Is it currently possible to apply for Non-O retirement visa without leaving Thailand first?

I was going to get my retirement visa last January, but a visa agent instead advised I instead get a 1 year extension on my previous Elite visa, effectively making it 5 years + 1 year. So I did that assuming I will apply for the retirement visa in Jan 2021. So far so good.

Obviously things have changed since then. While I can theoretically leave and possibly even return to Thailand, it would not be without an incredible amount of hassle and expense, not to mention it seems ridiculous when all I'm doing is leaving simply to get a stamp in my passport. I've got a home and family here and it would be a tremendously stressful experience if they don't know when, or even if, I'm ever coming back.

I meet all the requirements for a retirement visa right now. I'm Australian. Does anyone know if Thai immigration is currently issuing Non-O visas in-country on a compassionate basis so I don't have to leave?

• Like 1

You entered Thailand on PE and I think that's an issue to be able to obtain a non o (retirement).

If you had entered on visa exempt or tourist visa then no problem. 

Think you need (when possible) to exit Thailand and reenter visa exempt and obtain your non o at immigration

Edited by DrJack54

The problem with changing Elite PE visa is that it is not considered a tourist or a non immigrant visa.

You would not be able to apply for a non-o visa at immigration with one since it can only be done with a visa exempt or tourist visa entry. You might want to check with an agent about doing it since I can recall a report of one being arranged with immigration.

Maybe with a little luck you could leave and then easily re-enter the country in January but not likely.

• Like 1

I got a Non O without leaving Thailand, ask so many people they all said no you have to leave and do, <deleted> found a small shop near Hua Hin Railway station she did all the paperwork and came with me to immigration from memory l think it cost 15,000 baht, cheaper than having to leave

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brayka said:

You can only change visa when your current visa expires, you can not switch as long as yours is valuable.

You cannot change visas or apply for a non immigrant visa unless you have a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

I think you mixing up extensions of stay and visas. A extension of stay does not have to be expired to change the reason for it. When changing from certain types of extensions the current extension must be canceled before changing the reason for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boedog said:

I got a Non O without leaving Thailand, ask so many people they all said no you have to leave and do, <deleted> found a small shop near Hua Hin Railway station she did all the paperwork and came with me to immigration from memory l think it cost 15,000 baht, cheaper than having to leave

How did you last enter Thailand. Visa exempt or tourist visa or....?

• Thanks 1

Someone on another topic said they got a retirement extension without any funds in the bank.... and that was directly with immigration. Cost 15k in "tea money". Someone here says they got a non O for 15k...... 

I would approach immigration and then if no joy an agent and explain your needs and that the cost and inconvenience of departing and returning  is so high.... could they arrange an "alternative" way to get an extension based on retirement...... might cost more than 15k all together but must be worth it. The "correct" method would cost.... 100k in total?

• Haha 2

On 10/24/2020 at 12:07 PM, Boedog said:

A Non-Imm-O entry can be obtained by converting from a Tourist Visa or Visa Exempt Entry at domestic immigration and usually costs 2000 baht. 

(A Non-Imm-O Visa is placed in the passport and immediately marked as used, along with a 90 day Permit to Stay).

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1