"Drastic" losses to Thai tourism with 1.57 TRILLION baht hit, admits tourism minister

webfact

16 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It was a tiny factor. They continued to let the Chinese flood into Thailand, long after the virus was known. That was NOT discipline. It was sheer greed. 

There is something else at work here. Thais have a significant natural immunity, it appears. Millions were here during November to February. It is likely tens of thousands of travelers had Covid. Yet? The army is a small factor. They got alot of credit. Was it deserved? And now? 

But Mike, it doesn't make much sense looking at the current infections.

I tend to believe that all was planned to weaken the West, only to let China take over more businesses. 

I don't care if somebody calls me stupid, but it doesn't make much sense if the country where the virus originated doesn't have any issues with the virus while thousands of people in the West die.

All these older people had sons, daughters, and other relatives. It's impressive to see that nobody seems to give a flying kangaroo about China's behavior.

Shouldn't they be held accountable for all the mess? It's all right for China only. 

If anybody tells me that this is a coincidence, I do not believe it. 

ZHONGSHAN, China — This was supposed to be the year that China’s export machine began to stall. President Trump had imposed broad tariffs on Chinese goods. Countries like Japan and France pushed companies to shift production from China. The pandemic had crippled China’s factories by the end of January.

Instead, China Inc. has come roaring back.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/31/business/trumps-tariffs-coronavirus-china-exports.html

Corona map severe.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

But Mike, it doesn't make much sense looking at the current infections.

I tend to believe that all was planned to weaken the West, only to let China take over more businesses. 

I don't care if somebody calls me stupid, but it doesn't make much sense if the country where the virus originated doesn't have any issues with the virus while thousands of people in the West die.

All these older people had sons, daughters, and other relatives. It's impressive to see that nobody seems to give a flying kangaroo about China's behavior.

Shouldn't they be held accountable for all the mess? It's all right for China only. 

If anybody tells me that this is a coincidence, I do not believe it. 

ZHONGSHAN, China — This was supposed to be the year that China’s export machine began to stall. President Trump had imposed broad tariffs on Chinese goods. Countries like Japan and France pushed companies to shift production from China. The pandemic had crippled China’s factories by the end of January.

Instead, China Inc. has come roaring back.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/31/business/trumps-tariffs-coronavirus-china-exports.html

Corona map severe.png

do not believe the chinse and not the NYTIMES...china is suffering badly from this virus

but is doing great job in hiding THE TRUTH.

On 10/23/2020 at 5:55 PM, Flying Saucage said:

It was the paranoid reaction of the government to the pandemic rather than the pandemic itself which caused these 1.57 trillion losses to Thai tourism. 

Instead of gradually opening the country months ago after having learned about the virus and it's transmission and treatment, they decided to block any tourists from coming. So what did they expect, other than ruining the industry?

But of course, there is this masterplan of the generals, to sell the country to China in order to line up the own pockets. So nothing else was to expect.

While I agree with you, just who do you think would be visiting?

I wouldn't because I'd have to pay for 14 days quarantine on return. No matter how much I loved Thailand, a holiday there for the forseeable future is just never going to happen for me.

Add increased price of airtravel and all the hoops to jump through, international travel is not going to be for most IMO, till things return to normal, IF that ever happens.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mung said:

So please tell me how Thailand reacted so fast and so efficiently in this pandemic?

I never said that. You said they were nonchalant and I disagree they reacted better, and still do, than most other countries.

When I traveled to Bangkok on the 5th Feb it was hand sanitiser and mask to get on the minibus, on the BTS and MRT nearly everyone wearing masks. Majority not wearing masks were caucasian foreigners.

Again on the train nearly everyone wearing masks and as soon as the beds were made up people got behind the curtains and remained until time to disembark, very little movement with people being well aware of possible infection.

At the border extra staff controlling the queues, hand sanitiser and mask to approach the desk and fingerprint machine cleaned each time it was used. Between the immigrations there was a control point with staff in hazard suits taking temperature and passport history check. Bit of a panic when they saw my Chinese visa till they realised it was 6 months old.

It is easy for people to exercise 20/20 vision in hindsight and possibly some things could have been better but unlike the west the people saw the problem and reacted positively, overall the government has done a good job with containment. Many countries around the world failed to react so positively and are now paying the price. In some countries there are even mass protests against infection reduction measures, something that could make the situation permanent.

I was here when the SARS outbreak started and if it wasn't for the rapid reaction in Thailand that could have been a whole lot worse.

Your outlook is distorted and wrong to say Thailand was nonchalant.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

peanuts compared with spain losses so get used to it as its the new normal

Hombre,  have you got an explanation of why the infections in Spain are so high?

