Chiang Mai marriage extension report

3 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

Why the need for the children's birth certificates if you're applying for a marriage extension? Just not necessary I think. 

Agree. 

Strangely I read in another thread the exact same thing. Not sure if it was CM.

Surely not necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

Why the need for the children's birth certificates if you're applying for a marriage extension? Just not necessary I think. 

Some want them as further proof the marriage is real.

One office waived the home visit or witnesses if the couple had children.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Hark the benefit of occasional passbook updates. It has been mention on TV before that routine updates prevent issues like the OP encountered. 

Yes, I have put a reminder on my phone,  the book is removed from the safe and joins me on my next trip to the bank. Had to change it from 3 months before Ext renewal to be every 3 months.

43 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

New paperwork in CM for this year, full copy of passport.

That's about 20 extra pages (x2) for me.

Application form up from 1 page to 3 pages (x2)

My Non-Os from Saigon were 4 pages in total.

Get a new passport to save a few pieces of paper????

What are the extra application pages?

I've only ever had a two page TM 7 form, which I've always printed, front and back on a single sheet of paper. I've also saved the form in a folder so only have to change the date each year. Hardly a hassle.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Been the same for me every year. When I get my new extension i just add it the file i have saved then print it out when preparing for my application.

58 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That is Ok if you don't mind having to leave the country every 90 days and then make a trip out of the country to apply for a new visa every year.

I prefer one visi a year to apply for my extension with all the assorted paperwork to do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not as hard to do as some people try to say it is.

I am on my 13th extension based upon marriage and can say it is not all that difficult.

About the same paperwork every year. Just make fresh copies of them. I have everything saved in a folder and just print them out. The Kor Ror 2 and the financial proof are the only things that have to be new every year.

I agree UJ, it's not hard, but a lot of it seems overkill and you can get sent away for what is considered

something really minor.

I still can't get over a hand drawn map and having to copy in duplicate every page of your passport.

I'm up to 55 pages (inc copies) and haven't finished yet.

I'm up in Chiang Rai so doing a border hop every 90 days was OK for me.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I'm up in Chiang Rai so doing a border hop every 90 days was OK for me.

I'm in Chiang Mai, flight to Saigon/Da Nang/Hanoi was 1,200bht each way, and I enjoyed the little holidays.

All finished now, who would have guessed this time last year.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not as hard to do as some people try to say it is.

I am on my 13th extension based upon marriage and can say it is not all that difficult.

About the same paperwork every year. Just make fresh copies of them. I have everything saved in a folder and just print them out. The Kor Ror 2 and the financial proof are the only things that have to be new every year.

Joe, me 25+  years and it may look easy, but every single year they surprise me with something new. It depends on the person you are dealing with and the volunteers in the front (some years these friendly students have nu clue) As I have company I even need more paperwork than mentioned above if I use my salary instead of my 400.000 baht account than you can add even more paperwork. They keep all your records in Mae Rim. I must have a pallet worth of paperwork in storage. But then again the rules are not the same as when I started 25 years ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Application form up from 1 page to 3 pages (x2)

I hope you mean the used ones and not those who are still empty?

I don't really get your problem... why would you expect that the IO would not want a proper statement and didn't you have your bank book w/you and a letter from the bank? 

22 hours ago, ttkeric said:

Of course, I asked if he had anything else he wants to waste my time with he started to go on about how he thinks our photos weren't clear. I ask if he'd like me to pay for a vision check for him since I printed them with a laser printer but at this point my wife dragged me away..

And w/the way you describe the IO as turd etc, do you think they don't pick up on your attitude problems? Did you actually say that abt the vision check? I think it is pretty normal around the world that if you give <deleted> to someone w/authority over you, it will come back at you... 

