BREAKING: French woman on Koh Samui tests positive for COVID-19

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, Miami007 said:

How was she allowed to enter as a French citizen in the first place?

I was under the impression that borders were closed except for diplomats and people with work permits. 

STV only had first arrivals this week from China?

Something is missing from the story. 

Early on in the reporting, it was said that the lady in question had dual passports. Both Thai and French.

However, that does not fit the government's politics, so she is a tourist. (French)

It seems to me that the most dangerous place in Thailand is in quarantine.

By the way, the STV's from China were a government delegation. Not tourists. (As said by the Foreign ministry, not the TAT.)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Mullis -- who died before COVID was ever identified -- never said anything of the sort.

What makes you think Thailand is using a high amplification? And not factoring amplification into its diagnostics?  In fact prior announcements have done exactly that, i.e. specified when the amplification was such that the person was unlikley to have live virus present.

Note that you will not get a positive PCR result at higher amplifications unless the person has at some point had COVID and still retains some of the virus's genetic material. No amount of amplification will cause a positive result otherwise.

The NHS is using 45x, USA 40x and India 40x, I would assume everywhere is using around 40 to 45.

There was a video posted on here with Dr Mullis saying exactly what I quoted and that was you can find anything with PCR if you look hard enough, he was talking about the misuse of PCR, I have the video liked in my YouTube.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thai national with French citizenship. Returned as a Thai and her husband and child came as well on the right visas. Thats how I read the info.  They live on Samui, not tourists.

no, everybody is a tourist for Thailand government.

But i know one Thai national woman born in France (so she born as French woman) and she speak Thai pretty good and maybe she is better Thai than some other born in Thailand (not maybe, it is sure).

But still the people in the administration talk to her as a French woman and not a Thai (i don't know what is "Thai" followed by "national" concept mean... is it different than "Thai" ?).

Maybe this is the story time there ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

So how did this woman catch the virus, is she an anti-masker, or is she one of those who

have to hug everyone they meet up with.  Having no morals, she goes shopping with a fever,

how uncaring and callous. I hope that no one else has gotten sick because of her.

Geezer

maybe a "dirty charly worker" ?

So what does this woman do?

Work with the French Embassy or something?

Because most people would not visit their embassies once quarantine is over.

Or is she a business woman of some sort?

So she got admitted to the extortionate private Bangkok Hospital in Samui, probably had to pay a fortune for a covid test, probably had to push them as well for the test, seems like hospitals in Thailand are reluctant to test and will do everything in their power to convince you not to test, in line with the Government policy - do not test and you will not find -. "Only imported cases, no local transmission" is the motto.

Meanwhile, people die of viral pneumonia or shortness of breath, not being tested, and life goes on in covid free Thailand.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Let's just take at face value the statement from the medical moderator in this forum that the specificity of the PCR test for Covid is 95% and that by repeating the test it becomes 99.75% percent.  That implies that for every 10000 people you test that you'd get "only" 25 false positives.  There are roughly 60 million people in Thailand, so it you tested everyone there should be 150,000 positives just due to the specificity of the test being less than 100%. That compares with the official number of there having been about 3700 cases in Thailand.  So in that sense Trump might have a point about it not being a good thing to test everyone; if Thailand tested more than just those showing symptoms or those who recently entered Thailand they'd have tens of thousands of cases instead of only a few thousand.

But at 100% sure, if you don't test, you will see nothing. And because of that, better would be to not speak about what you can't know about to not loose credibility.

1 hour ago, Sametboy2019 said:

If the husband and child are not positive it seems its not that bad. I honestly believe that people are giving it to themselves more than anything else touching eyes and face

"dream... a more reality..."

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

News break.  They have found the smoking gun. A piece of workout equipment in the ASQ hotel she stayed at tested positive for Covid 19 on it. Now no more mystery.....again you can not make these stories up.

There are indeed specific machines in my gym that work out the ass muscles a.k.a. bum.