China is so far away, and I don't think many Chinese tourists fly to Spain to make a holiday.

Did Spanish people bring the disease back, or how could that even happen?

A Bio Weapon that all went wrong is my only explanation.

The US would sue anybody from China if there weren't a mysterious laboratory where America paid 10 million greenbacks that, of course, might not exist anymore.

They were on Chin's ar_e to stop buying, Trump had many sanctions, and then the virus started. What a coincidence that is.

And how convenient for them. 

Now two countries lie, America and China, and now the US wants to choose the Presi?

Couldn't Russia give Trump a couple of million votes for some favors?

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Hopefully, at some point the truth will be revealed. Although, it rarely ever is. Not to us peons. It could very well have been done with malicious intent by China. That despot regime is very nasty, is determined to regain what they consider to be their rightful place in history, and their intentions are not noble, on any level. So, it is reasonable to suspect them.

However, there are a whole range of possible scenarios, aside from the "bat in the market" nonsense. Virtually everything about the "official narrative" smells fishy. 

You can't believe any of them. What amazes me is that Donald doesn't get upset against China on his super speehes.

Wouldn't that help to win the election when you come up with a decent plan that gives American workers jobs back and leaves China wihout orders? 

Any president should consider huge changes if a country like China lies about the virus, the suffering people and just stop buying from them.

But the US had already started to let China produce steel for some bridges,it's already too late. 

On 10/23/2020 at 1:30 PM, aussienam said:

"Every week they open a new class of visa, property owners, elite, wealthy etc.. On top of the already married, Thai family etc.. "  WRONG.  I've been stranded 8 months and the different visa types has been very delayed spanning since lockdown.  Only recently were remaining OA visa holders/applicants able to apply.  

O visa holders are now forced to covert to OA, which for several reasons many cannot (go to expats stranded forums).  

The "howling old folks"?  Really?  You sound like a very heartless patronising individual.  I am in my 50s and computer savvy, applied now because I am finally eligible, but been hell. 

Depends where you are stranded, flight availability, backlog of applicants from that country, amount of available ASQs, etc, that all adds to further delays.  There are genuinely elder expats who are struggling to get back and who do struggle with technology.  Probably some fought in wars too for your country as well.  

If you over 50 get an OA.. Yes you need to do some things, do them.. Maybe you have to go to your home country to apply, go there. 

This is what I mean by howling retirees.. You have a route, you just dont want to be asked to comply, you want it on your terms. 

Another retiree who was vocally slagging the application process in social media groups and 'idiot Thais', and broken systems, he had done everything as requested etc.. I ended up taking on his COE application for him. Nothing was correctly uploaded, images illegible low res phone pictures, an email from an insurance agent uploaded instead of his policy docs. Of course he was being rejected and yet he didnt even understand why (he thought it was his visa, it wasnt) and was another one of those voices you would read and get the idea the COE system is a mess (it isnt), when I start asking him turns out he was telling his Thai wife, who didnt have a computer, to upload things from Thailand.. Just totally his end and not Thailands. I took over his application, tidied and reformatted all his docs, uploaded in correct order and places, COE instantly given. He flew last week. 

There is no shortage of flights now, there is no shortage of ASQ now, theres many many classes of visa eligible to return, really its only the under 50 tourist with no connection to the country and wont spend 500k, which doesnt yet have a route.

What exactly do you want Thailand to do ?? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Hombre,  have you got an explanation of why the infections in Spain are so high?

no idea but theyre in a state of emergency till MAY 2021 !beat that

Edited by 3NUMBAS

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There is no way to stop China they will be the world's number one when it comes to GDP and potentially world power within a decade or two There is no way to stop the arrest and the decline of America, there is no way to "make America great again", it's just not going to happen.

Hole trade war against China is same that shoot in own leg! China control all global trade's! It can control the prices and everything! Like what happen whit steel prices little while back! Business's in other coundrys had big issues to pay prices what China "oder" to steel. And many companys was even hard to get any steel coz China buy all whit huge price!

28 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Hole trade war against China is same that shoot in own leg! China control all global trade's! It can control the prices and everything! Like what happen whit steel prices little while back! Business's in other coundrys had big issues to pay prices what China "oder" to steel. And many companys was even hard to get any steel coz China buy all whit huge price!

China is emerging from Covid smelling like a rose. Their economy will likely outperform all other major nations this year. Thailand is hopelessly mired in inertia. Fear and paranoia rules the day. Tourism will remain decimated for years to come. When you disappear for long enough, you are easily forgotten. 