The only time I had a problem renewing my marriage extension was when the Australian, American and UK embassies stopped issuing the income letters and the first time after that was when my extension application was rejected because the Australian pension is paid every 4 weeks and we get 13 payments per year but the IO would not accept that, it had to be 12 payments on the same day every month and as my money was being paid directly into my Thai bank account there was not enough time to change everything so it was off to Savannakhet for 1 night. As for the border hops, it worked out alright for me as I live in Khon Kaen and it was a day out plus a stop at Villa Market at Udon on the way home to get somethings that are not available in Khon Kaen. That IO is no longer at Khon Kaen and I have had my paperwork check by an IO and have been informed that it is no problem for my 1 year extension. It was just one IO that caused my problem.

• Like 2

As I've mentioned in a previous post. PT immigration require the bank book copies and 3 months printed statements (B120 at BB) and the bank letter.

Last year tried to submit TM7 filled in on the computer and printed out.

(So can't do what you do Joe with a stored file)

Oh no. "You have to re~write it all again by hand in blue ink".

Would not accept printed out photos from computer,  only "real" photos from the shop.

Also would not accept Google map of house location. Had to draw it by hand.

And, of course EVERY  passport page with a stamp on it.....any stamp!

And for the first time last year, had to fill in a TM28 even though at same address since 2008. "New procedure " she says.

That took and hour to process. 

(Btw have always has TM 30 and 90day reporting up to date).

But I never show any frustration,  it's not worth it!!

• Haha 1

Well, my grumpy is the usual person who shuffles my paperwork, leafs through every page nine times once, both copies, takes 30-40 minutes. Last time I was in a different young woman handled it. Clipped, quick, efficient, done in 10 minutes.

The Bank statement. Make a deposit, 100 baht, within one week of when you apply. Get bank certifying statement and update at that time. Then on the day of immigration visit stop by a pre-selected ATM and deposit another 100 baht. Get a receipt. Any other method can be flagged as missing something, even if you aren't. 'Golden rule: the one who has the gold(en 1 year stamp) makes the rules (up as they go along)'

Remember: BLUE ink for Thai government, BLACK ink for US. Don't go mixing them up.

Edited by The Snark
Addition
  • Like 1

Thanks ttkeric, am going in for my 1st extension based on marriage ever around the 16th of Nov.  I have a multiple entry non-O based on marriage which is all I have ever used while living here in CM the last 4 yrs since I normally go back to the US for a couple of months each year (not this year!).  A few Q's to the list if you don't mind.

Were the items on the list just single copies of the originals or did you have to have multiple copies of some items (aside from passport pic)?

- Application forms and the usual assortment of forms the helpful volunteers at the front would hand to you.

What forms and did you need and did they have to be filled out hand written in blue ink?

- 2 visa size 4cmx6cm photos (1 for each form).

Got it.

- Your passport (just photocopy everything, every stamp, etc)

Every page, even blank one, or just any page with anything on it?

- Kor ror 2

Wife is confused on this one.  We were married outside of the US and do not remember registering the marriage in LOS

- Marriage cert

Have it

- Wife's ID card

Have it

- House book

Rent so will bring rental agreement and her registry book (not CM)

- Kids Birth certs, house books.

Got it, kids born in the US.  Need Thai translation?

- Map to house

Map to house from where?  Have seen from major road to home and some saying from immigration office to home

- 2 pictures indoors and 2 out

Got it

- TM30

Got it

- 90 Day report slip (I do mine online, so no slip. Didn't bother to print).

Will do my 1st one after paperwork submitted since not due until then

- Letter from Bank

Will inquire, word on the street is must be dated within a few days of submitting paperwork

- Bank book showing 400k, updated with the balance day of submitting paperwork

Ya, transferred the $ into my own account while I was in quarantine realizing that crossing a border was not an option anymore

Thank you very much for any input on this!

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 5:23 PM, ttkeric said:

Hello chaps. Writing this on my phone. Apologies for typos and grammar.

Just to report I've successfully applied for my marriage extension today at Chiang Mai immigration, the one by the airport. Would like to say the entire ordeal was almost undramatic, but of course TIT and the old foggy and general waste of air behind the first counter managed to find an issue to make my blood boil a little. I also speak as the Brits do and understate things generally...

But first, the requirements are per usual.

- Application forms and the usual assortment of forms the helpful volunteers at the front would hand to you.

