Royal Enfield Interceptor 650, your thoughts

Fab5BKK

It seems to be a pretty good bike.

Before going for a test ride, I'd like to get owner's feedbacks:
* Overall experience
* Things that need to be improved / changed
* Current "best deals" available in Bangkok

Many Thanks in advance!

I am not an owner but I tried one at the Pattaya dealer.

I really liked it, nippy in traffic, very easy to ride, good acceleration up to app 140, all in all, I was pretty impressed considering the price.

I also managed trying the new Street Twin from Triumph, a direct competitor and to be honest I liked the Interceptor more.

I felt the Interceptor was more comfortable for me (have long legs) but okay the ST have a bit more grunt but at almost double price, not worth it in my opinion.

The Interceptor needs a bit louder pipes and the dealer said; most buyers gets the pipes changed pretty quickly.

I don't like spoked wheels because of the inner tubes and more demanding maintenance so I hope they will offer a model with alloy wheels one day.

I will not rule out I am getting an Interceptor one day.

Funny enough I came across the reviews of these a few days ago and went to RE shop in Phuket to have a look, I sat on it a bit and it's just reminded me of my first bike - well, not the size but the seating position..., my first bike was a CG lookalike Yamaha two stroke 80cc...

It looks like a solid built, but a bit rough in the style, like they deliberately chosen not to go for smooth edges, and then engine is so big, it just bulges out , Indian style...!????

I looked for a comparison review with Vulcan S 650, but not found any - I guess not in same league, they compared it with Kawa 800 and Leoncino 500, a bit odd...

There was a Thai guy there buying the GT version, more sporty. Very good reviews generally but these are only been out for 2 or 3 years, with 3 years warranty, so I guess they fix any issues so far, have to see if it lasts beyond 3 years...!

Interestingly there aren't many used for sale, do maybe that's a good sign...

Edited by Agusts

I put the AEW pipes on mine fairly soon after buying. 14,000 bht  I like the Interceptor, I hadn't ridden a big bike in years so it was a good beginner again. It has good balance, decent power for 47 hp. I'm happy with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I checked one out but I went with the Vulcan 650.The RE looked ok.Solid enough but it was too tall for me and with my buggered knees [I get one steel one next year sometime] I need forward controls.To be honest I love theVulcan.It has a lot of plastic but the thing really flys.I have a 2007 Triumph America 865 and a 2019 1200 Speedmaster The Vulcan would leave the merica like it was standing still and I dare say wouldn't be embarassed by the 1200.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2020 at 1:07 PM, Fab5BKK said:

It seems to be a pretty good bike.

Before going for a test ride, I'd like to get owner's feedbacks:
* Overall experience
* Things that need to be improved / changed
* Current "best deals" available in Bangkok

Many Thanks in advance!

It seems to be a pretty good bike for what?

The city? Touring? Racing? Shopping around the corner?

Many bikes are good for whatever they are built for. And they are often not good for many other situations.

What do you want to do with that bike? And "ride it" is not a sufficient answer. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What do you want to do with that bike?

Attract younger women.

I wanted one too, but really too much money for what you're getting.

Settled for a secondhand (5 year old) Honda CB300F for 50k does just as well, and probably more reliable.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems to be a pretty good bike for what?

The city? Touring? Racing? Shopping around the corner?

Many bikes are good for whatever they are built for. And they are often not good for many other situations.

What do you want to do with that bike? And "ride it" is not a sufficient answer. 

I'm with you on that, why don't people go and ride it,  IMHO there better bikes in that type in Thailand you only get what you pay for.

Reminds me of my old Pather that I had 50 + years ago. ???? 

For fork sake, buy the Interceptor 650, it's only 220K. At that price it needn't be your only one (Big Bike).

The Interceptor 650 is 47 hp, nimble in traffic, plenty of power for open road. I'm not saying it's the greatest but it's alot of fun, you can always pay 550K for Triumph t100  900cc, the Kawi 800 W looks about the same, priced in the 300K's.

• Like 1

Here's the deal.....If Brexit works out they may be cheaper in the UK, if so may get one next year while things are still working and before the C19 bogeyman gets us all. Portugal is a great biking country, with Spain/Gib close by and I have 3 years before I need an MOT. Bought a black leather jacket and black helmet a couple of days ago, so good to go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I won I own an Interceptor 650 that has just hit the 10,000 kilometer mark. 

Overall experience has been fantastic. The bike is a pure pleasure to ride and build quality is excellent. My bike is stock with a couple accessories  made by Royal Enfield, ( tall windshield, small crash bars, and sump guard) which fit great and compliment the bike. I do my own service because it is so simple, (valve ajustment and oil change) and my because the dealer is 250 kilometers away. I just returned from a trip to Pai where I ran into some friends who have the same bike and have nothing but positive thing to say about this bike. If you are looking for a retro classic to tool around Thailand with at a great price I would look no further.

•  
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/8/2020 at 5:37 PM, BritManToo said:

Attract younger women.

I wanted one too, but really too much money for what you're getting.

Settled for a secondhand (5 year old) Honda CB300F for 50k does just as well, and probably more reliable.

How many young chicks has it pulled for you? ????

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

220,000 is a really good price for so much bike. I wonder if we won't see a substantial price hike when the economy recovers.

No I don't think so.

They haven't dropped the prices on bikes/cars during the crises but good deals are around.

I was having a look at the Kawasaki Versys 1000, 100k discount.

Yamaha 900 tracer are also heavily discounted but only the non GT model, maybe they want to clear stock before the new Tracer comes out with a whole new engine.

I am very interested in the new 900 tracer GT but are afraid it will quite expensive, 1800$ more in the US over the old one.