Hoteliers back plan to build bridge connecting Koh Samui with mainland

A bridge would be at least 26kms long at a huge construction cost. Dependant on bridge tolls vs existing ferry fare costs, it could reduce transport costs and certainly speed access to the island. I can see why hotels would want it and I'm sure locals, visitors and other businesses would too. Once the bridge is completed (if ever) I'm sure flight costs to Samui would fall dramatically due to the travel competition.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
5 hours ago, webfact said:

She said it is a plan that has the backing of 495 hotels and would be a boon for tourism especially Thai domestic tourism. 

Open up as a quarantine island and you can kiss goodbye any domestic tourism, as an expat here in Thailand you would be off my bucket list too.

What do they put in the water these people drink 🙈

Who is going to pay for it ? Where will all the traffic go as they can’t make the road wider ? Ferries can’t even avoid each other as it is now so you can bet a bridge would be target practice. They just don’t get it do they , tourism is pretty much done in places like samui and Phuket due to Covid and travel restrictions and will be for several years unless they make everything cheap as chips and improve the exchange rate . 
Although if they start building now it might be finished just in time for when people start to return again !

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Open up as a quarantine island and you can kiss goodbye any domestic tourism, as an expat here in Thailand you would be off my bucket list too.

No point in doing quarantine. Some French woman went through it and left clear of Covid , then contracted it in samui 🙈 oops !

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, madmitch said:

So we have:

The Koh Samui Bridge

The bridge over the gulf connecting Chonburi and Prachuap Khiri Khan provinces

The high speed rail network

Mass transiit systems in Phuket, Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Phitsanulok

The Phuket tunnel and expressway

The continued expansion of the public transport system in Bangkok

The Don Muang Suvarnabhumi link

I've probably missed a few

If gambling were legal I'd run a book on the completion dates of these projects, as long as I keep all stakes for non-completion by 2030.

I don't think you'll survive....

However I am convinced that you will be 100 years old.

A bridge don't solve the Covid-19 crisis, i.e. mentioning Alternative State Quarantine together with a billion dollars, and years ahead construction project, as solution to the present World Wide reduction in tourism, it simply don't make common sense.

Chinese tourists, which are considered as the saver of the crisis, would most certainly wish to fly in directly to the island by both international scheduled flights, and charter flights; just like they have been used to do before the coronavirus lockdown. I cannot imagine Chinese tourists – which according to statistics stays short time only in Thailand – drive 600 kilometers down from Bangkok, and back again, during a five to seven days vacation.

It's furthermore a major investment that might not pay off, as the island cannot accommodate the expected inflow due to lack of infrastructure; the latter might even hold some tourists back already.

The most important investments needed is an upgrade of infrastructure, mainly malfunctioned garbage incinerator(s), a better garbage collection system – including litter bins – improved local electric power supply (which is partly ongoing), and improved public water supply (which is also partly ongoing). Roads and sewer are being done at the moment, but the present road system cannot at all cope with a massive inflow of cars from a bridge.

In my modest opinion, useless wishful thinking, which has been up several times before, and just as pointless as a the suggestions for a second airport, which in real life terms is technically impossible.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, madmitch said:

So we have:

The Koh Samui Bridge

The bridge over the gulf connecting Chonburi and Prachuap Khiri Khan provinces

The high speed rail network

Mass transiit systems in Phuket, Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Phitsanulok

The Phuket tunnel and expressway

The continued expansion of the public transport system in Bangkok

The Don Muang Suvarnabhumi link

I've probably missed a few

If gambling were legal I'd run a book on the completion dates of these projects, as long as I keep all stakes for non-completion by 2030.

2130 more likely  

Or should I choose 2525

Edited by Grumpy one