- 2 visa size 4cmx6cm photos (1 for each form).

- Your passport (just photocopy everything, every stamp, etc)

- Kor ror 2

- Marriage cert

- Wife's ID card

- House book

- Kids Birth certs, house books.

- Map to house

- 2 pictures indoors and 2 out

- TM30

- 90 Day report slip (I do mine online, so no slip. Didn't bother to print).

- Letter from Bank

- Bank book showing 400k, updated with the

Where that piece of human excrement gave me an issue was with my bank book. My last update was last year for last year's extension. There was very little activity with this bank account of mine. An occasional deposit and spend. 

So, when I used the Passbook update machine, it just printed 3 lines of entry (one for accumulated deposits, ditto for withdrawals, and one to show the 1k I just deposited to update the passbook). 

Lump of Thai turd said he can't tell from the 3 lines if the 2 month seasoning has been met. I said the total never dipped below 400k anyways but nope, now he wants a proper 2 month statement.

It's barely 9 in the morning so Airport Plaza isn't opened yet, which means I'll have to drive around looking for a branch.

Of course, I asked if he had anything else he wants to waste my time with he started to go on about how he thinks our photos weren't clear. I ask if he'd like me to pay for a vision check for him since I printed them with a laser printer but at this point my wife dragged me away..

Off we went with this foreign husband cussing just about everyone he met.

Returned in about half an hour. Oh joy, Ebenezer is satisfied now. My turn came immediately; in fact the lady at counter actually waved and called us over.

Rest of it was uneventful.

So, that's the annual blood pressure exercise done and dusted. 6 years and honestly, I keep telling the family that daddy never stop thinking that he should pack up and leave before he well and truly losses his cool dangerously with this <deleted>ehole country.

Of note: my extension was due to expire 17 November. I'm to return on 17 December to my stamp. I normally count a month from application 'under consideration' to stamp, so I wonder if I earned a few days thanks to the amnesty? 

Also of note: amnesty or not, I did all my reporting as usual. Didn't want anything to come bite me in the behind someday

I'm confused why IO asked you for 2 months seasoned of 400k baht? You clearly have child (i assume he/she is Thai nationality?) and it is not necessary to season 400k for 2 months prior to visa application.

Isnt 400k seasoned 2 months only applicable for non-kids parent?

17 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

- Kor ror 2

Wife is confused on this one.  We were married outside of the US and do not remember registering the marriage in LOS

Do you have the original US marriage certificate?

My understanding is that you won't be able to obtain the required kor ror 22.

Your US marriage certificate must be legalized first. Otherwise it's not admissible in Thailand.

There are multiple threads here describing the steps on how to get it legalized.

2 hours ago, unheard said:

Do you have the original US marriage certificate?

My understanding is that you won't be able to obtain the required kor ror 22.

Your US marriage certificate must be legalized first. Otherwise it's not admissible in Thailand.

There are multiple threads here describing the steps on how to get it legalized.

Has been translated and stamped, just can't find where a Kor Ror 3 or 2 have been done.  Thanks!

3 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

Has been translated and stamped, just can't find where a Kor Ror 3 or 2 have been done.  Thanks!

I married outside the country and youhad registered you foreign marriage at a Amphoe you would only have a Kor Ror 22.

A Kor Ror 3 is a Thai Marriage certificate and the Kor Ror 2 is the registry of it.

• Like 1

Hi all. Nice Saturday, was just chilling and decided to drop by.

To answer some Qs:

- 2 copies of everything. Documents like the Marriage certs, kids birth certs, House book, Wife's ID card, your passport, etc. Passport, just copy everything if you can.

- Goes without saying you should have the originals handy. Some officers will check through everything.

- Nope, having Thai children (my actual, own biological kids) are of no consideration. You'll still need to season the 400K,.

Someone mentioned if we needed to disclose that we have kids at all seeing this is going to be an extension by marriage. From what I understand... you just have to let them know everything.

Remember when they asked for your facebook and so on?

Stay cool boys and girls.

• Like 1