Is that what the infected ASQ staff was doing in their cigarette breaks?

4 hours ago, jerolamo said:

But at 100% sure, if you don't test, you will see nothing. And because of that, better would be to not speak about what you can't know about to not loose credibility.

Nice ad hominen, but it's a mathematical fact that the lower the infection rate is in the population that you are testing the higher the specificity of the test needs to be.  In the most extreme case, if the infection rate in the general public was 0% and you tested 100% of the population, then ALL of the postives would be false.  In such cases, more testing would be counter-productive.  If you want to say that Thailand actually has a high infection rate, I'd say "maybe", but it's simply not true that more testing is always better.

Edited by suzannegoh

On 10/23/2020 at 3:09 PM, onebir said:

How long do you think an immune system (that's working well enough to deal with Covid in short order) leaves dead cells floating about?

That is an interesting point. Does the test pick up if you've had it before.? 

On 10/23/2020 at 8:34 PM, judokrab said:

In that case you need to re-evaluate the meaning of "reliable sources" and/or work on your comprehension skills. The inventor of the PCR test could not have said that, because he died before this virus existed.

Your funny.....not, well aware of his passing, only if you could look past the obvious and understand what he actually said in the video, you could make the assertion that what he said is more or less what I was implying, regardless if he actually said the word Covid-19 because he parted before it came to play it's part in the plannedemic.

56 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

plannedemic

if you wish to believe there is such a thing then I feel sorry for you, and all of the others who try to draw a line from the U.S. government's coronavirus response to the many other conspiracy theories circulating about that response. Such Conspiracists believe the pandemic, or " plannedemic," is a coordinated effort to hold American Citizens Hostage as well as the rest of the world and institute martial law.  There is no such Conspiracy.  I do not understand why people believe such ludicrous ideas.  I guess that if it does not fit into your beliefs, and not the way that someone would think, well then it just must be a conspiracy to keep everyone held down.  Anyone for Soylent Green....... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

The NHS is using 45x, USA 40x and India 40x, I would assume everywhere is using around 40 to 45.

There was a video posted on here with Dr Mullis saying exactly what I quoted and that was you can find anything with PCR if you look hard enough, he was talking about the misuse of PCR, I have the video liked in my YouTube.

I'm not sure what quote  you're  referring to but the idea that  Karry Mullis said that PCR could not be used to detect viruses has been fact-checked and shown to be false.

See Reuters article below. 

Inventor of PCR method didn't say it can't be used in virus detection

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

On 10/23/2020 at 5:26 PM, Kinnock said:

Most likely cause is that she contracted the virus in the ASQ hotel.  The ASQ will contain people from many high risk countries, and they are only transfered to a hospital if they test positive and develop symptoms.

So there's a good chance of asymptomatic COVID cases in every ASQ.  Then we have staff going from room to room, 'interns' going to the gym and common areas after a (possibly false) negative test, plus the possibility of illicit meetings.

Most likely place to catch COVID in Thailand is probably an ASQ.

Or just in the street. They do not test enough to know how many are contaminated. That's a fact, deny it or not will n ever change the fact.

On 10/23/2020 at 6:34 PM, Sheryl said:

There are new arrivals all the time but each is confined to a separate room and they are not allowed to mingle. Virtually no direct contact with hotel staff either.

Certainly the place they quarantined and conditions there need to be examined.  As well as contact tracing for everyone on the flight (if they flew) they took to Samui.

Bangkok Air PG 167

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

if you wish to believe there is such a thing then I feel sorry for you

No need to be condescending, we are all different and all have our own views and beliefs, that is what makes the world what it is.

The plannedemic as I call it is because too many responded to quickly to take control of something that didn't need to be taken control of, and if I am correct those that took control early stand to make a lot of money through their contacts put in places to make things go as smooth as planned for the vaccines to follow in 2021.

