Muang Thong Thani monorail plan heads to Cabinet

webfact

Muang Thong Thani monorail plan heads to Cabinet

By THE NATION

800_4af48243a4dadb3.jpg?v=1603385394

The Transport Ministry will next month seek Cabinet approval to extend the MRT Pink Line monorail with a two-station link to Muang Thong Thani, Nonthaburi province.

The planned 3-kilometre extension from Si Rat station to Muang Thong Thani has passed an environmental impact assessment (EIA) and will be sent to Cabinet in November, said the Mass Rapid Transit Authority (MRTA).

The Pink Line will run 34.5 kilometres from Nonthaburi’s Khae Rai Intersection to Minburi district in Bangkok.

The contractor, BTS-led consortium BRS, says work on the line is 60 per cent complete, with stations scheduled to open at the end of 2021.

The spur-extension to Muang Thong Thani is expected to open in 2020.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30396625

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-23

A welcome move, this one. IMPACT Muang Thong Thani is a great venue for large-scale exhibitions and events, but very bad traffic (both ways) makes access by road downright horrible. Won't open in time for this year's Motor Expo though, I guess. Hopefully this will be the last motor show for which I have to leave BKK at pre-dawn for a traffic-free drive to (and parking at) the venue.

• Like 2

The spur-extension to Muang Thong Thani is expected to open in 2020.

So the new spur will not only open before the main line, but cabinet approval, funding, construction, testing, and delivery of trains will all happen within the next eight weeks.

Got to love The Nation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

So the new spur will not only open before the main line, but cabinet approval, funding, construction, testing, and delivery of trains will all happen within the next eight weeks.

Got to love The Nation.

Right, exactly what I was thinking.  I live right nearby, and if it did open first, where would people park to get the train from Chaengwattana road?  They would need to park in one of the shopping center lots and walk to the train.  The sidewalks are no good around here.