Power adaptor for doorbell camera

rayinkrabi

Hi all, I recently bought & fitted a doorbell camera. All seems good & it works better than expected as it's located about 35 mtr's from my front door. My problem is that the rechargeable batteries only last a week & not the 2 or 3 months I was expecting. This is prob because they are only cheapies bought online but I'm now inclined to hardwire the thing to bypass this issue altogether.  My question therefore, is it ok to simply use an old spare plug-in 9v adaptor for the job? (The dooorbell spec states 8/24 v) external power required, or should I buy a purpose made transformer?.  Oh, & pls no smart ars remarks like 'why not google it' etc. as I've serched the web for ages & haven't found a simple answer so far. 

Hi Crossy, (now here's a name that I know & trust over the years), thx for the quick reply...I should explain that whilst I'm ok to fit plugs & extension outlets etc. I'm certainly not a competant electrician but I know enough to give the subject extreme respect :-)...Here's a couple of pic'e that should answer your question...

Power adaptor.jpg

Doorbell spec.jpg

4 minutes ago, rayinkrabi said:

My guess is it's saying anything between 8 & 24 volt output is ok...Why do you ask?

Doorbell spec 2.jpg

Well it gets  more confusing   now  AC  from 8 to 24Volts  

(AC maybe a misprint in the user manual ? )

the transformer you posted details of says its a DC transformer..

USB supplies 5Volts DC     Battery is DC too.

Yep, I agree Crossy, I've read & learnt a lot today about adaptors & transformers.  I've got lots of tech 'spares' here including many old heavy adaptor transformers that weigh a ton & not safe (imo) to plug in due to the 'loose fit' of the pins.  They certainly have come on a great deal over the years, so I'm going to use the one that came with my TP Link router.

1 minute ago, rayinkrabi said:

No but I read on-line that it doesn't matter which way it's wired (?)

It's probably intended to work from a doorbell transformer which are AC out, DC will be fine either way round.

Sorry Crossy but now I'm a bit confused re your sentence 'DC will be fine either way round.'  Yes, I've read that it can be used with an existing doorbell transformer (which I don't have ), isn't the power socket I'll plug the adaptor into AC out & the adaptor then converts the current to DC to power the bell? .  Although it clearly states 'AC' on the doorbell backplate, plus 'M5 (whatever that is) so maybe the bell itself converts the current & not the adaptor?.

Edited by rayinkrabi
Attempt to clarify my post.

7 minutes ago, rayinkrabi said:

Sorry Crossy but now I'm a bit confused re your sentence 'DC will be fine either way round.'  Yes, I've read that it can be used with an existing doorbell transformer (which I don't have ), isn't the power socket I'll plug the adaptor into AC out & the adaptor then converts the current to DC to power the bell? . 

A doorbell transformer is just a transformer (about 12V AC out) without the salad dressing needed to create the DC. Don't worry about it, hook up your power supply either way round and it should be good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No problem keeping the doorbell on 27/7 power, but maybe you should check the settings.  Sounds like the motion detect is constantly being triggered, therefore, it's constant filming and using battery power. 

If it has an SD card to store the footage, this will kill the SD card quite quickly as it's "looping" a lot.

Motion detect should be set for anything approaching your front door, or maybe anything in your yard, but not for every car that drives past.