Expat in Koh Samui Prison on drug charges, nearly $3,000 raised to get her out

webfact

3 minutes ago, connda said:

So if someone sends a package containing drugs to a Thai bureaucrat and they sign for the package, then they are guilty of receiving drugs with the intent to distribute?  But if their secretary signs for it then the secretary is guilty?  Just saying that that logic contains a lot of holes and easily leads to the punishment of innocent people.  And - if the package was signed by a Thai bureaucrat my guess is a different tier of "justice" would apply and they would never be jailed or considered to be involved.  But commoners and foreigners.  Guilty without a doubt. 

How often do you think $10,000 of drugs get delivered to the wrong person?

(and they found 4 identical empty boxes in her room, and she's confessed)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

My pals in the UK (cocaine drug dealers) always used to operate deliveries like this (Red Star Parcels).

Package delivered to your address with another person's name on, put on the side for a week, then open if they weren't raided.

Gave them plausible deniability, police stakeouts could only afford to wait 3 days.

Like the police would know when you opened the package.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My pals in the UK (cocaine drug dealers) always used to operate deliveries like this (Red Star Parcels).

Package delivered to your address with another person's name on, put on the side for a week, then open if they weren't raided.

Gave them plausible deniability, police stakeouts could only afford to wait 3 days.

Your pals ain't very bight if they send it by post to start with.

33 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Well, there is a "Hot in the Biscuit" American restaurant in Koh Samui and there are pics on that page that appear to be her, so it's not like those stories in the Mirror and Sun where they have outlandish stories with zero actual details so they can't be pinned down and proven to be scammers.

Nothing on the restaurant's Facebook page about this (not surprising - not something you'd want to advertise).

An update from 21 Oct says they hit their goal and the current amount is just over $3,360 so the original goal must have been $3,000 and they since upped it to 10x that amount. (A good lawyer can be expensive after all.)

Started teach in Thailand at 19 ? Something doesn't add up there. Unless she wasn't legit (i.e. no actual teaching qualifications or certification).
Starting a little restaurant that serves breakfast and brunch ? 
Sheesh - not that hard. Rent a spot, buy/rent/borrow some tables and chairs, set up an area to cook and clean. Probably get up and running for less than 5,000 baht (depending on rent/location). 

Hope she has a decent lawyer but this is Thailand. Even though they have nothing to connect her to the drugs, they can still decide that she knew what was in the package. 

There's little doubt she was set up though. As someone else mentioned, the police don't just show up and start searching a place and opening packages addressed to someone else. Unless they knew what to look for and when to look for it.

So someone sent the package and then tipped off the cops about what was in it. Which would mean the cops should know who was behind it.

Which a good lawyer should be able to point out to the judge. But again. This is Thailand.

The parcel was probably intercepted in the postal system and then tracked to the Destination.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seems you just discovered the weak spot in her case.

Some of us actually know what farang teachers get paid.

Wonder if she's got a work permit for the restaurant?

Obviously the cops knew the drugs had been delivered ( they don't go around raiding restaurants on the off chance of finding parcels with drugs ).

Seems she was set up. I could speculate on the obvious reason, but that would be a conspiracy theory, so won't.

i guess i am daft, what isthe obvious reason ?

Setting someone up by losing yourself $10,000 of drugs seems a little bit excessive. (MDMA $40/gm x 250)

Would point out 250gm is 4,000 doses ........ maximum safe clinical dose = 150mg.

If I were setting someone up, I'd have just posted $100 worth.

You have quite a knowledge about this stuff????

• Thanks 1

For those who started on computers around the years 77/80,
during our lessons, we only had one big computer for two students.
Our teacher was leading us from a huge computer that must have weighed 70 kgs.
Well, there was no internet, nor games, we learned, we worked.

• Confused 1

Is there some way a girl of 19 can be a teacher? If she has been in Thailand for 2 years and is now 21 it implies that she became a teacher when she was 19. I thought teachers needed degrees.

I wonder if she has a work permit to start her business and work as a teacher......and what is a teacher doing opening mail. And who is her boss.....presumably if she started the Hot in the Biscuit, she is her own boss. So is this a boss from her teaching job? Is her boss in jail as well? Did he work at the same school/cafe?

Something doesn't smell right. But poor girl, I would not like to be in her shoes right now. 

Sex, drugs and rock 'n roll ..........

Pricing of drugs from Google, as I no longer use them, and when I did MDMA hadn't been invented.

invented in the early 1900's,

so you hadn't been invented !  ????

5 hours ago, baansgr said:

My next load of crack cocaine I will have delivered to my house in someone else's name...if in the event it is detected I am innocent as wasn't my name on the package...life's not that simple...

The girl was 19 when she started teaching? If she knew about it, she's got a mental disorder. 

Wouldn't she send it to her school's address, even when she doesn't work there anymore?

The cops made a mistake not to wait for what will happen with the Party stuff. 
She didn't open it, but it seems that she knew of it.

Why did the cops not use technology and put a GPS tracker in it and a cam that starts filming when you open the package?

She was on Ko Phangan before, that's not really in her favor, and the real sender must have been somebody she knows. How else would the pills reach the right address?

Sorry to say that, but she's somehow involved in something so stupid when you live in LOS. 

Edited by teacherclaire

Unfortunate, but very idiotic to sign for & open a parcel that's not addressed to you,

especially if you have no idea what is inside - former boss or not.

She could have just rejected the parcel and refused to sign.

Very convenient that the BiB showed up right after - definitely more to this story.

Too lazy to scroll through five pages to see if anyone else pointed out that it doesn't say she has been a teacher for two years, only that she was a teacher and had been here for two years. After a brief perve (I mean look) on FB, she quit a watersports job in China in Sept. 2019, and was a teacher in China in March 2020. All very confusing. And yes, the coincidental name on IMDb is weird.

Is it possible to set up a GoFundMe under false pretenses and just collect cash? I might try that, the way this economy is headed.