I mean if you look at the statistics and how they are handled, for example, fear mongering on how many people are becoming infected daily, including asymptomatic ones, those who have tested false positive, i.e. those that have had it and cannot reinfect, they all get bundled into the statistics, the figures always say how many people are infected, not how many people are dying, or how the death rate is going down the longer the virus has been around, in other words, people will always focus on the big number, not the smaller numbers.

For anyone with half a brain who researches enough will know that the death count of the virus peaked in Europe in March/April i.e. when everyone dying back then was labeled as a coronavirus death (peaked), but now that the excess deaths have been looked into, and reporting of deaths has changed to be in line with standard practise, we can see that the death rates have plummeted to date, taking into consideration the European heat waves and going years back to 2010 to 2019, suffice to say averaged out, it is not a pandemic.

If you enjoy reading and looking at statistics, knock yourself out reading the link below, pity is only looked upon when one lacks understanding of situations, in other words is less open minded. 

Have a good one.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/pcr-positives-what-do-they-mean/

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Nice ad hominen, but it's a mathematical fact that the lower the infection rate is in the population that you are testing the higher the specificity of the test needs to be.  In the most extreme case, if the infection rate in the general public was 0% and you tested 100% of the population, then ALL of the postives would be false.  In such cases, more testing would be counter-productive.  If you want to say that Thailand actually has a high infection rate, I'd say "maybe", but it's simply not true that more testing is always better.

You are champion of rhetoric, i admit, but close to null in mathematics, and rhetoric doesn't works with me.

An infection rate of 0% where population are tested positive is not 0% and you will failed to demonstrate them to be false positive.

You put the logic upside down, and you seems to be happy with that, but it is not logic at all.

But let's go deeper in this story COVID fear story scam time...

1/ some tests search deep to 35 level down and will find any virus who is actually dead in the body (wrong positives), but ask yourself why do they do that test if not relevant (there is always a reason) ?

2/ In all the country around the world where infected population is low, there is not much test down, are you able to make the correlation ? I think yes... would you like to just do it ? Maybe not... question is: why do you lie to yourself ?

3/ The COVID does mutate himself already more than 20 times and has low power, in some country, they said everybody who die is from COVID... what ever sick with... it is COVID (so wrong number of real die because of COVID). But why ? When you look at how many people die last year and year before again, it is close to the same... we are not stupid (but looks like they try to use the fear... do you know what is the fear used for in the communication and by who ? instruct yourself and ask yourself some questions more).

4/ When you look at COVID, the "r0" (transmition rate) is around 2.8 (you have one who contaminate 2.8 people). Where ever you go it is around 2.8 because it is the same virus. But now, look at the numbers and analyze (i know you are unable to do so, because your logic is poor and demonstrate that you can not and prefer rhetoric colored sentences, but let's try... there is a start for everything): compare the death with the contaminated number, and the population number with contamination number, then test number done... when ratio between countries is around 3.5 maximum, there is a clue that ok, they play the same game to test and report well, but when difference is up to 60, there is a bug who show a kind of lie/error on the target.

The tax administrative office use kind of statistics (many better to look closer, really we can do that as we do everyday) to predict where is a bug (a false declaration) and then we know at 100% a corruption is happening there.

We can just do it with country for COVID around the world and see the facts as no surprise, there is many bugs there.

Just do it, don't lie to yourself just because you are stubborn, it will failed in front of the statistic reality.

I think COVID start one day and there was fear for many reasons. Then next to this, it becomes a world wide virus and then a world wide fear propagation. Next to this, economic had lot of problem already (due to corruption) and there is not enough liquidity in all the bank. There is also not enough gold to paid the money in virtual circulation from long times ago (and maybe that is the real deep problem). Some businessmen only use what exist in the actuality news to make business and invest... now they did invest in COVID vaccine as it is sure a world wide business and then a very profitable business to invest with...

Now the reality is not what they expect it to be and they can loose lot of money. The virus doesn't kill much really, but need to propagate the fear for the business to not failed.

