BREAKING: French woman on Koh Samui tests positive for COVID-19

Jonathan Fairfield

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

the woman reportedly developed a fever but managed to go shopping

While I'm no fan of lockdown, that is just disgraceful. If one is not well, stay the **** home. That applies to any disease and a fever indicates disease.

This is odd. We live near Bophut Big C and go there several times a week. Never mind the irresponsibility of going shopping while having a fever, it is impossible to walk in without having your temperature scanned. Do the thermometers not work? I suspected they were Mickey Mouse seeing as they look like the $2 golf ball detector aka $10,000 bomb scanner the military spend big bucks on a few years back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

So what? It's still going to be detecting the virus long after you've ceased to be infectious so the problem of false positives remains. This will be a particular issue as large numbers of people become infected over the winter and recover but still test positive weeks or months later.

In this specific case, the French woman is not asymptomatic.  She is showing symptoms and has a fever.  Far from the tests she took being negative for the actual virus.  She has been tested twice.  She did not test positive in quarantine nor did she have a viral load from having it previously.

17 hours ago, Sunderland said:

Notice that it took 2 more days after she tested positive to be announced.

I wonder how many days it would take to report a Chinese infected person ? - Probably none, we wouldn't hear about it.......!!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Misab said:

Farangs stranded abroad and cannot come back. Then here is a French Tourist how is that possible??????

She's not a tourist, she lives here, and her son goes to the same school as my daughter

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Neilly said:

She's not a tourist, she lives here, and her son goes to the same school as my daughter

She must be a dual national then, Thai married to a Frenchman then.  Makes sense to how they returned. Hope she has a speedy recovery.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

It sounds very similar to that Thai lady a few months ago who tested positive after leaving the 14-days quarantine. There was talk then by some senior medics that quarantine needs to be increased to 21 or even 28 days, but then the authorities decided that since she'd been in Loei that explained everything, lol, and there was no need to change anything. (Loud sounds of dirt being swept under a carpet.) Even way back in February and March, there were reports coming from China that the virus might have an incubation period that's longer than 14 days, so this is nothing new, but it certainly is proof that the idiot tourism minister and the crackpot health minister have no clue what they're talking about when they suggest reducing the 14-day quarantine period.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, newnative said:

I'm wondering why her second test while in quarantine was not done on the last day of quarantine rather than, apparently, the 11th day.  Why have 14 days of quarantine if the final test is done before the 14th day?

I guess its to get the result back before they get released, i don't think they get an instant on the day answer

I though no tourist were allowed in to the Kingdom. Especially from  high risk countries . so how did they manage it . my friend in the UK is desperate to come back here but cannot due to covid19. now the infection are on a small island i would hope it's not the case it will spread. but i hope she makes a speedy recovery .

I goes to show the tests are inaccurate and quarantine does not work , 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

they've admitted this for a long time.  As has pretty much every other country in the world.

PCR tests are not 100% accurate.  And this virus is not 100% known.

Exactly.  Several several studies have found that while PCR tests are the "gold standard", they can still be more that 20% inaccurate. That kind of false negative is too high to assume a negative test means no Covid-19.  https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2015897

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

I though no tourist were allowed in to the Kingdom. Especially from  high risk countries . so how did they manage it . my friend in the UK is desperate to come back here but cannot due to covid19. now the infection are on a small island i would hope it's not the case it will spread. but i hope she makes a speedy recovery .

Yeah, I was wondering exactly the same thing...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:
26 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

15 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Yeah, I was wondering exactly the same thing...

In some articles that I have read, they mention dual Thai/French nationality.

If that is the casae, then she would be allowed to travel on a repatriation flight.

The papers/politicians are brilliant at calling everyone a 'tourist'

eg 39 Chinese 'tourists' who are actually a government delegation!!!

A lot of people seem so hung up on the ’tourist’ word used. Are we not already familiar with the highly erroneous announcements and clumsy reporting of basic facts?.  It's obvious this lady is not a tourist. She will have had to enter on a Non-Imm visa either through work or being a spouse to or parent of a Thai national (or other requirements). 

The French lady’s visa status is superfluous to the story at hand which is that someone has tested positive after being released from quarantine.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:
1 hour ago, yogavnture said:

in usa we dont care about covid . hell i had 3 people on my block get it last week .  so one person got it in thailand omg!!!  end of world

That type of flippant attitude is exactly why you have such high Covid numbers. 

Didn't you know, he is the voice of 328 Million others from the USA.....:whistling:

she was on a flight with people who were infected.ie thais who dont need testing whilst we do,so strange this massive loophole is always somehow overlooked paris bkk is a long flight so.....the other option is she caught it here or the test is faulty but if u test pos a 2nd tect is suposed to be given right away .is it?we know how things work here,ie loading flights with possible positives!

• Like 2