Germany readies for coronavirus vaccine before end of year - Bild

webfact

Germany readies for coronavirus vaccine before end of year - Bild

2020-10-22T220302Z_1_LYNXMPEG9L1S9_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-VACCINES-OSEIMMUNOTHERAPEUTICS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A small bottle labeled with a "Vaccine COVID-19" sticker and a medical syringe in this illustration taken April 10, 2020. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/File Photo

BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany is making preparations to start vaccinations against the coronavirus before the end of the year, Bild daily reported on Friday.

The health ministry plans to create 60 special vaccination centres to ensure the vaccines can be stored at the proper temperature and has asked the country's 16 federal states to provide addresses for them by Nov. 10, Bild reported without citing its sources.

At a video conference earlier this week, Health Minister Jens Spahn, who himself tested positive for the coronavirus on Wednesday, said Germany's BioNTech was close to getting a vaccine approved, Bild cited participants as saying.

Asked when he expected the first vaccinations, Spahn replied: "That could happen before the end of the year," participants told Bild.

BioNTech is developing its vaccine in partnership with Pfizer Inc.

Last month, Germany awarded $745 million (569.66 million pounds) in funding to biotech firms BioNTech and CureVac to speed up work on COVID-19 vaccines and expand German production capacity.

On Tuesday, Pfizer and BioNTech announced the start in Japan of combined Phase I and Phase II clinical trials of their mRNA-based vaccine candidate against the coronavirus.

Their U.S. vaccine trial could yield initial results as soon as later this month.

Germany's infection rates have been accelerating. Data released on Thursday showed the number of confirmed cases rose by more than 10,000 in a single day for the first time.

(Reporting by Madeline Chambers in Berlin; Editing by Bill Berkrot)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-10-23

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, than said:

Contrary to what you say, this vaccine candidate is phase 3. It is BNT162b2 (mRNA vaccine, BioNTech RNA Pharmaceuticals and Pfizer), a vaccine produced in collaboration with the firm Pfizer.

https://www.clinicaltrialsregister.eu/ctr-search/trial/2020-001038-36/DE

For information list of Phase 3 vaccine candidate :

Already in Phase III (efficacy and safety):

- Inactivated SARS-CoV-2 (inactivated viruses, Sinovac and Butantan Institute)

- Inactivated Novel Coronavirus Pneumonia (COVID-19) vaccine (inactivated viruses, Hennan Provincial Center for Disease Control and Prevention and Sinopharm)

- BBIBP-CorV (inactivated viruses, Beijing Institute of Biological Products Co., LTD and Laboratorio Elea Phoenix S.A.)

- AZD1222 (vector vaccine, University of Oxford and Astra Zeneca)

- Ad26.COV2.S (vector vaccine, Janssen Vaccines & Prevention (Johnson & Johnson))

- mRNA-1273 (mRNA vaccine, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and Moderna)

- BNT162b2 (mRNA vaccine, BioNTech RNA Pharmaceuticals and Pfizer)

- Ad5-nCoV (vector vaccine, CanSino Biologics)

- Gam-COVID-Vac (vector vaccine, Gamaleya Research Institute of Epidemiology and Microbiology, Health Ministry of the Russian Federation)

- Inactivated Novel Coronavirus Pneumonia (COVID-19) vaccine (Vero cells) (inactivated viruses, Wuhan Provincial Center for Disease Control and Prevention)

- NVX-CoV2373 (recombinant proteins, Novavax)

Not what I say, it is stated in the OP: "On Tuesday, Pfizer and BioNTech announced the start in Japan of combined Phase I and Phase II clinical trials"

BILD is the least trustable tabloid in Germany. 20 years ago they were infamous for fabricating untrue stories, notorious of damaging the reputation of people by their lies, and always supporting ultra conservative circles. It became a little bit  better during the last decade, but still it is a rubbish tabloid. However and on the positive side, in a few rare cases, they were uncovering real scandals also.

If only BILD reports something like this, I wouldn't trust at all. Officially the German authorities anounced today that they do not believe any vaccine will be available before beginning of 2021.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flying Saucage said:

BILD is the least trustable tabloid in Germany. 20 years ago they were infamous for fabricating untrue stories, notorious of damaging the reputation of people by their lies, and always supporting ultra conservative circles. It became a little bit  better during the last decade, but still it is a rubbish tabloid. However and on the positive side, in a few rare cases, they were uncovering real scandals also.

If only BILD reports something like this, I wouldn't trust at all. Officially the German authorities anounced today that they do not believe any vaccine will be available before beginning of 2021.

The SPIEGEL says same 

26 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

The SPIEGEL says same 

The SPIEGEL generally is way more trustable than BILD, of course. But I haven't heard anything from the officials or the Robert Koch Institute that vaccination can start already end of 2020. I think there is no company ready with a vaccine today, so nobody can say today if a working vaccine really will be available soon, and when exactly. Otherwise, this really would have been big news in all newspapers.

So I really think it is too early to predict anything, and I personally doubt it will be available so quickly. And even if they can start to produce it so soon, it will be available for a few groups of people seeing at risk firstly. But let's hope both newspapers are right, this would be great news!

Edited by Flying Saucage
  • Like 1