Moving operating system to an M.2 card

canuckamuck

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Check your BIOS (like I recommended in an earlier post).

When I did that on my PC I could see the M.2 with different BIOS settings. But I saw the M.2 in different ways. I think in the Windows Disk Manager one time it was the first device and one time not - to name just one little difference.

And you can use a performance tool to check how fast it works. This is what I saw with my M.2 with 

CrystalDiskMark 7

https://crystalmark.info/
NewSSD.jpg.9b95950bf8fdc2bd780b1435aff3e23f.jpg

For comparison, this is what my old SSD showed:

OrgSSD.jpg.b416e32fb1147ea02520ad6a173751ec.jpg

it appears I am ok, look at my results next to yours471363893_Screenshot(1)_LI.jpg.5ab924a1b5a2fac4f8f8f05a9351d632.jpg471363893_Screenshot(1)_LI.jpg.5ab924a1b5a2fac4f8f8f05a9351d632.jpg

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Boot into the BIOS setup using F2; go to System Configuration and scroll down to Storage Interface. Is RAID selected or AHCI?

finally got to the storage info and it says RAID selected..... also sata 0 and sata 1 were on and I turned them off as I don't have any sata but it shows Samsung 970 EVO plus 1 TB and RAID, wanted a screen shot but it doesn't allow if from that screen

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

it appears I am ok, look at my results next to yours471363893_Screenshot(1)_LI.jpg.5ab924a1b5a2fac4f8f8f05a9351d632.jpg471363893_Screenshot(1)_LI.jpg.5ab924a1b5a2fac4f8f8f05a9351d632.jpg

On the first view it looks good to me.

But it's interesting that sometimes your and my numbers are almost the same, some of my values are almost double than yours and some of yours are almost double than my values.

I have to admit I am too lazy to look up the details and the possible reasons for that.

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

finally got to the storage info and it says RAID selected..... also sata 0 and sata 1 were on and I turned them off as I don't have any sata but it shows Samsung 970 EVO plus 1 TB and RAID, wanted a screen shot but it doesn't allow if from that screen

Be careful what you change!

Worst case you won't be able to boot into your operating system anymore.

Or when the computer boots it detects changes and loads new drivers. That can be real headache if it goes wrong.

For that reason normally RAID and AHCI should not be changed once the operation system is installed.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Be careful what you change!

Worst case you won't be able to boot into your operating system anymore.

Or when the computer boots it detects changes and loads new drivers. That can be real headache if it goes wrong.

For that reason normally RAID and AHCI should not be changed once the operation system is installed.

All appears to be running well, no faster nor slower.... but still have the error telling me to update the damn driver and still can't do it, contacted Dell am waiting for their answer, Samsung site all in Thai impossible to contact them, check the screen shot from samsung magician, on the top it shows the error

Screenshot (4).png

On 10/25/2020 at 7:06 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Check your BIOS (like I recommended in an earlier post).

When I did that on my PC I could see the M.2 with different BIOS settings. But I saw the M.2 in different ways. I think in the Windows Disk Manager one time it was the first device and one time not - to name just one little difference.

And you can use a performance tool to check how fast it works. This is what I saw with my M.2 with 

CrystalDiskMark 7

https://crystalmark.info/
NewSSD.jpg.9b95950bf8fdc2bd780b1435aff3e23f.jpg

For comparison, this is what my old SSD showed:

OrgSSD.jpg.b416e32fb1147ea02520ad6a173751ec.jpg

4 lanes on PCIe that the current crop of NVMe drive use will give you a maximum bandwidth of just under 4GB/s (4000MB/s). With the overhead for the controller and Win drivers, your NVMe card seems to peak out and using maximum bandwidth available. My figures are about the same for a Samsung 970 Evo Plus. it takes about 2-3 seconds to boot to Windows 10 desktop after BIOs finishes. I have an ASUS MoBo and didn't had to configure anything for the drive except for booting sequence.

14 hours ago, Mavideol said:

All appears to be running well, no faster nor slower.... but still have the error telling me to update the damn driver and still can't do it, contacted Dell am waiting for their answer, Samsung site all in Thai impossible to contact them, check the screen shot from samsung magician, on the top it shows the error

Screenshot (4).png

I think the error message is clear.

Look which drivers your drive is using and replace it with the MS drivers.

Maybe your current drivers is newer than the MS driver and this is the reason why MS is not updating it automatically.

Sometimes it's necessary to do this manually...

21 hours ago, Mavideol said:

There is your answer. It needed to be changed to AHCI prior to installation.

