Five speed

In the jungle

I was looking at the new MSX 125 on Honda Thailand's website.  I have no interest in the MSX other than the fact that the new model has a five speed gearbox.

Which got me thinking that that gives a path to doing five speed conversions on other Honda models that use the same engine such as the Wave 125, the CT 125 and the Super Cub 125 sold in Europe and America.

I ploughed through the parts books and all the bikes I mention share exactly the same gearbox input and output shafts in their four speed incarnations so I am pretty sure five speed swaps will be feasible.

I quite fancy a five speed CT 125 and it is surprising to me that Honda didn't do that from the start if they had a five speed box waiting in the wings.  One of the main moans about the CT 125 from American Boomers seems to be that the new CT 125 lacks the high/low range swap that the old CT from back in 1834 offered.  A five speed box would go some way to meeting that concern.

It is quite easy if that is what you want. Buy a CT 125 and a MSX125 . Both use if you want and put the MSX engine in the CT. 

Anything else is simple dreaming. 

Or just buy what is available. One cannot get all items in all markets. 

Just now, VocalNeal said:

It is quite easy if that is what you want. Buy a CT 125 and a MSX125 . Both used if you want and put the MSX engine in the CT. 

Anything else is simple dreaming. 

Or just buy what is available. One cannot get all items in all markets. 

On 10/23/2020 at 1:35 PM, In the jungle said:

Well you don't know my capabilities.

For me this swap is kids stuff as it should be for any competent bike shop.

And the parts are surprisingly cheap.

Sounds great;

let us know how it comes out.

????

• Like 1