COVID-19 Insurance for 80+ year old retired American

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Only Pacific Cross, Thai Vivat and Bangkok Insurance issue policies up to age 75

Actually, as has been well advertised on this forum, LMG is the company of choice, as it doesn't require a physical, has the lowest costs when their deductible is figured in, and it can be issued up to age 75 (and renewed for another 25 years).

Their highest deductible is 200k, meaning, you self-insure for 200k. I'm hoping they raise their deductible to 400k for a 400k policy. Thus, we'll be back where we were before this OA insurance requirement ripoff, namely, I'll self insure for the required amount, with the help of my US insurance company. Of course, I'll have to still pay a premium for this worthless  policy -- but that's the cost of corruption for living here in Thailand.

There, now I feel better.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Actually, as has been well advertised on this forum, LMG is the company of choice, as it doesn't require a physical, has the lowest costs when their deductible is figured in, and it can be issued up to age 75 (and renewed for another 25 years).

Their highest deductible is 200k, meaning, you self-insure for 200k. I'm hoping they raise their deductible to 400k for a 400k policy. ...

FYI > French nationals insured by CFE, actually have the option to opt for a 300K deductible, so we are almost there...

A French national wrote me that he was able to subscribe to the LMG Insurance Plan-1 policy via his French health insurer CFE (Caisse des Français de l'Etranger, a semi-private company associated with the French Social Security).

CFE announced a partnership with LMG, allowing their members to apply for basically the same package as proposed to the general public, but with a 300.000 THB deductible, and a reduced premium.  So that French national was able to subscribe to the policy with approx 40% reduction on the already low annual premium.  CFE also clearly states that it is just a product aimed at meeting immigration needs, and not really an insurance (I appreciate their honesty on that matter).

Ye, sorry - LMG revised its plans in the past year

SO the following of the 13 companies listed will issue new policy up to age 75:

Bangkok Insurance

LMG

Pacific Cross

Thai Vivat

The other 9 companies listed have lower age cut offs ranging from 60 - 70 years. Note also that some of these will also drop existing policies when you turn  a certain age (usually 70 or 75).

LMG with a maximum deductible is certainly the least expensive option but I would caution that it should only be used by people who either have other insurance or very ample savings (as in, millions of baht readily available)...because it does not provide any meaningful protection against medical costs. People who do not meet that criteria are better off getting one of the higher end Pacific Cross policies or, if under age 60, higher end policy fromAetna. PC will issue new policies up to age 75 and guarantees renewal to age 99. Aetna will issue policy with lifetime guaranteed renewal up to age 60. Or -- ither alternative - get a decent international policy that will provide the required "foreign insurance certificate" but in that instance you will need to get new O-A every 1-2 years as you will nto be able to do an in-country extension with a foreign policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello All - 

I just thought I would quickly post that my dad's visa has finally been approved. We were able to get the requisite proof of his insurance - that was not easy - but we did it. We are now on our way. We each have our COE's in hand and will be traveling back in mid-November. 

Question - may have been answered here somewhere but I can't find it - Are they any reports from Americans who have returned and detailed the experience here on Thai Visa or elsewhere? I would love to read about how the check-in process at the airport was, how the COVID test was secured 72 hours in advance, how picky they are about the fit to fly certificate, COVID insurance, etc. Any personal accounts would be most welcome to read through. 

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, khonkaenjason said:

Hello All - 

I just thought I would quickly post that my dad's visa has finally been approved. We were able to get the requisite proof of his insurance - that was not easy - but we did it.

Could you please provide details on how you managed to get the required insurance for your 80+ father, and which insurance company he used.

13 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Could you please provide details on how you managed to get the required insurance for your 80+ father, and which insurance company he used.

Apparently they managed to get proof of his fathers existing TriCare insurance (see the OP).

• Like 1

OP - it would be very, very useful if you could detail how you were able to get documentation on Tricare acceptable to the Embassy.

Note that you will not be able to do an in-country extension based on it. So will have to go back home and get another new O-A visa. If travel restrictions have eased up, he could do one re-entry after a year and get a second year permission of stay on same visa, and then at end of 2 years if still wanting to live in Thailand would have to go back home and get a new O-A (could first try seeing if immigration would wave the insurance requirement given that he does not qualify for a local policy, or seeing if an "agent" can arrange soemthing, but no guarantees).

• Like 1