many brand new cars with black removed on purpose to avoid cameras.

So why bother.

????????????

Because it differentiates you from being less then honest.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I needed new plates for my bike for a different reason - change of province and owner. I changed ownership to myself and changed the province from Chiang Mai to Korat at the main DLT office in Korat on a Wednesday and was told to come back on Friday for the new plates - I did and they were ready.

Fair enough its a different reason but I can't think of any reason (other than corona) why it should take 8 weeks to get new plates.

The plates will have to be re-made, this takes time.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 6:06 PM, Techno Viking said:

Banglamung LTD.

cost is Bt.200 and will take 30 days.

Take faded plates and book.

remove the plates yourself and give them ? so it means driving without plates ?

Not that i respect any law, but I already have enough problems to avoid to try to be pro active about this one...

4 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

The plates will have to be re-made, this takes time.

Clearly you don't understand what happens when you register a vehicle in a different province. Your old plates are replaced with a new number and contain the name of the new province. In my case, the bike was registered in Chiang Mai - when I bought it and applied to change ownership, the plates were changed to Nakhon Ratchasima plates. I repeat, I applied on a Wednesday and received my new plates on the Friday.

12 minutes ago, SePl said:

remove the plates yourself and give them ? so it means driving without plates ?

Not that i respect any law, but I already have enough problems to avoid to try to be pro active about this one...

I too respect the law and remove the plates once at the transport department.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Clearly you don't understand what happens when you register a vehicle in a different province. Your old plates are replaced with a new number and contain the name of the new province. In my case, the bike was registered in Chiang Mai - when I bought it and applied to change ownership, the plates were changed to Nakhon Ratchasima plates. I repeat, I applied on a Wednesday and received my new plates on the Friday.

Yeah thats why you get the plate quick but if you getting a replacement plate due to damage/lost/faded etc etc they will have to order that plate to be made, thats why it takes a few weeks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Yeah thats why you get the plate quick but if you getting a replacement plate due to damage/lost/faded etc etc they will have to order that plate to be made, thats why it takes a few weeks.

I was told that the reason I had to wait until the Friday to get my new plates was because they had to be made.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I was told that the reason I had to wait until the Friday to get my new plates was because they had to be made.

I just had a "lost" [late repacked in Chiang Mai, it took 2 weeks to get new one.