But you can fix it without having to reinstall Windows 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ngnIKqPOc4

http://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncategorized/solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation/

21 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Make sure that you preserve the spaces when entering the commands:

bcdedit /set safeboot minimal

There is one after 'bcdedit', but not one before 'set'

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think the error message is clear.

Look which drivers your drive is using and replace it with the MS drivers.

Maybe your current drivers is newer than the MS driver and this is the reason why MS is not updating it automatically.

Sometimes it's necessary to do this manually...

I have been trying for the past week or so to update the driver from any possible site, MS/Windows, Samsung, Dell, Cnet and still no update, always goes back to the existing driver dated 2006

Should I understand that I should be running in AHCI and not RAID..... I think my bios allows me to change between Raid  and AHCI, is it the best way to go or is it better/safer to go with the links you provided

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

Should I understand that I should be running in AHCI and not RAID..... I think my bios allows me to change between Raid  and AHCI, is it the best way to go or is it better/safer to go with the links you provided

Don't change it when your OS is already setup for one or the other.

Changing it means often trouble. Part of that trouble is that Windows installs different drivers and changes things (maybe drive letters and more). And once Windows did that you can't easily go back to what it was.

Been there, done that...

does the word "Current" means C drive or no need to use the word

Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal

Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Changing it means often trouble. Part of that trouble is that Windows installs different drivers and changes things (maybe drive letters and more). And once Windows did that you can't easily go back to what it was.

Been there, done that...

that means I should re-install Windows from scratch or restore from backup or keep running in RAID mode ?

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Been there, done that...

I use INTEL RAID with Windows 7. The same OS installation runs with or without RAID. If there is no RAID then the INTEL drivers are not loaded. Windows doesn't realize if it gets several disks as RAID or a single drive. It just cares about partitions and drive letters. 

27 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I suggest keep running in RAID mode.

As far as I remember that has no disadvantage.

speed is not there as expected.... Had a Dell Inspiron 3353 before, changed the HDD to a Samsung 960 and it runs faster than a fighter jet but gave it to the daughter for her school work, thus bought the Dell 5593 and forgot to change the settings and also forgot about it, (have a tendency to rush to the end of the messages without completely reading them in detail  555 ) and finally decided to compare the settings and there it was  AHCI runs better and faster, going to re-install Windows from my back up as I do monthly backups, just finished one at lunch time, and ready to the safe boot and make changes if all goes well no need for my back up but is here available, thanks for the advise, do appreciate.

Do have a last question as you mention having past problems when changing the settings, one of my neighbors said that in order to avoid potential boot failure or any other potential trouble, one should download AHCI drivers before switching, did you download any drivers, which ones should I download

Edited by Mavideol

46 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Do have a last question as you mention having past problems when changing the settings, one of my neighbors said that in order to avoid potential boot failure or any other potential trouble, one should download AHCI drivers before switching, did you download any drivers, which ones should I download

Just download all "disk" drivers which are available on the download page for your motherboard. And then run the setup programs from those drivers. If Windows needs the drivers then it will use them. If it doesn't need them then at least the information for those drivers (.inf files) is already in Windows and Windows knows they exist.

That explanation is probably technically not 100% correct but that's the basic principle how it works.

I agree with the way you do it. Make sure you have a backup and just try. Best case no problem, worst case you still have that backup.

I also suggest you check your motherboard manual for possible M.2 settings (see my post at the beginning).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Why is it so difficult for you to follow instruction? Everything I have written is clear, but you need to stop following OneMoreFarang's posts in this case. He is unintentionally misleading you.

Follow the instructions that I have posted and no more questions please.

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just download all "disk" drivers which are available on the download page for your motherboard. And then run the setup programs from those drivers. If Windows needs the drivers then it will use them. If it doesn't need them then at least the information for those drivers (.inf files) is already in Windows and Windows knows they exist.

That explanation is probably technically not 100% correct but that's the basic principle how it works.

I agree with the way you do it. Make sure you have a backup and just try. Best case no problem, worst case you still have that backup.

I also suggest you check your motherboard manual for possible M.2 settings (see my post at the beginning).

I wanted to avoid mentioning this, but most of your advice here is wrong. It's having the effect of making Mavideol constantly second guess his actions because everything you write directly contradicts what I have written.

So please, desist for a moment. 

Just now, Bruno123 said:

Why is it so difficult for you to follow instruction? Everything I have written is clear, but you need to stop following OneMoreFarang's posts in this case. He is unintentionally misleading you.

