Jump to content

"I'm 83, I don't give a sod"; UK pensioner sums up frustration with new COVID curbs


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, polpott said:

The opposite. How little you know. If my NI contributions had been put into a defined benefits pension scheme from day one, I'd be drawing a far bigger pension than I am now.

 

 

pension funds was built on assumption

of growth that never materialized,

the deficit is subsidized by taxes,

its almost universal cross the western hemisphere

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She lives in Barnsley.   If you lived in Barnsley death would be an option worth considering.

that 30 year old with asthma may do whatever he see fit, while the rest of the world carry on trying to put food on the table

She's not right at all. She's just been used to highlight the failure of of the British authorities to control the ignorant and selfish who expect their freedoms to be uncompromised. It's one reason w

Posted Images

1 minute ago, scammed said:

pension funds was built on assumption

of growth that never materialized,

the deficit is subsidized by taxes,

its almost universal cross the western hemisphere

The growth wasn't achieved because the money wasn't invested, it went straight into the treasury pot. You can't get a return on a zero sum. My company pension scheme has grown nicely and I have a cast iron guarantee of my pension plus an annual rise in line with RPI. If the government had performed due dilligence, my state pension would have performed in the same way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 8:43 PM, Hamus Yaigh said:

She's not right at all. She's just been used to highlight the failure of of the British authorities to control the ignorant and selfish who expect their freedoms to be uncompromised. It's one reason why Asian countries are overcoming this pandemic more successfully than the West where a massive second wave is now upon them.

'doesn't give a sod' is summing up the general attitude is over there - well, you reap what you sow.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2020 at 5:51 PM, scammed said:

or put another way: you are retired so you get your pension

regardless how indebted the state, businesses, and workers get as they feed you your pension.

that matters not to you because you wont pay it off,

that is someone elses problem, things are fine

as long as you get yours

Our pension is a right and most of us worked for them. It's not some gift given to us by generous politicians.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Our pension is a right and most of us worked for them. It's not some gift given to us by generous politicians.

those savings are spent quickly, do you acknowledge

that the money wont last 1000 years, or 100 years, or even 10 years ?

it also isnt only to pay for future, but for past expenses, such as your education,

police, army, hospital, etc etc

Edited by scammed
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scammed said:

it also isnt only to pay for future, but for past expenses, such as your education,

police, army, hospital, etc etc

All of those are paid for by general taxation not NI.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 7:52 PM, snoop1130 said:

"I look at it this way - I've not got that many years left in me and I'm not going to be fastened in a house when the government have got it all wrong.

 

 

So Keep Calm and Carry On is no longer a thing?

 

Now it's all about me.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2020 at 2:07 PM, scammed said:

pension funds was built on assumption

of growth that never materialized,

the deficit is subsidized by taxes,

its almost universal cross the western hemisphere

With that level of financial understanding it becomes very apparent why you are ‘scammed’.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yes, because there were plenty of jobs available. If we carry on destroying the economy there will be millions of unemployed who won't have the luxury of paying into pension schemes because they won't even have food on the table.

 

3.5 million unemployed during the Thatcher years, 1m when she came to power. Unemployment is far from novel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

 

Yes, because there were plenty of jobs available. If we carry on destroying the economy there will be millions of unemployed who won't have the luxury of paying into pension schemes because they won't even have food on the table.

 

It's time to protect the "At Risk" groups and let the young and healthy continue with their lives.

While I agree with your last sentence, in NZ there are hundreds if not thousands of jobs that need local workers because the overseas workers that used to do them are not allowed in. They might not be the best jobs, but if people came from overseas to do them, seems strange that NZ workers won't, now. Actually not strange, but that's a different subject.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...