I'm not sure, but there is so much corruption with pseudo-expert who speak as official in TV propaganda (and designated by government for doing that) with close to no experience/knowledge but paid by pharmaceutic industry a lot (interest conflict). Opposed to hundred of higher reputation medics who contradict them (official designated experts) and sign petition against them but who are not authorized to speak in TV propaganda... it is so clear !

It is the new corrupted world of lie and fear... COVID does exist, and we should take care to the fragile population, sure, but it doesn't kill much and there is a big deal in the background and to much corruption, world wide. The world wide economic system is very open to corruption... to much... and that is why there is more and more problems with corrupted businessmen who can now corrupt nations.

Look at this story as if you were a police officer who makes an investigation ... locate and write down the facts which show a cheating which is never judged, look at where is the motive of a crime, what are the psychological profiles and the credibility of the official personalities which are designated to speak, their own relations with personal interest, etc...
There is a big problem ... bigger than COVID, that's for sure.

Edited by jerolamo

14 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

pity is only looked upon when one lacks understanding of situations, in other words is less open minded. 

Not condescending at all.  Since I do not have Asperger's syndrome, and what you state as Pity, is nothing more than a lack of Situational awareness when it comes to perception of the elements in the environment, comprehension of the situation and projection of future status.  I also look at it as a lack of cognitive understanding in reality.  Nobody is truly closed-minded, unless of course they have been preconditioned, and led down the path without having the ability to use reasoning and deduction to make a choice for themselves.  The most recent term used for what I have described is Sheeple.  Even that term is not an appropriate word to use to describe an individual.

Back onto the OP.  Testing has been conducted and she is truly positive and showing signs and symptoms which are being treated.  I wish her a speedy recovery.  The Hotel ASQ, needs a good scrubbing as well.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'm not sure what quote  you're  referring to but the idea that  Karry Mullis said that PCR could not be used to detect viruses has been fact-checked and shown to be false.

See Reuters article below. 

Inventor of PCR method didn't say it can't be used in virus detection

I wasn't referring to that, I was referring to what he said about finding anything with PCR if look hard enough, the amplification.

2 hours ago, jerolamo said:

You are champion of rhetoric, i admit, but close to null in mathematics, and rhetoric doesn't works with me.

An infection rate of 0% where population are tested positive is not 0% and you will failed to demonstrate them to be false positive.

You put the logic upside down, and you seems to be happy with that, but it is not logic at all.

But let's go deeper in this story COVID fear story scam time...

1/ some tests search deep to 35 level down and will find any virus who is actually dead in the body (wrong positives), but ask yourself why do they do that test if not relevant (there is always a reason) ?

2/ In all the country around the world where infected population is low, there is not much test down, are you able to make the correlation ? I think yes... would you like to just do it ? Maybe not... question is: why do you lie to yourself ?

3/ The COVID does mutate himself already more than 20 times and has low power, in some country, they said everybody who die is from COVID... what ever sick with... it is COVID (so wrong number of real die because of COVID). But why ? When you look at how many people die last year and year before again, it is close to the same... we are not stupid (but looks like they try to use the fear... do you know what is the fear used for in the communication and by who ? instruct yourself and ask yourself some questions more).

4/ When you look at COVID, the "r0" (transmition rate) is around 2.8 (you have one who contaminate 2.8 people). Where ever you go it is around 2.8 because it is the same virus. But now, look at the numbers and analyze (i know you are unable to do so, because your logic is poor and demonstrate that you can not and prefer rhetoric colored sentences, but let's try... there is a start for everything): compare the death with the contaminated number, and the population number with contamination number, then test number done... when ratio between countries is around 3.5 maximum, there is a clue that ok, they play the same game to test and report well, but when difference is up to 60, there is a bug who show a kind of lie/error on the target.

The tax administrative office use kind of statistics (many better to look closer, really we can do that as we do everyday) to predict where is a bug (a false declaration) and then we know at 100% a corruption is happening there.

We can just do it with country for COVID around the world and see the facts as no surprise, there is many bugs there.