Follow the instructions that I have posted and no more questions please.

ok, got it, no need to get all excited 555 not everybody is a computer wizard, do appreciate the feed back. Now last minute question, Windows 10 is asking me to upgrade to new version 9252, if I download the new version and don't install it immediately, meaning before installing it could I just change the bios settings to AHCI and then install the new version and it may detect the changes without having to boot in safe more.... just asking to save some steps with the safe mode and delete safe mode, what's your advise on that one

5 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

ok, got it, no need to get all excited 555 not everybody is a computer wizard, do appreciate the feed back. Now last minute question, Windows 10 is asking me to upgrade to new version 9252, if I download the new version and don't install it immediately, meaning before installing it could I just change the bios settings to AHCI and then install the new version and it may detect the changes without having to boot in safe more.... just asking to save some steps with the safe mode and delete safe mode, what's your advise on that one

Not being a computer expert means that you need to learn how to follow instructions and no more questions means no more questions.

It seems that you like to ignore what you have been told cos you always have a smarter idea. Just do as you have been instructed and keep your smart ideas for some other day.

40 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

I wanted to avoid mentioning this, but most of your advice here is wrong. It's having the effect of making Mavideol constantly second guess his actions because everything you write directly contradicts what I have written.

So please, desist for a moment. 

I work with computers since DOS 3.3 and I built hundreds or probably by now thousands of them. If you think I am wrong feel free to write whatever you think is correct.

17 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Not being a computer expert means that you need to learn how to follow instructions and no more questions means no more questions.

It seems that you like to ignore what you have been told cos you always have a smarter idea. Just do as you have been instructed and keep your smart ideas for some other day.

Ok, no need to get all worked out, I did as you said, follow the instructions and it ALL works fantastic, no more errors, all drivers downloaded at lightning speed, thanks and my apologies if I <deleted> you off..... life is to short to get mad, relax and enjoy it and btw @OneMoreFarang was trying to help also, no need to go after him, he didn't <deleted> you off, it appears that was me who did it, thus one more time, thank you for your kind assistance/advice and kindly accept my apologies

20 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Ok, no need to get all worked out, I did as you said, follow the instructions and it ALL works fantastic, no more errors, all drivers downloaded at lightning speed, thanks and my apologies if I <deleted> you off..... life is to short to get mad, relax and enjoy it and btw @OneMoreFarang was trying to help also, no need to go after him, he didn't <deleted> you off, it appears that was me who did it, thus one more time, thank you for your kind assistance/advice and kindly accept my apologies

Good to know you got it sorted.

Edited by Eindhoven

31 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

You completely misunderstood. I don't get mad at all. My goal was to get the job done with as few words as possible. You weren't the only one who was assisting.

The problem was that some posts were directly contradicting what I knew to be true. So I asked, politely, to stop for a while, as I could see that you were being distracted by it all.

I simply insisted that you follow my instructions. No malice aforethought and certainly no ill will towards OneMoreFarang nor youself. Sometimes you just need to be firm. No doubt he was doing his best to help. Just in this case, I had a good idea as to what the issue might be. 

Now OMF can add a bit more to his knowledge of what can be done.

No shame in any of it; we are all learning as we go along.

He may know some things that I don't. I wouldn't be embarrassed nor offended by that. 

Anyway, job done.

Edited by Bruno123

8 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

You completely misunderstood. I don't get mad at all. My goal was to get the job done with as few words as possible. You weren't the only one who was assisting.

The problem was that some posts were directly contradicting what I knew to be true. So I asked, politely, to stop for a while, as I could see that you were being distracted by it all.

I simply insisted that you follow my instructions. No malice aforethought and certainly no ill will towards OneMoreFarang nor youself. Sometimes you just need to be firm. No doubt he was doing his best to help. Just in this case, I had a good idea as to what the issue might be. 

Now OMF can add a bit more to his knowledge of what can be done.

No shame in any of it; we are all learning as we go along.

He may know some things that I don't. I wouldn't be embarrassed nor offended by that. 

Anyway, job done.

Thanks, didn't intend to create any misunderstandings, I am glad that you insisted for me to follow the steps, I read it in detail (I do have a tendency to rush the reading instructions @Eindhoven knows about it as well 555) once I read all the info you provided, it was a walk in the park, piece of cake, boot faster, all the questions marks on my "device manager" asking for driver updates all disappear, you did great and do appreciate.

(Joke) Even my computer said thank you for fitting the correct shoes with the correct feet as it has been walking side ways for the past year (wrong driver,  wrong shoe still able to walk but can't run 555)

have a good day

• Thanks 1