BREAKING: French woman on Koh Samui tests positive for COVID-19

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, yogavnture said:

in usa we dont care about covid . hell i had 3 people on my block get it last week .  so one person got it in thailand omg!!!  end of world

I know two people who got in the USA. They got sick.... and then they got better. Life goes on, remember people?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

How are “French tourists” getting In and not retirees? 

maybe she caught on plane. Repatriating Thais are not tested prior to flight unlike d- farang and sit packed together on plane.  Ridiculous as it is. 

not good for the future this. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

the woman reportedly developed a fever but managed to go shopping

While I'm no fan of lockdown, that is just disgraceful. If one is not well, stay the **** home. That applies to any disease and a fever indicates disease.

Is it not possible to identify the Big C shop or her area of residence?

Well I think the 10 day quarantine which is now being talked  is about to be changed back to the 14 with maybe the 7 days after being introduced again so 21 days 

Will be interesting to see how the Chinese  tourists  work out after their 14 day Quarantine if any positive cases  you can forget about any future Tourist arrivals 

"Certainly the place they quarantined and conditions there need to be examined."
Most likely she did pick it up while in quarantine.

But as we know that all Thais always do there job very well and newer do any shortcuts, it is hard to explain how it could happen.

30 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

My Thai fiancé tells me that on the news America has a vaccine. What a crock of BS Do they now get news from right wing media?

There is no vaccine available  in America and no one is claiming that there is.

I don't know what your fiance heard, or from where, but likely she ,misunderstood it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Aussiepeter said:

. My own belief about C-19, given that I have a real Uni-degree with a major in Chemistry is that viruses, any viruses, can't survive in heat. Last time I looked, LOS wasn't cold. Ever. It just makes sense. 

Really?

Then explain Singapore, which has had almost 58,000 cases.

Or Brazil with over 5 million cases

Edited by Kevin2012

16 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

But let’s suppose that it’s only random error that we need to be concerned about and that it’s correct that if someone is tested twice there’s only a 0.2% chance of getting a false positive.  At first blush that sounds pretty good, but if the actual infection rate of those tested was less than 0.2% then more than half of the positives that are detected would be false.  To understand why, let's suppose that the infection rate was zero in the general public.  Then we'd still get 2 positives out of every 1000 tests just due to the test's specificity but all of them would be false.  If the real infection rate was 0.2%, then we would find 2 real positives per 1000 people tested plus 2 per 1000 arising from the test's specificity, so on average, 2 out of the 4 positives would be false.  Thus the lower the infection rate the higher the specificity of the test needs to be.

If you understand how a PCR test works, you will see why it is very accurate. You take a sample (provide it has been collected properly) and amplify it. If you have a certain viral load, you are considered infected. You can’t mess up seeing the genetic material in the sample! Keep in mind this only tests for active infections. If you have a low viral load, it won’t be detected. 

21 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

That's the "Covid free Thailand" up the Suwanee ! 

She may have caught it from an untested Thai.

France is a cesspool of CoVid19 , with cases going through the roof.

Her incubation period was extended most likely ,  as opposed to her chance meeting of a Thai carrier in 2 days .

Come on ,  forget the conspiracy theories ,  & think logically .

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, thaijett said:

Her incubation period was extended most likely ,  as opposed to her chance meeting of a Thai carrier in 2 days .

Probably. They can also look at the genetic signature of the virus and see what strain it came from.

5-7 days is only an average incubation period. It can be more or less.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thaijett said:
22 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

That's the "Covid free Thailand" up the Suwanee ! 

She may have caught it from an untested Thai.

I think thats the most logical explanation [her incubation period was extended].

"When you hear hoofbeats think horses not zebra’s !!!” - Occams razor 

This is nature after all and as much as we try to understand and explain things, there will always be exceptions. 

As long those making decisions are intelligent enough not to react with sweeping policy changes to the exceptions or misunderstanding of what is truly going on. 

20 minutes ago, thaijett said:

Apparently she came from a part of France (Limoges) with very low COVID. Between that and the time lag it is very unlikely the infection was incurred in France.  The authorities are quoted in today's Bangkok Post as stating they believe she was infected in Thailand, which they would not say lightly or readily.

Obviously there is no conspiracy involved here.

She either had a statistically unusual (but not impossible) incubation period duration (long or short, depending on whether infected during the flight/at the airport -- in which case unusually long -- or after discharge from Quarantine -- in which case unusually short)  OR she became infected while in quarantine.

• Like 2

I have a very good reason to come to Thailand (to participate a court case) but cannot come as my country, France, is not qualified to apply for that 14 days quarantine visa due to too much Covid infections in France. How could she apply for that visa as a French? Living in a Covid free country or am I missing something about how to apply?

My personnal case (to attend a court case or a convocation by an attorney or a court...) is not given in all the reasons that qualify you to apply for that visa; at my great despair...

22 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

So either the 14 day quarantine is a load of BS or Thailand isn't as secure as they lead us to believe...

My god you believed the govenment the thai govenment stupid is stupid be ... virus can stay on metal surfaces for up too 21 days and soft eg clothes suit cases for 28 days well that is what UN who is saying and i believe but you believed thai government 555555

People here comment on how she got into Big C or 7/11 on Samui, given the temperature checking , if she had a fever by then?

I decided,  for fun, to check the local 7/11 mounted hand temperature device.

It's always 36.3 for me (and most ahead of me).

So whilst inside I grabbed a cold can of beer, held it for a few minutes then stuck my hand in front of the reader again.

It went ballistic with loud alarm and flashing red light and "low temperature" on the readout. 

So it works !!

22 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Health officials are now trying to determine if she contracted COVID-19 while in Thailand.

What ?? No she kept it in her suitcase till she felt like getting it !

Maybe if they actually started testing people for it they might realise they aren’t as great as they think at keeping numbers down !!

• Like 1