Just do it, don't lie to yourself just because you are stubborn, it will failed in front of the statistic reality.

I think COVID start one day and there was fear for many reasons. Then next to this, it becomes a world wide virus and then a world wide fear propagation. Next to this, economic had lot of problem already (due to corruption) and there is not enough liquidity in all the bank. There is also not enough gold to paid the money in virtual circulation from long times ago (and maybe that is the real deep problem). Some businessmen only use what exist in the actuality news to make business and invest... now they did invest in COVID vaccine as it is sure a world wide business and then a very profitable business to invest with...

Now the reality is not what they expect it to be and they can loose lot of money. The virus doesn't kill much really, but need to propagate the fear for the business to not failed.

I'm not sure, but there is so much corruption with pseudo-expert who speak as official in TV propaganda (and designated by government for doing that) with close to no experience/knowledge but paid by pharmaceutic industry a lot (interest conflict). Opposed to hundred of higher reputation medics who contradict them (official designated experts) and sign petition against them but who are not authorized to speak in TV propaganda... it is so clear !

It is the new corrupted world of lie and fear... COVID does exist, and we should take care to the fragile population, sure, but it doesn't kill much and there is a big deal in the background and to much corruption, world wide. The world wide economic system is very open to corruption... to much... and that is why there is more and more problems with corrupted businessmen who can now corrupt nations.

Look at this story as if you were a police officer who makes an investigation ... locate and write down the facts which show a cheating which is never judged, look at where is the motive of a crime, what are the psychological profiles and the credibility of the official personalities which are designated to speak, their own relations with personal interest, etc...
There is a big problem ... bigger than COVID, that's for sure.

Let's suppose that the Covid19 cases in Thailand are being dramatically understated.  I think that is the case.  But how would Thailand be better off if those numbers were not understated?  If having more accurate numbers doesn't improve public health then the numbers don't have much utility, and if the epidemic can be hidden just by jiggering the numbers it must not be a zombie apocalypse.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 3:47 AM, Chelseafan said:

So either the 14 day quarantine is a load of BS or Thailand isn't as secure as they lead us to believe...

TO have low covid-19 cases is to test a few.

1 Thai people with symptoms stays home and do not go to doctors because Thai people never like to take medceine. THye usually go to the pharmacy and getsomething from them.

2. Thai government does not have apolicy to do mass testing. Only on the cases reproted.

So It is very obvious that Covid-19 is rampant in Thailand and not reported.

First, this woman and husband are crazy coming to Thailand to enjoy their nice home on Kho Samui.

They must be rich and somehow connected with the Thai government to be let in the country.

It is one of those things that the Thai gvt make exception for few if you pay "good" bribes to come in.

For them to go to the french embassy, it seemed to be connected to the diplomatic corps. 

Thus whole thing seemed suspicious just tlike the egyptian pilot . Somebody in the government did not their job right.

Never heard that after 14 days quarantine you can get sick few days after the quarantine.

Here are my questions

THE BIG QUESTION :HOW THESE PEOPLE  WERE ABLE TO GET AN ENTRANCE VISA TO THAILAND?

JUST ON THE FACT THAT THEY HAVE A PROPERTY IN SAMUI>> MANY OF US HAVE MONEY < PROPERTIES , WIVES AND CHILDREN _WE CAN"T GET BACK TO THAILAND>

SECOND BIG QUESTION FRANCE AND OTHER EU COUNTRIES HAVE HIGH EPIDEMIC COVID-19 SO WHAT HAPPEN TO THE "BUBBLE>. THIS GOVERNMENT WITH NO EDUCATION AND NASTY ATTITUDETOWARD FARANGS ARE JUST BRAIN DEAD. A CHANGE OF GOVERNMENT IS WELCOME AT THIS TIME>

I ALSO HEAR THAT FARANGS WITH GOVERNMENT CONNECTION ARE SNEAKING IN THAILAND> HOW THAT IS HAPPENNING?