Unfortunately, the US has an utter incompetent at the helm. Guys like Xi, Kim, Putin and other world leaders outclass him by 50-80 IQ points. He does not stand a chance. And his sledgehammer technique could never work with China. He got knocked out one minute into the first round, by Xi. Knocked out cold. Did not even know what hit him. 

Contrary to the self created myth, Trump can barely negotiate his way out of a paper bag. Just think of how many have gotten over on him, and taken advantage of his lack of skill and prowess, in the past few years. Now, the leaked tax returns paint the rest of the sorry picture. 17 major business failures! Possibly a record. And financial losses for decades. Unless he is lying to the IRS too. Very possible. To have a man so incompetent in business leading the nation is dangerous. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand is hopelessly mired in inertia

Did you mean menusia.  Because it is stuck deep in the feces created by China and then the rest of the world.  Still having a hard time understanding how the Teflon coated Baht just sails along, yet the economy and all has gone deep down the rabbit hole.  The US is also in a quagmire with its failure to help out the citizens and leave the bickering aside. 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The army could not have possibly picked a worse time to show their extreme desperation and fear of losing their power.

People in power are so stupid , they have never get any education to rule nation and normal financial element's! They don't know nothing about health care, education, business . Only know how to count money in own pocket!

They flush this coundry down to drain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

China is emerging from Covid smelling like a rose. Their economy will likely outperform all other major nations this year. Thailand is hopelessly mired in inertia. Fear and paranoia rules the day. Tourism will remain decimated for years to come. When you disappear for long enough, you are easily forgotten. 

Unfortunately, the US has an utter incompetent at the helm. Guys like Xi, Kim, Putin and other world leaders outclass him by 50-80 IQ points. He does not stand a chance. And his sledgehammer technique could never work with China. He got knocked out one minute into the first round, by Xi. Knocked out cold. Did not even know what hit him. 

Contrary to the self created myth, Trump can barely negotiate his way out of a paper bag. Just think of how many have gotten over on him, and taken advantage of his lack of skill and prowess, in the past few years. Now, the leaked tax returns paint the rest of the sorry picture. 17 major business failures! Possibly a record. And financial losses for decades. Unless he is lying to the IRS too. Very possible. To have a man so incompetent in business leading the nation is dangerous. 

The alternative, Joe Biden is worried about "another 4 years of George, er, George..." God help the US and the world. Us Brits could do with a much better leader too. 

On 10/26/2020 at 9:19 PM, LivinLOS said:

If you over 50 get an OA.. Yes you need to do some things, do them.. Maybe you have to go to your home country to apply, go there. 

This is what I mean by howling retirees.. You have a route, you just dont want to be asked to comply, you want it on your terms. 

Another retiree who was vocally slagging the application process in social media groups and 'idiot Thais', and broken systems, he had done everything as requested etc.. I ended up taking on his COE application for him. Nothing was correctly uploaded, images illegible low res phone pictures, an email from an insurance agent uploaded instead of his policy docs. Of course he was being rejected and yet he didnt even understand why (he thought it was his visa, it wasnt) and was another one of those voices you would read and get the idea the COE system is a mess (it isnt), when I start asking him turns out he was telling his Thai wife, who didnt have a computer, to upload things from Thailand.. Just totally his end and not Thailands. I took over his application, tidied and reformatted all his docs, uploaded in correct order and places, COE instantly given. He flew last week. 

There is no shortage of flights now, there is no shortage of ASQ now, theres many many classes of visa eligible to return, really its only the under 50 tourist with no connection to the country and wont spend 500k, which doesnt yet have a route.

What exactly do you want Thailand to do ?? 

I've got no issues with Thailand and their policies.  My issue was excessive delays before over getting all OAs back (I've always been OA) when stranded for so long.  

Elderly folk have tech problems.  Like my mum, she struggles and has cognitive decline normal with age.  So albeit incredibly frustrating at times, need to respect the older folk IMO.  Maybe they need some agents to help them complete the process.  Enough said. Thx. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aussienam said:

I've got no issues with Thailand and their policies.  My issue was excessive delays before over getting all OAs back (I've always been OA) when stranded for so long.  

Elderly folk have tech problems.  Like my mum, she struggles and has cognitive decline normal with age.  So albeit incredibly frustrating at times, need to respect the older folk IMO.  Maybe they need some agents to help them complete the process.  Enough said. Thx. 

Maybe Thailand isnt the place for older folks, with cognitive decline. Consider it an entry test. 

What possible reason would Thailand want to attract that sector ?? High spenders ?? Big earners ?? 

• Like 1