Expat in Koh Samui Prison on drug charges, nearly $3,000 raised to get her out

webfact

2 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

You want to reprint or link to the GFMP that says she signed a confession in Thai?  It siad she signed to recieve the package not a confession.

I looked for them on samui community group yesterday and both the posts appealing for funds had disappeared. There was a photo showing her standing in the police station signing as far as I remember as well as photo of the package. Yes she signed for the package but if asked to sign something written in Thai at a police station I’m pretty sure they would say don’t worry it’s nothing and she would probably sign. She’s a 21 year old woman in a foreign country , not some hardened drug baron so I’m sure she won’t be sitting telling them to do one .

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Wow, some of you guys must be so old that your brains can't think of  answers to simple questions. Here lets see if I can be of asistance.

1. She is from South Africa but has a restaurant serving American breakfast.

2. How could she afford to open a restaurant on a teacher's salary? How about  her family, friends  , boyfriend, girlfriend lent her the money or she had an inheritance?

I just take these 2 things of many. If you read all the info correctly then you know that she is not the owner of the restaurant. Obviously she worked there as waitress. I think it is not easy to get a work permit for this as foreigner. Anyway - let's wait how this story develops. Perhaps we get further information to understand what really happened there. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I just take these 2 things of many. If you read all the info correctly then you know that she is not the owner of the restaurant. Obviously she worked there as waitress. I think it is not easy to get a work permit for this as foreigner. Anyway - let's wait how this story develops. Perhaps we get further information to understand what really happened there. 

Below is from TripAdvisor

Hot In The Biscuit, Chaweng: See 50 unbiased reviews of Hot In The Biscuit, ... Noi Right Next To Buffalo Steakhouse, Chaweng, Bophut 84320 Thailand+66 98 084 ... Service is more than you expect, Ashley (the owner) is such a sweetheart, her ... That's exactly what our mission is... showing Samui what a real breakfast is, ...

Many other reports from TripAdvisor and reviews stating she is owner/General Manager---not a waitress.

The other GoFundMe reports and article you said were taken down (alegedly) may have happened as the current GFM states the goal was raised---possibly misprint that $30,000 dollars was needed Check were it says ---update

17 hours ago, donnacha said:

Large amounts of money have magical powers in Thailand.

Not saying it will be cheap, but a judge would have plausible grounds for dismissing this case if he were to feel so inclined ????

Who would trust any Koh Samui judge after their true colours were exposed with the Koh Tao case.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, varun said:

Unfortunate, but very idiotic to sign for & open a parcel that's not addressed to you,

especially if you have no idea what is inside - former boss or not.

She could have just rejected the parcel and refused to sign.

Very convenient that the BiB showed up right after - definitely more to this story.

Parcel could have been intercepted at the post office, sent on and watched by police.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Face book reply from the owner of the restaurant: 

Hot in the Biscuit I saw this absolute farce of a post and have already contacted the author about it but will post here what I sent him. 1) There is NO confession. There will not BE a confession. I am the one who has hired her attorneys and I have seen ALL the evidence and there is no confession - there is a statement which reiterates her complete and utter innocence. So your article headline is complete falsehood.

2) There were not 4 other boxes of drugs found. There were two toy boxes which contained toys in the store room which are there and have been there since the shop was opened to provide toys for children who eat at our restaurant. We also have a library there for adults and a ring-toss game for all ages.

3) Ashley does not run a bar - she manages the front of house operations for a breakfast and brunch restaurant of which I am the owner.

4) Ashley does not even have a bank account so please explain how she can order anything, let alone drugs, online? I go further - a complete investigation of her financial records and bank statements for our company have shown and will show absolutely no illicit transactions and certainly not enough transactions to allow for a package of 250 grams worth of drugs to be purchased.

5) She leaves her drugs under stones in a park? This was the biggest joke of all. What park? What stones? She lives in a house on a hill that you can only reach by a dirt path and is not close to anyone. Your article is complete slander and tomorrow if you have not updated it you can expect to hear from my lawyer on charges of slander.

6) Her drug test was NEGATIVE.

7) NO DRUGS OR ILLICIT MATERIALS were found at her house or her work place OTHER THAN the unopened parcel address to Dave Rensburg who is the South African that I bought the business from and who used to be our very good friend.

???? The delivery man pressured for her to sign this package WHILE she was serving customers DURING her shift and when she SAW IT WAS addressed to someone she has known for years she simply signed her name, put the package down, and got back to work before awhile later the police raided the shop where they found nothing else at all. 9) There is no Ukraine/UK connection. I am in Ukraine attending MEDICAL SCHOOL. There was a package sent to Dave Resnburg from the UK. The two have NOTHING in common

Dont talk about it, sue the <deleted>. If he is prepared to post about an innocent person in this way, he gets what he deserves.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Doesn't say if she has a work permit and IMO would not get one as a Thai could do that job.

I wonder what visa she is on? Can't work on a tourist visa.

I knew a Brit that owned a restaurant. He couldn't even make his own breakfast in the kitchen as that would have been working.

That is actually strictly said true that you need to be on the correct side of the counter,  even if you have a work permit, as it could be depending of exactly what your work permit states.

A friend of mine, who had work permit as graphic designer, opened a smaller restaurant on Samui with both pool table and bar as extra service/income. Company limited and all necessary paperwork was perfectly Okay – permission for alcohol sale, playing music, etc. – including a hired Thai chef in the kitchen, and girlfriend taking care of orders and the business, and Thai staff for serving and dish washing etc.

He had a band playing on Saturdays, Thais but with a German foreigner as vocalist. One Saturday night a lot of people in uniforms turned up, in the same moment the vocalist immediately jumped over a fence in the back of the open air restaurant's garden, and disappeared in the dark coconut-plantagen. When the uniformed men entered my friend stood just around the entrance corner to the bar, behind the bar desk, an indeed extremely wrong position, with no work permit for restaurant...????

My friend was quite a bit "<deleted> off" being asked about work permit, and unfortunately he got angry, and said something in big letters to a man in a white uniform speaking "farang" (i.e. English language) – in the always crystal bright light of hindsight it was a huge mistake – unfortunately the English speaking man in white uniform was mister Big Boss of Samui Immigration...:whistling:

After that I better understood another friend, that owned a well-going bar business in Chaweng, but always sat by the corner of the long bar on the client side. I never ever saw him behind the bar, but the sound system's amplifier was placed so handy that he could stay outside and reach the volume knob, if the pole-dancers turned the volume too high up...:thumbsup:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Doesn't say if she has a work permit and IMO would not get one as a Thai could do that job.

I wonder what visa she is on? Can't work on a tourist visa.

I knew a Brit that owned a restaurant. He couldn't even make his own breakfast in the kitchen as that would have been working.

Yep I owned a restaurant before in samui and despite having a work permit you basically can’t do a thing really . One of my mates has ran restaurants for 15 years and he is basically meant to just supervise , he shouldn’t even be handing the customers coffee etc even though he didn’t make it  !

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2020 at 11:53 PM, donnacha said:

Large amounts of money have magical powers in Thailand.

Not saying it will be cheap, but a judge would have plausible grounds for dismissing this case if he were to feel so inclined ????

Yeah the judge not the cops

On 10/22/2020 at 11:58 PM, baansgr said:

My next load of crack cocaine I will have delivered to my house in someone else's name...if in the event it is detected I am innocent as wasn't my name on the package...life's not that simple...

Have it delivered to your house is different son.

Besides it's that simple

On 10/23/2020 at 12:35 PM, 2 is 1 said:

If story is true what make her idiot? I have sign up many peoples package so i have to be idiot also. Hmm.. maybe i am but not coz sign up! Only idiot don't know hes idiot!

Yes ! idiots also carry a "friend" luggage through borders and end 20 years in jail...

On 10/23/2020 at 6:30 AM, Tony125 said:

Wow, some of you guys must be so old that your brains can't think of  answers to simple questions. Here lets see if I can be of asistance.

1. She is from South Africa but has a restaurant serving American breakfast. Amazing, let me inform you that you don't  have to be American to know how to cook American Breakfast. My first Thai  GF I sent to culinary school here in Thailand and she can cook  American, Italian and Thai foods. There is a French Restaurant in Pattaya that all the cooks (Thai and Foreign) had to train for a min 3 months in France to cook there. She could have hired cooks  who know how to cook American ,South American or other foods listed on their menue.

2. How could she afford to open a restaurant on a teacher's salary? How about  her family, friends  , boyfriend, girlfriend lent her the money or she had an inheritance?

3. She could have easily been set up. When I was in the  US Army on post in Texas there was  a coffee  house that catered to us Northern boys as the owner (girl) was from NYC.. locals put  marijuana in her car in order to get  her placed closed down. They didn't know we had CCTV cameras installed in and around the shop. After the bust we showed copies of tape and informed locals if anything happened then or in the future the individuals plainly seen planting the drugs would be released to NY Times and other news  outlets , place was never bothered again.

4. I don't know about South Africa but in US you can atake college courses in High School and graduate early with enough points to finish a degree early, also there is a TEFL course in Phuket which will give you a bachelor's degree for teaching English in 2 years.

Would of, could have, should have.

Your post is full of nothing but speculation.

Anyone that has money, is not working as a school teach in Thailand. You are making a wild guess there everyone gave her the money.

She could have been set up? You have any evidence or maybe she was funding a way to open a restaurant? With no evidence it is anyone's guess.

In the US when you take college courses in High School, you are actually taking them at the college. Only the top students qualify to do this.

A TEFL course gives you a bachelors degree in 2 years and that is absolutely worthless outside of Thailand and another scam to make money

You have nothing but speculation.

Every think why she would even be around another person that would have had such a package sent? 

I wouldn't be a mile within reach of a person that ordered drugs, speculating there were not her's or maybe was her BF trying to support her restaurant.

Who knows with no facts?

On 10/23/2020 at 11:41 AM, Huckenfell said:

Dont talk about it, sue the <deleted>. If he is prepared to post about an innocent person in this way, he gets what he deserves.

If you are the owner, what VISA is she on allowing her to serve customers in a restaurant?

Also did she have a work permit and if you claim yes, what was the job listed on the work permit?

22 minutes ago, samsensam said:

well, yes, and no. if she was working legally with all the relevant qualifications, documentation and work permits it paints a different picture to someone working illegally. if she was breaking the law prior to the drugs bust surely this would be taken into account when granting, or not granting, her bail. and while not proof of involvement in the drugs case does show a casual disregard for the law in thailand.

Is there anyone here who doesn't have "a casual disregard for the law in thailand"? Anyone?

No? I guess I'd better turn myself in then.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

99% of Thais have a 'casual disregard for Thai law'. Witness it all the time 

and a 100% of expats?

It is only  case of 'which law' do we have a casual regard for?

Personally, I drink and drive (2 beers). Sometimes I forget to indicate.

• Like 1